Extreme Cheapskates - are you cheap?

So there is a new show on TLC called extreme cheapskates. Its a bizarre show but kind of interesting. don't know if anyone of you saw it.

Anyway they shower with their clothes on so they can do laundry and the same time, one paid a 92 dollar restaurant bill will pennies he has saved up, crazy stuff like that. And I noticed one thing, one guy didn't want to buy a couch but he had a new tv, he didn't want ot buy desks but still had new computers and another guy lives rent free but his 2 roommates doesn't know about that so they pay his rent and think they are all splitting the rent. But even though this guy is a cheapskate he somehow didn't feel its was a waste of money fixing his car and turn it into a low rider for 3500 bucks.

This is so weird to me but it got me wonder maybe there is different types of cheap, which type are you?
  • No I'm not cheap at all
    Vote A
  • I'm cheap when it comes to others but spend a lot of money on myself
    Vote B
  • Yes I am cheap
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I'll admit it- compared to a lot of my peers, I'm cheap. For me, it's not about spending as little money as possible, refusing to spend any money on others, or going to crazy extremes for a deal. Instead, for me it's more about spending wisely and not spending money on things I don't need. For isntance- most of the people in my program buy lunch EVERY day just because there's a ton of places on campus to eat and they never quite get organized enough to pack a lunch. I think I've bought lunch once in the two months we've been in the program- and we have class 5 days a week. Personally, I don't see this as being cheap in a bad way- it just means I'm bringing food from home and saving money instead of wasting it on the same things I can make at home, only better.

Also- when it comes to needing something new (like the new laptop I just had to buy when mine died without warning), I'll spend the money for quality. I don't care about brands or the latest "thing", all I really want is something that fits my needs, is quality, and isn't more expensive than it's worth.

I think where the difference comes is that I don't tend to buy new things just for the heck of it, I don't see the need to buy something just because it's the latest model if the one I have still works fine and meets my needs. Like cell phones- I have had exactly 2 phones over the last 7 years and have no plans to buy a new phone until the one I have quits working (I've had it for about 3-4 years). I hear all the time about how great Iphones, Blackberries, and Samsungs are, but I know when I do buy a phone, it's NOT going to be a $400 one. That's ridiculous- it's a damn phone, not a kitchen appliance! And it's only going to work for maybe 2 years then die or be rendered unusable because the technology has outstripped it (on purpose of course). I'll buy a phone like I have now- it has talk, text, and data on it if I want it (which I don't, I rarely use it). I'm like that when it comes to a lot of things- particularly purchases for myself.

But, it's not like I ever refuse to spend money on other people- birthdays and holidays, I always do something for my friends and family, and if it's something I know they'll love I have no problem spending a little extra. The way I see it, you have to weigh the actual value of the item against the cost and decide if it's worth it...That's kind of what makes me cheap I guess lol.

3|3
    0|0
    • i agree with you, and I don't think you are cheap you are smart

• That's exactly how I am :D thanks for writing it for me, I could never be bothered to write all that (I'm cheap with time and effort too! xD)

• Ur not really cheap you just know how to use money , like me , I don't care about brands or what ever if it looks nice ill get it

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I'm not but my friend Tony is one cheap mother.

We went to a hamburger place. (his treat?) One of the many places where you can refill your soda for free. He ordered 1st, I wanted fries with my burger & he said no you can have some of mine. So to get even with him I ordered the biggest soda they had.

Again refills are free so it makes sense to order a small & refill it. I couldn't believe he said that, so to make him cut loose with a few bucks I ordered the biggest soda.

1|0
    0|0
    • He sounds really cheap on every account, but the refill part defeating the purpose of extra large drinks makes complete sense. If it falls inadequate, get a refill. I don't see the point either, It's not about the extra money in that specific case I think, it's about common sense. Because in my locality, the refill-type restaurants are already above like $70 per head so you're not saving much.

• I am not cheap at all.I have given money to people that needed it at the store.I have added some friends food to mine while at work so they could eat.at lunch.I have given every dime I have to help my parents and younger siblings.I think people that only spend money on themselves are selfish cheapskates.

1|0
    0|0
  • I voted B. It's not because I wouldn't LIKE to spend more money on others, though. My financial situation is such that I just can't right now. Obviously I do spend money on myself- I'm somewhat frugal, but it IS where most of my money goes, because that's what I earn it for. I would never trick my roommates about the rent or anything like that though! That's not being cheap, that's stealing.

1|0
    0|0
  • Booo at no option that fits me.

I'm very cheap when it comes to myself. I occasionally might get something for me, but usually I don't. But I don't mind spending money for a friend for a movie ticket here and there or a meal or something. I don't have a TON of money, but I don't think money itself is the #1 thing in the world like others seem to.

