Is it wrong to only want to talk to someone, if you're going to get something out of it?

I feel so guilty for even having to ask this question. But, me and grandmother recently stopped talking, it's been about 2 weeks now, and even though I love her so much, the only reason I feel tempted to talk to her is because she would occasionally send me money. I feel so superficial and like a bitch, I don't even know why or how I'm thinking like this. I feel selfish. I know , not anyone can tell me why I'm thinking the way I am, but I just don't know what to do. I feel like my thought process is all f***ed up.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• well, I understand. talking to old people can be a real drag - they're living in their own fantasy world full of boredom and stuff.

but you should also take into consideration that she's your family, old, she probably doesn't have a social life and every visit/discussion means a lot to her.

so as much as I hate altruism, this is one of those rare cases where I think it's good to be altruistic.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• its not wrong, why else would you talk to your friends? If they were boring and didn't give you anything you would never talk to them but they are not, you are getting fun out of it. Why would I be talking to girls? Lets just say if I was gay id never talk to girls again, same reason I rarely talk to guys nowadays.

1|0
    0|0
    • everybody has a personal agenda, some are too good at hiding and some even lie tothemselves about not having one, but everything in this world is done cause someone has interest in something

• I think everyone has done it at some point in their life. The fact you are having second thoughts about it is a good indicator that you probably shouldn't do it. Maybe make an effort to build on that relationship so there's more to it than just getting money from her.

A good starting point for that is have her teach you something like recipes she does or whatever hobby she might be into that you are interested in.

I needlepoint and garden with mine lol, go fishing and camping with the other. They enjoy that I'm taking an interest in what they are passionate about and its good bonding.

1|0
    0|0
  • I do this with my dad. I am also a bitch. But I do it because he lacks fatherhood qualities and we are not really close at all. Also he really annoyed my mum when they were married. Because of this I don't feel particularly guilty but I know this shouldn't justify it, and I should stop doing it. Ask yourself though: are you close with your grandmother? Is she nice to you? Does she ask like a grandmother should? If the answer to all of these questions is yes, then I reckon you need to think about her and stop doing it. It's almost like the relationship you have with your grandmother, which she presumably cherishes, is fake. Just have that in mind.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yep that's f***ed up... She's your family, she's your grandmother!.!.! I love my grandmother, she a strong, smart, caring, thoughtful, old lady. She's really a great person. I like talking to her just because. She's a millionaire, but I don't care if I get a dime from her. I'd rather talk to her about growing tomatoes or something, before considering my spot in the will. Why are you gold digging on your granny? That's a cluster f*** of a situation. =|

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes