Learning to drive - advice please

I'm learning to drive again after a year after having my first set of lessons - university commitments got in the way. I'm starting a fresh effectively.

My question is, is it natural to find it difficult to pick up?

I'm having lessons and out with the mother as well. I must state I am thankful she is doing this for me.

I drove in an industrial estate yesterday - grand. Hill-starts, gear changes etc, all fine.

But today I drove around my housing estate - not bad by definitely not my strongest.

Is it natural to find driving difficult with the experienced driver, wincing and jumping in the passenger seat,making me more nervous than I already am?

How did you learn to drive and build you confidence?

Thanks
Updates:
Thanks for your answers guys & gals, nice to know I'm not alone as it can be frustrating learning to drive.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I learned with an instructor after 5 lessons I drove with my mother in the car and after that experience I did not drive for 6 months she totally freaked me out... she was like ah real loud when I turned corners etc as if I was going to crash into a wall (which I was not). After the 6 months I got another 5 lessons & I was grand I had my own car so would go on spins with friends didn't allow my mother in the car with me again til months later, 10 years later its like second nature don't even think about it it's like walking now, for me personally my mother wasn't a suitable instructor she's naturally panicky and her fear made me doubt myself. If your mother is making you uncomfortable find someone else to practise with but explain to her in a nice way why your doing it she will probably prefer that aswell she prob feels bad for being a bad passenger seat drive! Good luck with the lessons

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• It's scary at first but it's something that because muslce memory and second nature. It is literally like riding a bike. I advize you start off driving slower than the posted speed limit and obeying all driving rules, 2 hands on the steering wheel, turn signals etc etc. Once you feel comfortable then you can do whatever you'd like. That's how I learned. Also practice in a small car. It's easier to handle.

0|0
    0|0
  • the more nervous you are the worse you'll drive! just relax and focus on the front of you and people coming in from the sides, don't worry about your passenger or whos behind you etc. keep practicing! the more you do it the better!

0|0
    0|0
  • I never had driving lessons and for me it came naturally but with some practice, it's like moving my own body, I don't generally think much, I get a sense of when I park and how to angle in more easily with time.

I would just practice as much as I can if I were you and to make sure you go over your driving manual if you guys got one.

0|0
    0|0
  • I had some driving lessons and now I'm practicing every week with my dad and I have days it goes great, but other days I have some flaws and it's not so good. I didn't drive for 4 months almost and after that it went like it did before, not bad but not supergood. You don't "unlearn" how to drive so it gets an automatic thing in your brain how to drive.

I got 10h lessons and that was it, the rest of it my dad is teaching me. You build confidence by driving, a lot. After a while you get to know the road so you need to go different places. When I go someplace new, my dad drives first and shows me where I need to pay attention, then I drive there and see how it goes.

Don't panic when you have a bad day, it happens to the best of us!

0|0
    0|0
  • You can't really unlearn a muscle memory. Once you start doing it again your coronation remembers everything and it's smooth sailing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yo I just ask my amigo Miguel for a ride he drives a pick up truck.

He say driving is easy he no problemo just turn and stuff man.

0|0
    2|0
  • A few things about driving:

Most people on the road can't really "drive." They operate the car like a machine, instead of knowing the inner workings of the car and feeling what is going on.

Practice, practice, and practice some more. Go to advanced driving school and soak up everything they tell you.

On the road, always be aware of what is going on around you. Instead of looking directly in front of you, keep your eyes ahead. Always anticipate the actions of other drivers. Check for pedestrians too. They have tunnel vision and don't look for cars.

Learn to steer correctly. Practice shuffle steering and always keep both hands on the steering wheel. Change gears quickly and immediately return your hand to the wheel.

I went to advanced driving school which was pretty much EVOC style driving. A professional course is worth every cent. Spend a few hundred dollars now and you could save your life in a few years.

Most importantly: Stay calm. Breath. It will all be ok.

0|0
    0|0
  • I learned with my parents and got confidence by just going out and driving. I'm not sure what's "natural" or not, but it sounds like your nerves are definitely getting in the way. Driving itself is really not that hard- the car will do most of the work for you. Unfortunately, this causes people to skip out on learning to actually drive WELL and be attentive of what's going on around them. But that's a different rant all together.

Perhaps you need someone else in the car with you, someone that doesn't make you so nervous. And try sticking to open, empty areas until you get the grasp of what you're doing. Other than that, there's not much advice to be given because there's just not that much to driving.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes