I have nocturnal panic attacks and the only thing that relaxes me is talking. Why would this be?

Talking about it in the day doesn't relax me though.

The National Health Service in the UK has a help line where you can be put through to a nurse. I find just talking to them helps. Every night that I have it, I phone them, but I feel like I'm wasting their time. I got off the phone to them about 10 minutes a go. My anxiety disappeared but now it's come back again.

I will go to my GP tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

thank you in advance.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I didn't really have nocturnal panic attacks but I used to get them in the daytime a lot. Talking helps because you feel less alone, and are being distracted, but then you're just relying on that as a crutch. You need to learn to not let them bother you, and not rely on distraction, that's the way to get over them for good.

Check out these links:

link

and

link

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• You're not wasting their time. It's what they're there for, and I'm sure you're one of the more pleasant things they could be dealing with. I have never had an actual panic attack, but I do sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with severe anxiety, and talking helps me as well so I know how you feel. Calling them is a smart plan and you shouldn't feel bad for doing it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've never had this particular issue, but I have had panic attacks in the past.

Is it only every once in a while, or is it pretty frequent. Do you know what's triggering them? You should try working with a therapist, or talking with your GP about anti-anxiety drugs. Finding out the trigger is can help you ease them.

And you aren't wasting a helpline's time. That's what they are there for.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thank you very much. What happened when you had panic attacks and what stopped them?

Well, It's usually once a year, but continues for weeks at a time. The first time I ever had one was when I was younger and (stupidly) tried marijuana. Ever since, I just randomly have panic attacks when I'm sleeping. I have never had it before trying the marijuana.

And thank you, I will contact my GP tomorrow. It ruins your day!

• Show All
    • That was why I stopped ignoring them and just letting them pass. The anxiety would eventually build up, and eventually they would come back again.

• Sorry, I mis read what you wrote. Thank you for your reply!

The only opinion from guys was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes