Do you consider 100% fruit juice to be considered a legitimate alternative to eating fruit?

I was in the grocery store shopping, and I happened to think about this.

Anyone who grocery shops, can attest that getting 8 servings of fruit in a half gallon bottle of 100% juice for ~$3.50, imo is a great deal compared to fresh fruit.

Fruit juice (frozen concentrate, bottled) is so much more convenient and cost-effective way to help get in your servings of fruit vs. solely eating fresh fruit, since fresh fruit spoils, and fruit juice stays good for months.

With people cutting back on their expenses in this recessed economy, 100% fruit juice may become more attractive to people.

-----

My question is, do you feel that a 8oz serving of 100% juice, is comparable, health-wise, to eating a serving of fresh fruit?

Vote and reply as much as you like.

-----

P.S. Feel free to guess the Pokemon! :-P
  • You can substitute 100% fruit juice, for all fresh fruit to get your servings, with no health risks
    Vote A
  • 100% fruit juice is slightly less beneficial than fresh fruit; OK to have occasionally
    Vote B
  • 100% fruit juice is WAY less beneficial than fresh fruit, but is OK to have
    Vote C
  • All fruit juice, 100% or not, should be avoided; only eat fresh fruit
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• True 100% fruit juice, meaning they don't add sugar, additives, preservatives, is just as good as the fruit itself. It's just fruit that's been squeezed.

Of course, bottling pure fruit juice, pasturizing it, can be expensive, and if you don't keep it refrigerated after you open it, it can go back quick, To save money and cashi in, many companies try to mislead consumers by diluting the juice and adding sugar, or adding preservatives, so you need to really read labels to make sure you are getting what you want. Real, 100% fruit juice WILL be more expensive, so if you find something cheap, it's probably had some compromises.

0|2
    0|0
    • No fiber.

• Your not getting all the macro nutrients in juice then you will get from a fleshy fruit. In short, a fruit juice; even if 100% natural, is just one big sugar shot!

• And you're missing out on a lot of essential nutrients.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• The problem with fruit juice is that most of them sold at the store are doctored with a lot of sugar.

And in that case, it wouldn't be a lot different if you were to drink beer or coca cola instead of fruit juice.

Some brands have less sugar (only the amount from the fruit and no more). But you may not like the taste of them since they are more bitter to what most people are used to when they drink fruit juice.

Oh, and Togepi.

0|1
    0|0
    • You're spot-on about the average person not being used to the taste of 100% juice.

In fact, standard Ocean Spray cranberry juice is only ~27% juice, and most people don't know that!

• No, I don't think it has ALL the vitamins and general nutrients but it isn't really imperative that you consume very much fruit in general. I eat an apple every once in a while, maybe some juice but definitely not two servings a day and I'm fine. If you take multivitamins and take care of your macronutrient requirements, you're going to be fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • link

Having a glass of juice once a day isn't going to hurt but I would definitely drink water for my choice of drink.

0|0
    0|0
  • not really wouldn't consider fruit juice to be as good to drink as eating real fruit , real fruit would always be better than any of these juices or drinks . a lot of fruit juice can also be really sugary

0|0
    0|0
  • It is far inferior and should normally be avoided. For starters, most 100% juices are not 100%. Read the label. Also, most vitamins and minerals do not stay in the juice. in nutritional surroundings this store bought juice is called dead juice. When you juice a piece of fruit is when you will have 100% of it's nutrition. That begins to diminish within hours. Now imagine what happens when you finally get that juice from your supermarket...how much time has passed? Yikes!

Then there is the case for fiber which you need and is non-existant in juice.

But your best case for nutirition is organic and locally grown fruit which make it to your table within a short time instead of the standard 9 months it takes the standard apple to make it to the shelves after picking it.

0|2
    0|0
  • No.

There are several other nutrients acquired in eating the actual flesh of the fruit and not just it's juices. Besides, anything that has to be packaged usually gets a bunch of shlt put in it to preserve the juice, chemicals and what not that keep the juice from going bad. Your better off just seeking organic fresh fruit, which will usually be smaller because it's not packed with hormones and more fresh in taste. Fruits right off the vegetation was the first form of food we ate; lol bottles of orange juice don't grow on trees

Though it would be really convienent if they did.

0|0
    0|0
    • your right about everything but the hormonal part. Theirs 2 types of produce; conventional which is sprayed with over 150 different species of herbicides and pesticides, and organic; which is just all naturally grown.

• Personally I don't use it as an alternative to eating fruit but I do drink a wide array of fruit juices frequently

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's 100% juice, I don't see why it wouldn't be as good as normal fruits. Interesting to see the other answers

0|0
    0|0
  • Fruit juice has more cals and sugar than regular fruit

1|0
    0|0
  • It lacks fibers, Togepi.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes I do.

0|0
    0|0
  • Comparing nutritional value, looks like an orange is almost the same as orange juice for vitamins.

But one problem, juice has no fiber, so drinking tons of juice will give you to much sugar spikes which lead to problems that will out way the benefits.

0|2
    0|0

Recommended myTakes