Do you think Anarchy is a valid political stance to take?

'Cos nowadays, in the West, I notice most people sort of treat anarchy like a silly stepchild, who doesn't really matter. Like, when people identify as anarchist they're really not taken seriously. Do you think it's not comparable to Capitalism and Socialism?

48

Most Helpful Girl

• Then make them take you seriously in the same way you did with the previous answerer who incorrectly stated that Anarchy is the opposite of order and method.

I must say that you handled the discussion in an admirable way by using sources about Spain.

Suggestion: Read books and articles by Bakunin (who is considered to be the father of Anarchy), Kropotkin, Emma Goldman and Noam Chomsky (a recent one).

Personally, I am in love with the idea of Anarchy. Unfortunately, I don’t think it could work nowadays because people are misinformed and ignorant about it. Most of them haven’t even heard that there are many different types of Anarchy. Anarchy is portrayed as something animalistic and outside human’s nature.

People are imbeciles (I don’t exclude myself), they follow fashion, they worship money and people with high-status and they know nothing at all. They just keep quoting silly words that are told by people in power, politicians and journalists of mass media to make themselves appear knowledgeable.

If people gave it a try in Anarchy it would probably end up in Tyranny. That’s because some power-hungry people would take advantage of the situation by using their charisma in order to start manipulating and controlling other people (or the physically stronger would probably use physical force to make the physically weaker kneel before them etc).

So the idea, would most probably fade very quickly.

Another thing which should be considered is that are afraid of freedom because we are taught all of our lives that freedom is something inconceivable and impossible. It’s extremely hard to detach our wired brains from that thought.

We spend our whole lives working because of fear. Our entire lives are based on fear (fear of being unable to pay our taxes, fear of poverty, fear of wars, fear of not being socially acceptable etc).

From the time we are born until we die we are slaves. We are slaves and we have learnt to embrace our chains and to pass them on to our offsprings, so that the constant cycle continues.

We are not ready yet. I don’t know if we will ever be but unfortunately right now, we are not ready to embrace an anarchical society.

We should start being aware of our situation. We should turn off our tvs, start reading and conversing more with other people. Also, we should listen more than we talk.

That would be a good start in my opinion.

As for “capitalism” and “socialism” I will give you my definitions.

Capitalism: A system in which poor become poorer and rich become richer. Everything is structured on greed.

Socialism: Restraint and servitude.

Have you heard of Zapatistas? link

^If not you may find that interesting.

Sorry for rambling.

By the way, excuse my poor English, I am not a native speaker.

• Hehe, thankyou! And, very impressive answer. Very.

I know all those names except Bakunin, but I haven't read any anarchist literature apart from a few excerpts of Proudhon. I began as a Trotskyist and was a fringe members of a few Communist Radical groups in Northern Ireland, and eventually moved into Frankfurt School Marxism before dismissing the notion of Communism altogether. It's only recently I've become acquainted with Anarchy and seen under the veil that it's *not* just total madness----

• Anarchic systems, usually syndicates, can be very real. The same can apply to any kind of labour. Gather Anarchists, set-up, become smalltime entrepreneurs. Abolish Wage Slavery as was the Big Ideal of the Spanish collectives. Abolish hierarchies. Don't ignore luxuries, don't allow for corruption. It'll catch on, it's a far, far better alternative to Corporatism and the only rational one really posed, or rather, not posed. Just start small...

Very interesting about the Zapatistas, also----

• I hadn't heard about them. Maya Liberationists! I dig. Are you Mexican?

And; what do you identify as, politically? Or are you political at all? Since you seem to refute Anarchism, Capitalism and Socialism.