"You don't look like the typical black girl" What does this even mean?

The first time someone told me I don't look like the typical black girl it was by a photographer I was modeling for. Since then I have gotten these comments all the time.

Another incident was when my friend set me up on a date she told the guy I was mixed (half white half black) When in reality I'm just black. My father is mixed but I just consider myself a regular black woman.

I'm not even very light skinned like Jordin Sparks I have the same skin tone and facial features as Vanessa Morgans (My babysitters a vampire)

What does it mean that I don't look like the typical black girl?

32

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. The primary situation is certainly not what you consider yourself as :)

2. Your father is mixed race so that may bring about certain genetic changes to you too immaterial of what you consider your ethnicity as

3. Immaterial of which celeb you compare your skin tone and features to (as unlike) a typical 'black' is characterized by various things

3.1. curly and generally short hair

3.2. large nose and lips etc

Over a period of time of living in places other than native place, mixing ethnicites etc there are changes to the features and anatomy as is there in behavior and beliefs. This may be the reason why the statement :)