I feel like an idiot!

I took piano lessons from 9-16, and I play and sing for my church since I was 17(I'm 20, almost 21). I have a very wide and varied range of music that I like to listen to. My problem is that there are some songs that I really wanna play, but when I try to play them I have a terrible time trying to figure out the rhythm and the flow of some of the songs. I'm not terrible at playing, and I actually play by ear, and I'm not trying to say I'm like a prodigy or an idiot savant or whatever. But I feel like an idiot when I can't get some songs, and people have this look on their face like 'what is so hard about this song? why are you having trouble with it?'. Even a guy I know and used to perform with asked me one time 'why do you have problems with this song? obviously you need to work on your timing' I was just like O.o! My timing is just fine, it's just some songs are harder for me to get the rythm down. Since then I get self-conscious about my playing when I make a mistake or I can't quite get something.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Do you read music? If so, get the sheet music and slow it down to a beat or two per second and count it out. Then start very slowly speeding it up. Some rhythms are counter intuitive for some of us.

0|0
    0|0
    • i can read sheet but it takes me awhile to do that, I'm better at chord music...and that's usually what I do, slowing it down till I get the right speed

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• What kind of songs/pieces are you playing? It might help if you use a metronome.

When I want to learn how to play a guitar song, I'll listen to it over and over again and when I look up the tab, I take it measure by measure. I start slowly and then pick up speed, depending on how quickly it has to be played.

0|0
    0|0
    • a wide variety of songs...usually the ones that give me problems are the ones that only have like 2 chord progressions in them for a verse, doesn't matter if its a fast or slower paced song...the songs that I don't have issues with are ones that have like a 3/4/5+ chord progresson again doesn't matter if its a fast or slow paced song

• I don't know what it's like where you live, but where I'm from learning to play a piano usually also includes learning solffegio, music theory, doing all these exercises to help you practice rhythm, hearing etc. Perhaps that would help.

0|0
    0|0
    • no idea what 'solffegio' is but yea I learned all of that stuff

Recommended myTakes