0|1
    0|0
    • oh that's nice, I don't reallt call that cheap, you are economical wihe it comes to yourself and generous with your friends :)

• Hah, I call it cheap :P

• Me too man! It really is 'being cheap' because I like the money, yet when other people are involved I start giving it away.

• I voted 'A' cause I am that way :)

However, what you describe above the guy who buys a new TV but not a couch & buys new computers but not a desk are nuts (pardon the expression) and not cheapskates. They are 'penny wise pound foolish'. The guy who cheats his friends on the rent but does up his car is neither a nut nor a cheapskate but a plain selfish cheat who'll stop at nothing to do what he wants.

0|0
    0|0
  • Voted

D: I'm cheap when it comes to myself but spend a lot of money on those I love.

OOPS!

that option was missing.

1|0
    0|0
    • yea I know many people wanted that option but it wasn't really what the show was about

• YES I SAW THOSE EPISODES TOO. They were so disgusting. I am "cheap," but I see most of those things as ESSENTIALS. I'm more frugal than cheap. I will buy the essentials and I have no problem splurging once in a while.

1|0
    0|0
  • My mom could almost be on that show. She's not as extreme as some of those guys are though. She's just cheap on everything, but she does put her money in the stock market.

I'm probably a bit on the spendthrift side lol.

0|0
    0|0
    • seems like there isn't anyones that's cheap in everything, all seem to have a guilty pleasure, atleadt the ones that answered here :)

• You should be so glad you have a mom as smart. As long as you're not causing yourself harm or to another, saving up is fine.

• I don't really think I'm cheap per say. I do like a good sale though and will make use of coupons if I have the opportunity to but that's about it I guess.

0|0
    0|0
    • i wouldn't call that cheap either, we all like sales there is something with finding something you like that's marked down

• I'm extremely responsible with my money, but IMHO these people aren't doing themselves any favors. The time they dedicate to saving money could be spent doing things that are more financially rewarding.

And this isn't directed at the QA, but letting roommates pay the entire rent while they think they are just paying a 2/3 portion isn't called cheap--it's called lying and theft.

0|0
    0|0
    • agreed and being an awful friend for taking their money and it good that you are responsiable with your money :)

• I'm a bargain shopper, but that's as far as that goes. I spend way too much money on clothes, makeup, etc. and when its Christmas shopping time I go nuts and spend way more money than neccessary on family and friends. So nah I'm not really cheap at all lol. except with food and groceries, I almost always buy the generic brand vs. the name brand. that's really about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • yeah I've left some pretty cheap tips over the years , definity some servers who though I was cheap . but I haven't always had good luck with employment so there was times I wasn't working and maybe that was why

0|0
    0|0
  • I like bargain shopping and resale shops for myself, but I know when it's appropriate to just spend the money. Ex: others birthdays, Xmas, certain household needs for myself, etc

0|1
    0|0
  • II'm not cheap at all I like having a good time and want people around me to the same. I don't mind spending money on friends or women I'm interested in but I hate when people take advantage of that or never think that they should do the same. It builds up resentment.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not cheap, but I have been because I never had any money. Now I have a job so I'll be spending money all the time now lol. I also owe my mates hundreds of dollars worth of drinks too so I'll be paying them back next time we go out haha

0|0
    0|0
  • cheap people are miserable people. bury them in their money.

0|0
    0|1
    • the owner of IKEA is the cheapest in the world. I saw on TV her was in poland and he only bought coffe before noon cause it was cheaper adn he was going to pay and she made an error in the register and overcharged him a couple cents for his coffee and he told her about it and said you have too change this cause I'm not going to pay more for the coffee o.O

• Show All
    • haha, does she do the same with the coffee filter?

• ugggh probably :-)

• I'm frugal, but not cheap.

I work hard for my money, and I don't like to waste it needlessly. I don't buy tons of things I don't need, and I don't over-spend to impress anyone.

But, I do recognize quality, and I'll put off buying something and save money until I can afford the quality item that I want.

I'm also pretty generous with my friends, and certainly with my girlfriends, and I tip well when it's appropriate to do so. If I'm working away from home, I'm happy to stay in a Motel 6 or something similarly cheap; my needs aren't great. When I travel with my girl, though, I tend to go higher on the scale, because I want her to be comfortable. So it just depends on the situation.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a broke student who is soon to be getting a job, but yeah, don't have much choice but to be a bit cheap. I can splash out on events and clothing though. Apart from that food is mostly store brand.

0|0
    0|0
  • Where's the option for "I'm cheap when it comes to myself but go all out when it comes to others"?

0|0
    0|0
    • well, I watched this show extreme cheapskates and they were either cheap with themselves and everyone else or cheap with others and spent money on themselves, so I didn't think of that option

• Oh. No problem. It's just that I identify most with that option. I won't spend more than $20 on myself, but the sky's the limit when it comes to buying something for my boyfriend.

