How common are seziures in children?

Wednesday night, my 2 year old had a seizure that lasted close to 20 min. She was taking to the hospital by ambulance, where we stayed for the night and majority of Thursday. So far we have no understanding why it happened. We do go to the children's hospital for an EEG to exam her brain. I had epilepsy as a young child and out grew it. So my question is how many of you ever personal experienced a seizure or know someone who has?
Updates:
Just to clarify, I am curious on how many people here on gag have had a seizure or know anyone who has had one.

We got my daughters EEG results and it came back abnormal and it was determined where in the brain the seizure happened. She will be scheduled for a MRI to determind more. The problem now is waiting. We have to wait a few months to get in because we have a shortage of machines available here in Canada.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• just 2-3 weeks ago my dad had a seizure. It was a total shock because he's never shown any side effects. I love my dad more than anything, he's been there for me since before I can remember. I remember getting the phone call and hearing the news when he went into a seizure, I couldn't help but cry right in the middle of hustling to my class on campus. I had a mental breakdown. I rushed home and packed my bags, all of my school supplies, and rushed to the hospital to see him. Seeing him in his bed and all the tubes in him while he was asleep almost made me want to cry seeing him. I HATE seeing people I love in that state. But my family was there, I wanted to show them that I'm strong so I didn't ever cry in front of them.

Anyway, I can understand the pain your going through. If you ever need someone to vent to, don't hesitate to contact me.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Seizures in children are not uncommon if the child has high fever. If it has no fever it might be epilepsy : link

1|0
    0|0
    • Show All
    • @ justme20,

I happen to know that subject much closer than from Googling.

• @ justme20,

I happen to know that subject much closer than from Googling. Of course, Question Asker will visit a doctor about it: people aren't as dumb as you imply. No responsible parent would not see a doctor after such a scare.

• yeah my brothers ex has seizures if she doesn't take her meds. she's had more than a few. I think she may have even had some brain damage, because she just doesn't really seem right in the head.

1|0
    0|0
  • Idiopathic seizures are the most common in children. Yes, it is a form of epilepsy, so while the other person was Googling, they were kind of on the right track at least (in terms of what is the most common seizure). Common causes can be problems in brain development or birth trauma (lack of O2), infection (meningitis, encephalitis), low blood glucose, tumors, strokes, traumatic brain injury, neurodegenerative disease, and inherited.

Given you had epilepsy as a child, then it looks like inherited is probably the most likely cause. About 70% of seizures are treatable with meds. I'll give you the 3 classes of meds for seizure treatment. They won't mean much to you right now because you don't know what they are exactly, but at least you can familiarize yourself with them in case you have to deal with meds with your child.

1. Inactivate voltage gated Na+ channels - stop repetitive firing

2. Enhance GABA

3. Limit T-type Ca2+ channel (absence only)

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not sure how common they are, but I do know that when I had my stroke, I had seizures for a few months afterward. I also know two of my cousins who had them, one also had a stroke beforehand. They might be fairly common and children usually grow out of them.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I take my meds I have no seizures. (I only had a few, after a trauma)

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes