Question for Jews on beliefs.

So, I just met someone the other day in one of my classes that's Jewish, and I think it would be interesting to talk to him about our beliefs, since I believe some of the same things as the Jewish faith. (I keep the Sabbath and holy days) only I don't know really where I should start. All I really know about Judaism is what I learned in Religions class... Jesus was a prophet, and the messiah wasn't born yet. I also have heard of messianic Jews, and some Jews that keep Christmas and believe in Jesus and everything... I don't want to offend him or anything. So to anyone Jewish, what are your beliefs as compared to Christianity? I'm hoping to get a few different viewpoints to look at.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• lol there are so many types of Jews! If you're in America, first find out if he's Jewish but believes in Christianity or another religion. If not move on to reform, conservative and orthodox, each of those have more categories and can vary from each person's personal beliefs. There are Jews who consider themselves traditional, or some who are culturally Jewish. Some see Judaism as an ethnicity or as a political opinion. Some are Zionist and some are anti-Semitic (hypercritical, I know, but what can you do?)

In Israel (where I live) there are all of those things, and more. There are Chiloni Jews who are more conservative, there are Mesorati, who are traditional, there are Modern Orthodox, Ultra-Orthodox, Charedi, Chabbad, Gur, Carlibach, Sfaradi, Ashkenaz and more. There are Jews who are converts, there are Jews who "Chazru Bitshuva", there are Jews who are Jewish from their mother or from their father (means different things). And don't forget every country that has Jews (pretty much everywhere in the world) has different traditions, and maybe some different takes on the religion...

Basically what I'm getting at is that you have to ask him. There's no way he'll be offended, because there are so many types of Jews, he'll understand and I'm sure be happy to explain...

Sorry for ranting, and I hope I helped!

:)

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Ask him 'What type of judaism are you?' Chances are he's Rabbinic, but you have Second Temple, Kabbalic, Traditional, Orthodox, etc. a lot of very old and interesting types of Judaism, and if he is one of those types of jews he'd be really impressed with you knowing they exist.

But, I'm not jewish, so, I can't really comment further reliably.

0|1
    0|0
  • Honestly you can ask him, there's no way he'd be offended by such a question.

That being said, if you only want to know about the beliefs, the major difference is that we don't belive in Jesus being a prophet, which makes tones of things different, like religious celebration, things we can and can't do ... But that would be a very long list.

Our Bible would basically be the Old testament + Some other books, none of them being part of the new testament.

0|0
    0|0
  • The only real difference between Jews and Christians are that jesus was not the son of god and he was not the savior etc..we don't celebrate Easter. That's really about it. If you really want to ask him about it, why don't you ask if you could go to a service with him sometime, I'm sure he'd love to take you

0|0
    0|0
  • Just curious what your religion is? I am a seventh day Adventist.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes