Extreme Cheapskates - are you cheap?

So there is a new show on TLC called extreme cheapskates. Its a bizarre show but kind of interesting. don't know if anyone of you saw it.

Anyway they shower with their clothes on so they can do laundry and the same time, one paid a 92 dollar restaurant bill will pennies he has saved up, crazy stuff like that. And I noticed one thing, one guy didn't want to buy a couch but he had a new tv, he didn't want ot buy desks but still had new computers and another guy lives rent free but his 2 roommates doesn't know about that so they pay his rent and think they are all splitting the rent. But even though this guy is a cheapskate he somehow didn't feel its was a waste of money fixing his car and turn it into a low rider for 3500 bucks.

This is so weird to me but it got me wonder maybe there is different types of cheap, which type are you?
  • No I'm not cheap at all
  • I'm cheap when it comes to others but spend a lot of money on myself
  • Yes I am cheap
    Vote C

1716

Most Helpful Girl

• I'll admit it- compared to a lot of my peers, I'm cheap. For me, it's not about spending as little money as possible, refusing to spend any money on others, or going to crazy extremes for a deal. Instead, for me it's more about spending wisely and not spending money on things I don't need. For isntance- most of the people in my program buy lunch EVERY day just because there's a ton of places on campus to eat and they never quite get organized enough to pack a lunch. I think I've bought lunch once in the two months we've been in the program- and we have class 5 days a week. Personally, I don't see this as being cheap in a bad way- it just means I'm bringing food from home and saving money instead of wasting it on the same things I can make at home, only better.

Also- when it comes to needing something new (like the new laptop I just had to buy when mine died without warning), I'll spend the money for quality. I don't care about brands or the latest "thing", all I really want is something that fits my needs, is quality, and isn't more expensive than it's worth.

I think where the difference comes is that I don't tend to buy new things just for the heck of it, I don't see the need to buy something just because it's the latest model if the one I have still works fine and meets my needs. Like cell phones- I have had exactly 2 phones over the last 7 years and have no plans to buy a new phone until the one I have quits working (I've had it for about 3-4 years). I hear all the time about how great Iphones, Blackberries, and Samsungs are, but I know when I do buy a phone, it's NOT going to be a $400 one. That's ridiculous- it's a damn phone, not a kitchen appliance! And it's only going to work for maybe 2 years then die or be rendered unusable because the technology has outstripped it (on purpose of course). I'll buy a phone like I have now- it has talk, text, and data on it if I want it (which I don't, I rarely use it). I'm like that when it comes to a lot of things- particularly purchases for myself.

But, it's not like I ever refuse to spend money on other people- birthdays and holidays, I always do something for my friends and family, and if it's something I know they'll love I have no problem spending a little extra. The way I see it, you have to weigh the actual value of the item against the cost and decide if it's worth it...That's kind of what makes me cheap I guess lol.

• i agree with you, and I don't think you are cheap you are smart

• That's exactly how I am :D thanks for writing it for me, I could never be bothered to write all that (I'm cheap with time and effort too! xD)

• Ur not really cheap you just know how to use money , like me , I don't care about brands or what ever if it looks nice ill get it