If It Takes You SIX Years To Graduate from College?

Should you be lecturing other people in the workplace?

28

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a vague question, which makes it difficult to give an answer to. It sounds like you're just upset about something and venting, really.

But I will say this:

1. There can be many reasons why a person might take a longer time to graduate from college. It's false just to assume that if someone took 6 years to graduate, it makes them an idiot or something. They may have been going to college part time because they needed to work to pay for it, or because they had other financial responsibilities. They could have went through a personal trauma that affected their school work negatively. They may have just goofed off a lot in their first few years (but that doesn't mean that they didn't get their act together or that they don't know their stuff).

2. Taking longer to graduate doesn't mean that you have no right to speak up about something in your workplace. If my coworkers aren't doing their job correctly, for example, that has nothing to do with the length of time it took me to graduate.

• ITA. You do have the right to voice your opinion at work but it does seem ironic to talk down to people with more education.

• Well, I can actually speak to that personally. I'm a nurse. While there is some overlap in the education and doctors and nurses, we have different sets of knowledge, skills, and experience. Even though the doctors I work with have gone to school for longer than I have and more knowledge on some topics, they respect my opinion. They ASK me for my opinion on things all the time. I also challenge their decisions because they sometimes make mistakes, or I notice something that they didn't.

• They WELCOME my input, rather than get defensive.

I don't know your situation, so maybe the person you're talking about is being a d*** about it. It's not cool to be a d***. But I disagree with your view that having taken 6 years to graduate means that a person can't speak up when they think someone is doing something wrong---they might be right.