What would you do if your significant other has a huge amount of debt?

would you not feel stressed out or even liable to help pay them off? I wanted to help pay but boyfriend is saying no it's his responsibility.

but once we are living together I FEEL that it will affect me.

debt is about 50 000 $ for student loans.

thoughts.

thanks.

14

Most Helpful Guy

• He's in the same boat as millions of other students who were brainwashed into taking out a loan to join a Worthless Paper Manufacturing Facility, aka, COLLEGE!

Hey it doesn't matter if you're 18 and not sure what you want in life. Just go to college like everyone else, take out a loan then live the dream! Liberal Arts? Easy squeezy lemon peezy! You like culinary arts, how about getting a business administration degree? Oh it doesn't matter. The Federal government makes it so easy to come by... you almost expect them to come and pull you outta that hole you decided to jump in!

We're a nation enslaved by debt and when I see cases like your boyfriend I shake my head. Let him handle it as best he can. It's not your debt, it's his. And yes, relative to most students that's a small amount of debt so it's quite manageable.

It won't affect you unless he is an irresponsible spender in general. Based on what you typed, he's not in debt for that reason so don't worry about it. The frivolous spenders will always hurt a relationship. They can have a million dollars and find their way to red paint in less than a year. As long as he's not like that, you're fine.