• then you should vote I'm not cheap :)

• i am cheap in the since I don't want to drop 50 dollars on a shirt or if something is expensive and I don't think it should be I won't buy it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I used to hate the cheapskates at my bar! The people who would not tip and try to pay with all change!

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm 18 and I can't find a job. Of course I'm cheap, I have no other option.

I don't do insane things like that, but I don't shop at expensive stores or anything like that. I don't have a problem with going into Walmart or the dollar store or even the thrift store when I need something whose quality doesn't matter much for whatever reason.

But I usually shop at the mall and stuff like that, just not always. I'm not going to spend $50-$100 making a costume that I'm only going to wear once when I could have spent $10 by going to Goodwill.

0|0
    0|0
  • Finding angles to make a buck is smart. What the guy is doing with the rent is a good financial decision, if you can manage to deal with others. The penny thing is stupid, you can just roll them and deposit them at the bank, they are legal tender. The showering/laundry thing is just ridiculous. I'd say I don't blow my money on a bunch of meaningless stuff, but I don't mind spending money. I'm wise with my money, I find deals where they can be found, and buy quality things that tend to last and work better all around. I always tend to have money, while money leaks through the pockets of some people I know like water. Why pay full price when you don't need to? Why buy low quality things every few years, when you can invest in something good that will last a long time? Use your brain.

0|0
    0|0
    • true, but that is being economical and being smart, but some take it to the extreme and I thought it was so funny that one of the guys didn't want to buy what his family needed he couldn't even fix the doorbell so when people came over the had to rub the little cables together so the bell rang but they had new computers and laptops and a flat screen tv, so he wasn't cheap on that. And the second dude cheated his pals out of money but yet he had no problems spending 3500 bucks on his car

• Show All
    • Well dry pasta can stay good for a couple of years. So if I can get a good deal, when I would normally buy 2 boxes of pasta for $4, I'll instead buy 10 boxes of pasta for $4 and then just not have to buy pasta for a while. =P

• Im really cheap due to insuffient funds.

I hand wash some of my clothes with bar soap.

I pick napkins and random sh*t from resturants and use them in my house for paper towels.

I never have garbage bags..i always take my one dollar store bags and use them as trash bags.

I reuse water bottles.

I reuse containers.

There was a time I stopped using toilet paper when I stocked up on napkins...

I love free samples

I never throwaway food.

I go to food drives.

I stich ripped clothing.

I clip coupons

I think thrift stores are expensive.

Etc etc etc.

Just ask anyone...i am really cheap.

0|0
    0|0
    • i get the whole being cheap cause you are on a tight budget. But let me ask you this are you like anyone of the guys from the show that are cheap with most stuff but spend a lot of money on something else?

• Show All
    • haha electronics are fun to have. I personally hate when you buy something and a week later they have a good deal on the same thing argh

• i wouldn't say this is cheap, just resourceful :) smart thinking.

• I spend all the money I have, but by any standard I really a cheepOOO

0|0
    0|0
  • I am opposite to B

1|0
    0|0
  • nope, not at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some people may call me cheap though I'd consider myself frugal rather than cheap. I only spend money on things I absolutely need.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've seen part of that show, they could re-name it people with illnesses. The woman who pees in a bottle so she doesn't have to flush, another who doesn't use toilet paper. GROSS!

Some of those things you mentioned are more than just cheap, they are rude & deceitful. The rent thing is stealing from his roommates if he's told them he's paying too. Spending wads of $$$ on yourself when ripping people off is just selfish.

I think I am thrifty in that I do not waste money on stupid things that I don't need. I am generous with my family & friends. My splurges on myself are saving for later. Cheap? No, I'm not wasteful. I pack my lunch, take water & make my own coffee instead of buying $4 coffee or $2 water; I never buy the "next new thing" I still have my 6 year old cell phone, only need one tv. And when something breaks, I fix it instead of throwing it out & buying new. Saves money & the enviroment.

1|0
    0|0
    • i couldn't agree more, its beyond being cheap. And I really don't think you are cheap when you try to manage you money and are "cheap" with yourself. These people were cheap with their family and friends, I mean who the heck invites someone for dinner and serve them dumpster food? and the guy that were so cheap with his family and had a secret bankaccount with over 120.000 bucks on it and told the family they didn't have a lot of money at all so they wouldn't cause a riot basically, that's cheap

• d. I'm cheap when it comes to myself, but not so much when it comes to others

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd add in another option: I'm cheap when it comes to myself, but spend a lot of money on others.

I think that's kinda like me. I don't buy myself a ton of stuff, but when I go out on dates, I love paying for the other person :)

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a saver but I also spend.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes