Why an ex acts nervous and unsure how to act around me? Does this mean he still has feelings for me?

My friend is trying to convince me that my ex acted awkward, nervous and unsure what to do around me because he still cares. For reference, I ended things saying I was done if he didn't start treating me better and we had no contact for a few weeks. A couple of days ago I texted him very casually, acting like everything was fine hoping to smooth things over and give him a chance. Because of that text I expected one of four responses upon seeing him. That he would follow my lead and act like everything was fine so we could start talking again. That he would be cocky because he realized he's still got me. That he would be nonchalant because he just doesn't care. Or that he would be mean because he wants nothing to do with me and wants to make it clear. But instead he comes up to me, acts nervous and unsure, gives me an awkward hug and walks off?! And why would he hug me? He doesn't usually hug me if he doesn't want to, its not something he does out of politeness. But then why did he walk off? He shouldn't have been afraid to talk to me after our texting conversation, I thought I made it clear I wasn't angry anymore. I'm very confused, does he still care? I don't understand how nervous entered the picture.

01