Why would a man date an overweight woman?

I used to be overweight and all my life I have been put down for it by my family, especially mother and father and told that I will never attract a decent boyfriend because of my looks. I was a size 14 about 190 then. Now I've lost weight but I get so confused when I see women who are still fat who have men who like them and treat them well. I could never get a guy who wanted to be seen in public with me, why are those girls fatter than I was and having guys be with them? I don't get it. Does that mean someone could have liked me even when I was fat? Is it because the guys can't get better looking women? Please explain.

16

Most Helpful Guy

• Believe it or not, personality and attitude IS important to many guys, more important than looks. Are their shallow guys who would never be with a fat girl? Absolutely. But plenty of guys want to date someone who cares for them and is good to them and compatible with them, and who has a pleasant personality and positive attitude, and their body type is far less important.

For the sake of honestly and completeness, I should also mention that *some* men may date or get with overweight women because those women have low self-esteem, or may be desperate for attention and validation, so it's easy for the guy to get sex, money, or to have her take care of him and the house and put up with his crap, because she'd rather do any of that then be alone. I'm not saying this is a large percentage of people, but it does exist, just as relationships where the man is used and abused, willingly, due to his low self esteem.

Another thing to keep in mind is that just because you've lost weight doesn't magically solve all of your problems. Guys STILL want a girl who is pleasant, positive, and fun, and while your new body may get more initial attention, it's your personality that will either keep them around or drive them away.