Learning to drive - advice please

I'm learning to drive again after a year after having my first set of lessons - university commitments got in the way. I'm starting a fresh effectively.

My question is, is it natural to find it difficult to pick up?

I'm having lessons and out with the mother as well. I must state I am thankful she is doing this for me.

I drove in an industrial estate yesterday - grand. Hill-starts, gear changes etc, all fine.

But today I drove around my housing estate - not bad by definitely not my strongest.

Is it natural to find driving difficult with the experienced driver, wincing and jumping in the passenger seat,making me more nervous than I already am?

How did you learn to drive and build you confidence?

Thanks
Thanks for your answers guys & gals, nice to know I'm not alone as it can be frustrating learning to drive.

45

Most Helpful Girl

• I learned with an instructor after 5 lessons I drove with my mother in the car and after that experience I did not drive for 6 months she totally freaked me out... she was like ah real loud when I turned corners etc as if I was going to crash into a wall (which I was not). After the 6 months I got another 5 lessons & I was grand I had my own car so would go on spins with friends didn't allow my mother in the car with me again til months later, 10 years later its like second nature don't even think about it it's like walking now, for me personally my mother wasn't a suitable instructor she's naturally panicky and her fear made me doubt myself. If your mother is making you uncomfortable find someone else to practise with but explain to her in a nice way why your doing it she will probably prefer that aswell she prob feels bad for being a bad passenger seat drive! Good luck with the lessons