I'm giving my boyfriend a second chance after hiding things from me in his phone and now my best friend is pissed at me, should I have forgiven him?

My boyfriend let me look at his phone the other night, which he often doesn't even give me the opportunity to do. I scrolled through his Facebook messages and saw he messaged a girl he used to talk to saying that he missed her and everything in his life was going good except for not having her in it the day after he and I started dating. In his texts I found the same day he sent that message on Facebook, he sent a text to his ex saying he also missed her. Then I looked through his pictures and saw that he had an entire album saved in his phone from Facebook of one specific girl who had sent him different pictures of her... lower lady parts and her chest. Her face was in a couple and I recognized her as someone who liked almost everything on his profile including our relationship status (which we later changed without specifics as a mutual agreement). Mind you, the most recent date on the picture was from two weeks ago and later ones dated back to at least a month ago. He told me he didn't know what he was thinking when he saved them, but he said when it got too far that he deleted and blocked her. The fact that he saved them at all and flirted with other people was absolutely unacceptable but after some talking, getting to the bottom of things, and deactivating all social media accounts, I decided to give him another chance. My best friend became really good friends with him throughout our (mine and my bf's) relationship and was probably more pissed about him pulling that crap than I was. She actually sat there when I first confronted him about everything, but didn't say a word until he left and was convinced he was telling lie after lie to my face. I've been cheated on before, but this situation was different. Should I have even given him a second chance or should I have dumped him as soon as I saw those pictures and messages?
1
2