FEMALES!!!: is "chick" a sexist word?

i sometimes use this word as a synonym for girl. however some girls are offended by it. what do you think?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• It's not sexist.

It's just has the potential to be offensive if used with someone you're not very familiar with.

Or if used in a professional setting.

Like I came up and called you "bro".

You know damned well I'm not your bro.

But whether or not you get offended is your call.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, some people just don't like it, haha. I relate it to calling a guy 'dude'. Some girls don't like 'chick', some women don't like being called 'lady' or 'ma'am'. It's individual.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not sexist but, at least for me, chick will be used in a negative lite or have a bad undertone to it. So maybe that's why these sensitive chicks* get upset.

*see what I did there

0|1
    0|0
  • Okay, it depends on two things.

-Context

-Tone of voice

If your say, "I really like this chick, she's cool." That's okay.

When you say, "You're just a chick, cmon!" Yeah, not okay.

Its all about what your talking about and how you say it. If you're meaning well, she looks insulted, explain yourself asap.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol really? I'm not offended in the least, I sometimes wonder why people get so offended at the smallest things. Obvioulsy they just need to rent a fridge big enough to fit themselves in and chill the f*ck out :)

0|0
    0|0
  • its not a turn on for sure

but I think becasue the guys who did use it when it was popular wer jerks. I don't know for sure but from what I have seen they are typically jerks so women dnt like it.

i dnt like being called mama

sexist? eh

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it can be considered sexist especially if coming from a man...and yes there are double standards but I got fired from a job for referring to a woman as a chick!

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it's sexist. Some girls are just really sensitive. It's no more sexist than calling a guy a dude.

0|0
    0|0
  • The word itself isn't at all.

Depends on the sentence you put it in and also the tone. Just like any title name, really. .

0|0
    0|0
  • If chick is considered sexist the what would the word bitch be?

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the context, but usually I don't like hearing it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not necessarily sexist. Depends on how it's said and the context. Usually I don't mind it.

0|0
    0|0
  • for me its like saying dude and no its not sexist word

0|0
    0|0
  • haha no

0|0
    0|0
  • No why?

0|0
    0|0
  • yea that's why I use bitch instead

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Is dude sexist?

0|0
    0|0
  • To me it is

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't worry kid choose best answer

0|0
    0|0
  • Man people get offended by EVERYTHING these days! Jesus Christ Mary Allah Krishna!

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it's not.

I say "chick" when describing myself.

Any woman offended by that needs to get over themselves, haha!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes