Big kitchen, big bedroom, or big bathroom?

Say you are in the market to buy a house and you don't have a lot, just enough for a starter home.

With this budget, you can find yourself a house with one of the rooms being the feature- ie a big master bedroom, a big master bath, a nice kitchen, etc.

If you had to choose ONE room to be the feature of your house, what would it be.

Keep in mind this isn't fantasy land, haha. You can't "add on" later- remember, you're just starting out.
Updates:
I would totally choose my kitchen. I like to cook and lack of cooking space is annoying.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I would love a big bathroom with a tub in the middle of the room and a wet room. I would also love a big spacious bedroom with an open fire and an area to chill out and read. But they are luxuries a decent kitchen is more important. The kitchen is the most important room in your house, its where you spend most of your time, it will have the most traffic going through it and it is the place people gather.

I bought my first house at 21 and am now on my 3rd and so have learned what is really important in a house. The kitchen is the first thing people look at and it is what adds value to your house.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I would go with a big kitchen. Not only would that help the house maintain it's value, but a good kitchen would have people in it a lot of the time. With your entire house to live in, you don't need to spend a lot of time in your bedroom, so space in it isn't all that critical (though closet space is good to have), and as long as I have a sink, shower, and toilet, the bathroom is big enough.

1|0
    0|0
  • Bathroom. I like having counter space for makeup and such, and I would have a ridiculous jacuzzi tub that I would probably never want to get out of. Also I like bathrooms with closet space for towels, cleaning supplies, and extra TP so that I don't have to cram it all under the sink.

My dream bathroom would practically be a mini spa lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Big kitchen. There's never enough room in the kitchen we have now, no matter who's cooking. It wouldn't be so bad if my mom would clean her crap off the counters, though. Otherwise, I'd like a bigger bedroom, just so I can have more territory to do more with. The bathroom doesn't really matter to me... I don't really see why it needs to be big, unless there are multiple people in there at once. I prefer getting ready alone in there.

I think this would have been an interesting poll.

0|0
    0|0
  • Bedroom.

Then kitchen.

Then bathroom.

The bedroom is my cool down place, my sanctuary. It's where I cool down from a long day. A poky kitchen and bathroom is a pain but it's only a pain for 30mins tops, whereas the bedroom you're there for hours!

0|0
    0|0
  • Kitchen. The kitchen, in an architectural sense is the 'hearth' of the home and many modern architects such as Mies and FLW had a feature kitchen and living space that catapulted their careers. In a more colloquial sense, the kitchen is where you would host your parties, so nice kitchen always.

0|0
    0|0
  • A big kitchen. Why? I'm not really sure. I guess it is because all I'd do in my bedroom is sleep so it doesn't have to be big and I don't need a big bathroom either. Maybe a big kitchen would influence me to cook more often.

0|0
    0|0
  • I say kitchen...i don't need A LOT of bedroom/closet space, nor bathroom space.

Kitchen space would be put to better use for me...cauz that's where everybody drinks alcohol at! ;-)

0|0
    0|0
  • I would totally choose the bathroom, assuming the "bigness" of it means it has a large bathtub. I've always wanted one.

0|0
    0|0
  • HAHAHA...good Question...but I do not mind a small kitchen as I can reach everything more quickly and easier...and while we REALLY enjoy ourselves in the bathroom...I think Debbie & I both wish we had a bigger bedroom...(:(:(:

0|0
    0|0
  • I think I would choose the kitchen that's where people I have over would spent the most time, so it would be nice to have enough space :)

0|0
    0|0
  • kitchen>bathroom>bedroom

bedroom/bathroom are about equal in how much id like them to be big. I want counter & cabinet space in a bathroom & bedroom size depends on what furniture I have.

0|0
    0|0
  • Bedroom. I never really had a big one growing up so why not spoil myself.

:)

0|0
    0|0
  • Choose the kitchen, because you will spend more time there than anywhere else.

0|1
    0|0
  • Bathroom. Then bedroom. Then kitchen. I have a small kitchen now, and I manage just fine. But I really wish my bathroom was bigger.

0|0
    0|0
  • Kitchen. Cooking is my passion, and I'm used to all the rest of the rooms being small, anyhow.

0|0
    0|0
  • Big bedroom, cleaning the kitchen would be very difficult and tiresome.

0|0
    0|0
  • BIG well designed Kitchen! A crowded kitchen is a nightmare. XD

0|0
    0|0
  • Kitchen! that's the focal point that everyone see's

0|0
    0|0
  • Medium kitchen/bedroom/bathroom.. :D

If I had to choose one, I think I'd easily say big bathroom

0|0
    0|0
  • A really big closet!

0|1
    1|0
  • bathroom, id put a jakuzzi in it so I can chill :D

0|0
    0|0
  • Bedroom

0|0
    0|0
  • kitchen or bedroom

0|0
    0|0
  • Kitchen though it is a plus if it open-plan.

0|0
    0|0
  • KITCHEN!

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm gonna need a big bedroom.

0|0
    0|0
  • big kitchen I guess.

0|0
    0|0
  • Kitchen. Its where I spend most of my time.

0|0
    0|0
  • big kitchen. My woman is going to need a lot of room to cook my dinner.

1|0
    0|0
  • big kitchen

or a nice piece of land

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes