Do you believe sociopaths are born that way?

I read an article that stated the above. Do you think sociopaths lack moral fiber from the time they are born? Educated responses only.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Psychopaths are predisposed genetically and sociopaths are thought to be a product of their environmental factors. At least that is the thinking. Both are anti-social personality disorders. A sociopath may not have been "created" had they been raised or exposed to the environment they were in during the formative years. As a result, if you have people of both disorders, they may do the same thing, the psychopath may have done it out of impulsively, still not considering others feelings. While the sociopath does it with no conscience and it may be planned. This is just the "tip of the iceberg" into these 2 disorders, obviously.

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I suspect its more accurate to say that they do not develop the levels of empathy, guilt and personal responsibility most of us do. Whether that's do to genetic factors, biological factors during development, social experiences or a certain alignment of the three - who knows.

I would suggest its likely there is more then one possible cause.

2|2
    1|0
  • i don't think genetics plays any role, its all about how a child is raised. mainly kids that have been abused or neglected etc etc. spoiling kids doesn't help either, kids have to learn at some point they can't always get what they want. good parenting is hard to come by these days. crime is only going to get worse when these kids have little guidance and direction and role models in their lives.

2|0
    1|1
    • pretty much this answer, you can't be born that way

• Personalities are molecules in space. Personalities are all numbers.

The Human Race will create the numbers needed to fir the puzzle, being able to achieve the new race for planet Earth

Dinosaurs > Humans > New Race

Some are born and some make bad decisions and fall into the devils traps.

We all have choice, live a good life.

0|0
    0|0
  • According to forensic psychologists, sociopaths are made, not born; psychopaths are born, not made.

"Made" in this case means that they weren't born that way, they *became* that way.

1|0
    0|0
  • Being that sociopaths know how to blend into society and are still crazy, I think that it comes from childhood trauma

for those who don't know, the word sociopath refers to people who act and seem to be normal, but are seriously demented. Such as Necropheliacs, Murderers, Justin Bieber, so on

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh, the old Nature versus Nurture argument.

I think genetics plant the seed for a person to be a specific way, and then his or her environment is the deciding factor of whether or not that seed will grow.

Let's say a child is born with an "addictive" gene she inherited from her alcoholic father. Is that child definitely going to grow up to be an alcoholic? No. If she's brought up and her environment allows/enforces the habits of excessive alcohol drinking, the chances go up exponentially.

Now, for your sociopath. Maybe the child is born with a genetic makeup of someone who is violent and could lack apathy. If the child is loved unconditionally and taught how to love and care for living things, he or she will probably grow up to be normal. If the child is not cared for, pushed to the side to learn on his or her own, then I believe the sociopathological tendencies could flourish.

1|0
    0|0
  • Genetics might play a role, but I'm guessing that environmental and social factors are more important contributors.

0|2
    1|0
  • Considering that it is neurological in nature, it would make perfect sense that they are, just as children with autism.

0|0
    1|0
  • Sociopaths are born...

But their upbringing will play a part in how and if they act out.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I do believe they are born that way but I also believe ones environment can also affect them to a certain degree.

0|0
    1|1
  • I object to your terminology, but some of us are born like that. Others of us (like myself) are forged by the paths our lives take.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nature vs Nurture.

Not gonna crack this open again.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, their genes are distorted and it causes their brain to malfunction and this distortion manifests as complete lack of empathy and conscience.

In normal language it means they got no soul, they are like vegetables, like robots they are selfish, evil and manipulative, they are parasites.

The worst of it all is that it passes to the next generations so unless all of that scum will be exterminated their presence in society will remain.

Environmental factors got no influence, it's all about genetics - many people who got tough childhood grow up as normal and good people while at the same time many of those sickos got no hardships to face at all.

0|1
    1|0
  • Your Lack morals :p

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't believe your are born with it. I think it has to do with your upbringing. I have a sister who is suicidal who had to be in the hospital for a while, and she was a normal girl, but in the hospital I could see her becoming mentally ill..if she would not have gone then I don't think she would have developed it. Granted that is not a sociopath, but I think it's safe to say sociopaths are mentally ill.

0|0
    0|0
    • You do not "become" mentally ill from being in the hospital. If she is suicidal, then it seems that she is depressed, which is a mental illness. She may have other M.H. issues also. She was probably in the hospital to keep her safe and to provide treatment for her to assist in stablizing her and getting her onto better mental health. Sometimes, often, when beginning treatment, a person may appear to look worse before getting better. Esp. when medication is being started. I wish her the best.

• That may be true, but you will see a change after someone goes through it. You will see their mind slowly going because these doctors have brain washed them. You would have to experience it to fully understand.

Recommended myTakes