Technology is the death of romance. agree?

I don't want to tell my kids I met the love of my life on Facebook, or that he asked me out in a text message...it's just not the same.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Technology isn't ruining romance, it is merely changing it. You have an idea that romance is running after someone in an airport before they get on a plane and fly away, or w/e you think romance is, because you grew up thinking that was it.

1|3
    0|0
    • but how can anything that takes away risk and bypasses face to face human contact ever be considered romantic? texting someone to ask them out is easy, telling someone they're hot on a FB wall is easy, telling all that to their face is hard, and that's what makes it mean something.

• Things being difficult to do and things being romantic are two different things.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Yup I think you are right. Technology makes people lazy and arrogant, which in turn kills all spontaneity and romance. It also makes people hide behind an online personality they have created for themselves. I'm sure everyone knows at least one person on there fb that is very vocal and comments on everything etc, and in real life they are the quietest and most boring person you'll ever meet.

1|1
    0|0
  • Hahahaha

sorry but it's not the death it's the birth of another style,

but what do I know

My Girlfriend I have I have known for years, before I asked her out, and she refuses to use Facebook, and she is more cell phone illiterate than me, and I am pretty illiterate on my cellphone myself

1|0
    0|0
  • yup the online trip kind of unleashed the chix from their inhibitions & let em run around wildly like kawksockets gathering all the STDs they can and/or gettn knocked by 1000 fathers ending with a trip to Maury Povich with 5 guys testing only for the modern pop culture girl to hear "you are NOT the father" 5 times in a row.

yup chix run around in this age spreading their legs so fast youd swear they were doing the Can-Can dance across the city horizon, I never seen so many single moms in my life & I know its a direct result of these chix trying to copy TMZ celebrities & that TV show about ol spinster hasbeen chix whoring around 'sex in the city'.

this is sad to see being an country boy raised Christian, got lucky & missed the last 10+yrs of our fall of Rome having been away fighting only to come to see this BS like EVERYWHERE knowing this is not going to end good for us, a fractured decadent civilization trying party as Rome burns with the Germanic Hordes at the gates lol

0|2
    1|0
  • There are even jokes about that.. your parents met each other at the high-school dance but you met your significant other on the Internet...

It's just the reality of today. Accept it. You cannot change it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Pretty much, it kills a lot of the good stuff. But hey there's still a bunch left. And that stuff left is still pretty awesome.

1|1
    0|0
  • you are very right I went out with a girl and she keep looking at her text messiege we were at a very nice resteunt and I went to the bath room then walk out the back. I knew it was wrong but there's NO need to check the your text on a date when I go out. l leave the number of the place or places were ill be with the baby sitter. I am a full time 35 single dad and I am just old fashion and see no need to have my cell phone with me at all times

0|1
    0|1
  • I agree, it just seems so blah... I try not to use FB for those purposes... And when you ask someone out for the very first time it should probably be in person... Or at the very least call them.

1|0
    0|0
  • While I'll agree that those do not make for the most romantic stories, I do not agree about technology being the death of romance. I think that romance can still happen as long as both parties still take time to be with each other.

0|1
    0|0
  • I really don't understand why you imagine love coming easier is a bad thing. Love is a divine spark, not a series of fights to the death.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah I agree! Lol. I'd rather have someone ask me out in person. Technology is taking away from all those personable encounters. I wish I had been born in the 70s

1|0
    0|1
    • Asking out girls over texting is a good example...that is so weak! What's happening to my gender? :-X

• I've had guys completely ignore me in person and then chat me up nonstop on Facebook/text.

• well you haven't really met til you actually meet. So go on a lunch date and tell them you him on your lunch and you started talking.

0|1
    0|0
  • Dating websites are worse...

1|0
    0|0
  • Yea, I agree.

1|0
    0|0
  • AGREE!

0|0
    0|0
  • Hahaha your kids will have even more interesting ways of meeting their love. We are not going back in time, we're proceeding. & It doesn't necessarily have to be the death of romance, love is what you make it, and making it romantic is up to YOU, regardless of where and how you met your love, not blame it on technology.

0|0
    0|0
    • Though, I do agree with one person here, Technology is affecting social skills, because you can be romantic anywhere, even behind a computer, phone, etc. but being social is a whole different thing.

• I couldn't disagree more. Just look at how things have progressed over the past 100 years. In the Early 20th century lots of people lived in small towns and those that lived in cities generally stayed within their own neighborhood. Cars and telephones were pretty much non-existent. Everyone was so isolated. 100 years ago some people were still marrying their cousins, not because they had some weird incest fetish, but because that was literally the only option they could find.

Over time technology increased transportation and communication. People could drive or fly to areas that they previously would have never gone too. People could use phones to talk to people a long distance away. Conversations that would have taken weeks or months with letters were carried out in minutes, sighs, giggles and sweet sentiments were turned into electrical signals and sent anywhere in the country, or even the world. Technology brought us closer, greatly opened up the dating pool, and made distance less of a factor in meeting people and developing a relationship.

Then there was the internet. We are all so very connected to each other, I could, with a little bit of effort any one of us could find dozens people online that we could have, at a minimum, a pleasant relationship with.

The impact of this cannot be overstressed. When I settle down with a woman, it will not be because we went to high school together and out of the hundreds of girls there she was the one I found most appealing, nor because we met in college and she was my first choice out of the thousands of girls that was also attending that college. When I choose the woman I will spend the rest of my life with, it will be because I haven't found anyone that I could love more than her. It will be because out of the thousands of women from dozens of countries that I have had the chance to talk to (all thanks to technology) it was her that captured my heart. I will be able to look her in the eye and tell her that she is my one and only, and that I literally searched the world to find her.

1|1
    0|0
    • interesting points, I do agree with what you're saying, technology does open up the world and give us more options to meet more people and therefore more chance to find "the one"

But people also hide behind their phones and laptops now to the point where if you're not online you won't meet anyone, I've been in situations where I meet a guy through a friend at a party in real life, he could have asked me out then, but instead he only communicates with me through text and Facebook.

• I don't think that is the death of romance. I can think of other things.

1|0
    0|0
  • Wanna have cyber sex? If you're any good maybe we can have an e-relationship.

2|1
    0|0
  • I dunno, my boyfriend and I met online and now pretty much all of our communication is through texting and Skype because we live so far away, but it doesn't FEEL any less romantic to me... Not to mention that I've had plenty of in-person encounters that are the opposite of romantic :P

It sounds mushy but I'm a firm believer that most situations can be "romantic" if you and your partner don't let it hinder how loving and caring you are toward each other.

2|1
    0|0
  • it's also affecting, ruining social-skills, conversation-skills, especially the internet, and that hurts guys way more than girls since guys are expected to initiate things, it could not have come at a worse time

0|3
    0|1
  • Men are the death of romance, not technology.

3|1
    0|7
    • How are men the death of romance? Please explain. *listening*

• They don't know how to be romantic, they just think with their *****.

Plus, I copied the comment of the guy above,

so you have to tell me how women are the death of romance?

We are originally emotional creatures and like the romance.

Recommended myTakes