What would you do if your significant other has a huge amount of debt?

would you not feel stressed out or even liable to help pay them off? I wanted to help pay but boyfriend is saying no it's his responsibility.

but once we are living together I FEEL that it will affect me.

debt is about 50 000 $ for student loans.

thoughts.

thanks.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• He's in the same boat as millions of other students who were brainwashed into taking out a loan to join a Worthless Paper Manufacturing Facility, aka, COLLEGE!

Hey it doesn't matter if you're 18 and not sure what you want in life. Just go to college like everyone else, take out a loan then live the dream! Liberal Arts? Easy squeezy lemon peezy! You like culinary arts, how about getting a business administration degree? Oh it doesn't matter. The Federal government makes it so easy to come by... you almost expect them to come and pull you outta that hole you decided to jump in!

We're a nation enslaved by debt and when I see cases like your boyfriend I shake my head. Let him handle it as best he can. It's not your debt, it's his. And yes, relative to most students that's a small amount of debt so it's quite manageable.

It won't affect you unless he is an irresponsible spender in general. Based on what you typed, he's not in debt for that reason so don't worry about it. The frivolous spenders will always hurt a relationship. They can have a million dollars and find their way to red paint in less than a year. As long as he's not like that, you're fine.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• if I'd be in a serious relationship I'd pay off that debt, but I got money.

you on the other hand are probably making even less than him. or not? this will probably effect you either way if you help him or not.

how long are you two together? is 50k a lot for you?

1|0
    0|0
    • for me right now it is .int erms of my income, he has been applying to better jobs and his dad's been encouraging him to get a union job. I'm concerned because I have no debts and he doesn't expect me to pay but its hard not to help him out

• if he can make monthly payments and he doesn't want your help, don't insist. our ego doesn't allow women to pay for our stuff especially not for stuff like this.

and as I said it will effect you either way - you two will have less money to spend/save.

• He wants to pay it down, so let him. He want's to take responsibility for his own debts, that's seems fair to me. Does he have a career where he can afford to pay it down over time? If so, leave it alone and let him handle his business.

1|0
    0|0
  • $50,000 is very minor for student loans in the large scale of things. It can be paid off monthly over a period of years. Just make sure that he doesn't continue to add to his debt because then he will run into a position where he is in over his head. No one likes to be in huge debt.

What do we do when the Obama Administration puts the United States into huge amounts of debt? Do we re-elect him so that we can hit $20 trillion or so? NO! I mean the man claimed he'd cut the deficit in half and yet has doubled it spending a trillion a year. By the way, this has created no jobs (only government and campaign jobs) and there are still 23 million out of work.

How do you resolve this problem? Stop spending money. So in the political sense, it's elect Mitt Romney who will fix the government, the economy and create jobs. In your boyfriends position, pay off as much of the principle as he can and continue payments, and don't miss any or it will hurt your credit.

1|0
    0|0
    • i guess 50 000 is a lot if my guy is making only 22 000/ year and I am around the same income mark. but if we were really cheap about how we lived I suppose we could pay it off in 2 years

• I'd try to help them as much as I could to get out of debt. But I would not put my money into it. It's his deal after all.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes