Do you think technology is more helpful than harmful or vice versa?

I was wondering about this because a guy almost knocked me over the other day because he was walking around glued to his phone.

What do you think?
Updates:
:-) I don't think I was very clear when asking. I'm not against technology nor do I want to go back. I was just curious what others thought because I was discussing this subject earlier with a friend.

She saw a documentary where the guy was saying how great it is yet also how harmful it COULD be. That guy stuck to his phone and others like him was just the reason we'd started talking about it. Ha ha.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's more helpful than harmless.

Technology opens a lot of possibilities and makes our lives way more convenient and comfortable.

You don't want to live back in the ancient times - where were no phones, no cars, no computers, no transportation - apart from a horse, and the only way how could you communicate with people who live far away is to deliver a handwritten letter all by yourself or paying someone who will deliver it for you - and it could take days, weeks, months.. and let's not even talk about a reply, today you can communicate with people from the other side of the planet instantly!

And the food? There were no supermarkets, you would eat only what you grew in your farm and if there's a bad year you simply got no food! That so - no alternatives!

And the medicine? Today you can cure a lot of diseases (although new ones still appear but hey - you don't die young) and live a normal life many, many years but even just few hundreds of years ago only one from 10 kids made it to 21 - remember how many times you've been ill in your childhood - without the modern world those cases would be fatal.

Oh yeah - but today people are stuck at their mobile phones and Facebook, but hey - I dare to say it's only a lesser evil for a greater good!

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• More helpful because it's

Medically: more helpful,

scientifically: more helpful,

Educationally: more helpful,

Industrially: more helpful,

In entertainment: more harmful,

In building, engineering and construction: more helpful.

etc..

So you see it's originally intended to be more helpful than harmful.

But if people who use it badly increased,

then it would be definitely harmful.

0|1
    0|0
  • The technology itself is useful, but the degree some people use it as a SUBSTTUTE for real life, or drive texting, or run over people because they are blinded on one side by their phone..that is indeed a problem.

1|0
    0|0
    • This is the reason we started talking about it which made me ask. My friend wouldn't give it up. Ever. But thinks it can become dangerous for some reason you just gave and an over Sorry. I wasn't very clear about what I was asking. Lol.

• technology is more helpful than not. but that does not fix stupid and rude. but when I was in the hospital months back I was very grateful for technology. so a few stupid on the street I can tolerate.

1|0
    0|0
    • You are right!

(And I was thinking more along the lines of stuff like social interaction with people in real life so I should have phrased it that way but I didn't.)

• More helpful, I mean OK the dude almost bumped you but I'm still happy that I can get an Xray when I mess up my ankle. I wouldn't trade all the technology we have just to avoid having people bumping into me while they're busy being douchebags...

1|0
    0|0
  • It's helpful with harmful side effects. All this technology we have has crippled people's abilities to communicate in person effectively. PEople are less confrontational and turn to their phones to "voice" themselves constantly.

0|0
    0|0
  • Neither. It depends on the person using it. Man's first "high tech", fire, gave us warmth and light, but also arsonists.

0|0
    0|0
  • More helpful than harmful - my eyes are turning red now after hours of staring at screen but we aren't at a stage where we can go back.

Its about balanced adaptation with some compromise.

0|0
    0|0
  • helpful,

vets just gave skin grafts to my dog who attacked by another dog.

my step father just had the tumors in his liver frozen with a brand new technology so now he won't die in the near future,

I live on the opposite side of the world from my family, but I can Skype with them and so talk face to face with them on a regular basis.

1|0
    0|0
    • I'm very glad the doctors helped your step dad and I'm sorry to hear about your dog being attacked. I'm not against advancement at all. :-)

• The guys have it right, the technology isn't the one crashing cars and bumping into others, that's people.

Excess and obsession in anything can have consequences.

We live in the age of over-stimulation.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes