Do you consider 100% fruit juice to be considered a legitimate alternative to eating fruit?

I was in the grocery store shopping, and I happened to think about this.

Anyone who grocery shops, can attest that getting 8 servings of fruit in a half gallon bottle of 100% juice for ~$3.50, imo is a great deal compared to fresh fruit.

Fruit juice (frozen concentrate, bottled) is so much more convenient and cost-effective way to help get in your servings of fruit vs. solely eating fresh fruit, since fresh fruit spoils, and fruit juice stays good for months.

With people cutting back on their expenses in this recessed economy, 100% fruit juice may become more attractive to people.

-----

My question is, do you feel that a 8oz serving of 100% juice, is comparable, health-wise, to eating a serving of fresh fruit?

Vote and reply as much as you like.

-----

P.S. Feel free to guess the Pokemon! :-P
  • You can substitute 100% fruit juice, for all fresh fruit to get your servings, with no health risks
  • 100% fruit juice is slightly less beneficial than fresh fruit; OK to have occasionally
  • 100% fruit juice is WAY less beneficial than fresh fruit, but is OK to have
    Vote C
  • All fruit juice, 100% or not, should be avoided; only eat fresh fruit
    Vote D

49

Most Helpful Guy

• True 100% fruit juice, meaning they don't add sugar, additives, preservatives, is just as good as the fruit itself. It's just fruit that's been squeezed.

Of course, bottling pure fruit juice, pasturizing it, can be expensive, and if you don't keep it refrigerated after you open it, it can go back quick, To save money and cashi in, many companies try to mislead consumers by diluting the juice and adding sugar, or adding preservatives, so you need to really read labels to make sure you are getting what you want. Real, 100% fruit juice WILL be more expensive, so if you find something cheap, it's probably had some compromises.

• No fiber.

• Your not getting all the macro nutrients in juice then you will get from a fleshy fruit. In short, a fruit juice; even if 100% natural, is just one big sugar shot!

• And you're missing out on a lot of essential nutrients.