I feel like an idiot!

I took piano lessons from 9-16, and I play and sing for my church since I was 17(I'm 20, almost 21). I have a very wide and varied range of music that I like to listen to. My problem is that there are some songs that I really wanna play, but when I try to play them I have a terrible time trying to figure out the rhythm and the flow of some of the songs. I'm not terrible at playing, and I actually play by ear, and I'm not trying to say I'm like a prodigy or an idiot savant or whatever. But I feel like an idiot when I can't get some songs, and people have this look on their face like 'what is so hard about this song? why are you having trouble with it?'. Even a guy I know and used to perform with asked me one time 'why do you have problems with this song? obviously you need to work on your timing' I was just like O.o! My timing is just fine, it's just some songs are harder for me to get the rythm down. Since then I get self-conscious about my playing when I make a mistake or I can't quite get something.

12

Most Helpful Guy

• Do you read music? If so, get the sheet music and slow it down to a beat or two per second and count it out. Then start very slowly speeding it up. Some rhythms are counter intuitive for some of us.

• i can read sheet but it takes me awhile to do that, I'm better at chord music...and that's usually what I do, slowing it down till I get the right speed