Does this mean that a guy has low standards?

If I know that a majority of people think I'm unattractive. Through middle school and high school I was always called ugly by random people. I've graduated this year and now I am 18. I've had a few guys that were actually nice to me since I've graduated high school. Every time someone compliments me I feel like they have low standards since I'm considered ugly and I lose interest in them.

46

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, I've been there too. I was always insulted and teased by girls for being ugly, or while I was a small child, "funny looking". Even now, as a middle age adult, there are still immature people who mock my looks. Hell, even my own father called me ugly a few times. And to add insult to injury, my stepdaughter looked at my pictures as a teen and said I was ugly then, but she did quickly say "but you turned out good now" lol.

It put all sorts of bad ideas in my head. I could never trust a girl if she was attracted me, I just assumed she wanted to con me out of something. Or she was very desperate which turned even me off.

But over the years I did learn what physical traits considered attractive are not entirely universal. And, the premium people place on physical attraction differs. To many women, I am very ugly, but to some, I am good looking. So I learn to seek out those "somes".

I don't know what you look like, so I have no idea if you are truly ugly or was just teased that way, and it's not my place to say anyway. My advice to you is be cautious, be take baby steps in trusting when someone compliments you unless and until they do something to show they aren't trustworthy. And regardless what you look like, stand tall and confident, walk like you don't give a sh*t what people think of you, especially petty useless people who feel they have to say mean things to you.