How did you meet your SO?

How did your friendship/acquaintanceship evolve into a relationship, or was it random? Basically, tell me your 'how we became a thing' story, so me and other lonely peoples can get ideas on how to meet girls please! :)

4|0

Most Helpful Girl

• We met on vacation in Costa Rica. A wave introduced us by bowling me over and sending me crashing into poor unsuspecting him. If you ask him what the first thing he noticed about me, he'll tell you it was my elbow as it impaled his rib cage. >.<

You kind of have to talk to someone when you meet like that. Turned out we lived 10 minutes away from each other back in the States. He was the only one near my age at the resort and we had 2 weeks to kill so we hung out the entire time. Then didn't talk for a year and met again on vacation the next year at the same place and this time we got contact information and spent literally the next 3 years glued to our phones texting each other until we started dating.

I was 14 when we met.

I'm 21 now. We started dating when I was 18.

16|4
    0|0
    • That could literally be straight from a novel. Lol, terrific meeting.

• Show All
    • Did you seriously text each other for three years before you met again?

• We weren't allowed to see each other. We saw each other on occasion. My brother is a swimmer and so is he. We'd see each other maybe once every two months for about 5 minutes when I'd drop my brother off at practice. But yeah. We did text for 3 years before we dated. Now we have awesome communication skills though lol

Most Helpful Guy

• Back in 1983, my brother and sister-in-law were getting married. My sister-in-law-to-be went to our same church so I obviously knew her and all, but I didn't know her best friend from high school since they lived on the other side of town. I was my brother's best man and Carole's best friend was to be the Maid of Honor. So, at the rehearsal, Carole's best friend (this girl I knew nothing about) and I had to walk down the aisle, arm in arm. After the run through, the minister asked if anyone needed to to go through it again and this girl said "I do, I do.". I thought to myself, geeze, girl, it wasn't that had to remember everything you need to do.

After the practice, our two families and all of the bridesmaids and groomsmen went to a nice pizza restaurant in town. Of course being a bridesmaid, this girl was there. We were sort of expected to sit next to each other in the restaurant. As a result, we started to talk. We found out that both of us weren't in relationships. She admitted that she wanted to do the rehearsal a second time because she had wanted to be able to be arm-in-arm with me a second time because she was starting to have a crush on me.

Since I had flown in to be at the rehearsal and wedding, I had no car and was depending upon my parents to take me back to my boyhood home for the night. She told my parents not to worry and that she would drive me home. We continued to talk after most everyone else left the restaurant. We finally said that we each needed to get home and get some sleep before all of the work we had to do in order to get everything ready for the wedding.

She drove me home and we parked under a streetlight near my house. But we couldn't stop talking. Four hours later, we finally said good night. Even with all that we had to do the next day getting things ready for the wedding, we tried to spend as much time as possible together.

We've been married 30 years and together for 31.

8|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 55

• Very, very complicated haha. We met when we were 16, we became best friends when we were 18, then a lot of stuff happened (that resulted in both of us breaking each other's hearts at least once), then this year, at 22, we decided that we're in it for the long haul and we're gonna make this work.

6|1
    0|1
  • After five painful years of online dating I gave it up for a year, but decided to give it one last try. I got a message from him, met him, went out... and this month it will be one year :) The thing that sucks is that I was the only female to respond to him. He tried talking to a lot of girls, but I was the only one who gave him the time of day. What I love about that is... it's worth taking a chance!

2|3
    0|0
  • It was my freshmen year. I joined the speech and debate team and in this event you compete with lots of school sin multiple tournaments. He went to my cousins school and when I went over to her teams table to say hi to her I saw him. He was so cute I was instantly attracted so I asked who he was. "Oh that's Noah." She told me. I asked if he was single and she said yes and when I asked her to introduce me she said no XD. Well I was too nervous to say hi so I just watched him and checked him out and stuff... At the next tournament we finally met by fluke and started talking. The second we started talking we knew we clicked. We just knew eachother, neither of us is an easy read but we read each other easily. He fell for me and I fell for him but due to my personal issues at the time I never asked him out and he wasn't sure if I was leading him on or not. So a year passes and I was depressed and suicidal. We hadn't spoken since speech ended but as I cried on my bed room floor wondering who could help me his name came to mind. I sent him a very desprate message and he was on vacation so it took him a whole to get it... But when he did I was mentally stable and he was on his way home in a week. While he was still on vacay we texted non stop and the day he got back he came over. By the end of the night we were dating. Sadly it has yet to even reach 3 months but I know it will last a very long time because I know when something goes wrong you fix it not throw it out. I love Noah and that is the story of how we became "we".

0|2
    0|0
  • Ex-fiance cheats on me with his engaged friend and dumps me so he could guiltlessly continue the affair! :D

31.media.tumblr.com/.../...ct2kqc1s0m0bwo1_500.gif

0|0
    0|1
    • Doesn't really answer my question but ok

• Show All
    • Fallouts like that can make any relationship seem meaningless. Just make sure you're not an idiot like me for getting betrothed to a hyper-religious hypocrite & you'll probably have a better outcome than myself.

• Ya I guess, hyper-religious is a huge red flag for me because I've known a few people who were in relationships with those types, and each outcome is they end up cheating. Good luck finding someone else.

• Believe it or not I met mine on a dating app on my phone! I was single for two years and my friend convinced me that I need prospects. So she made me sign up. Most of the guys were just horny so I was quickly disappointed by the app, until he popped up. We seemed to hit it off straight away. We talked on the app for a week. I stopped sleeping!!! We stay up every night till 4 talking. About anything and everything. We always kept the conversation clean tho. After that week we moved on to exchanging numbers. It only got worse ww talked even more !!! After another week he decided he has enough and that his coming to see me wether I like it or not ! Haha so he did. The first day we met we just seemed to click! The date went perfectly ! So we agreed to give this a shot and now were more amazing than ever !!! I swear our feelings just keep growing! Its so crazy! by the way he lives 2 hours away. We spend the weekends together wether its my place or his. But yeah I found my love on the internet :)

2|0
    0|0
    • That's very cute! But just curious if you guys still text as much?

• Show All
    • Oh man I'm so happy for you! I'm on a dating app hoping the same will happen to me but, like you, so far all I got is a case of the hornies.

• Just hold on there I'm sure you meet your special someone wether its the app or real life :) good luck sweety

• We met here on GAG! I saw some of his answers, totally agreed with him, and sent him a message that said, "Hey! How are you?" We started flirting and getting to know each other and began dating three weeks later. Now we've been together for almost a year and a half, we've met in person twice, and we're very happy that we randomly found each other on here :)

2|0
    1|0
  • It was random i was walking down the road heading home when he rondomly cross the bridge to the side where i walking and he started chatting me up and basically started from there i never through we would be together as long as we have as i was only 16 at the time ten years and two kids later :)

4|1
    0|0
  • Its a novel. Hahahah I met him my freshmen year of high school. He was a grade above me (sophomore) but we had the same class! I noticed him on the first day of class and we made eye contact and I guess you can say we uh hmm "clicked". It took us a while to start talking because we were both too shy! Eventually he asked for my number and we would text every now an then. I didn't think he liked me because he never showed it and he never told me. So I just assumed he didn't and I moved on.. And he did too. He dated one girl during high school but it didn't last. I dated about hmmm 3 guys during high school. It didn't last lol! But the remaining years of high school he would go out of his way to talk to me whether his jealous gf or my controlling bf were right there! He didn't care as long as he would talk to me. So he graduated, then I graduated. Then one day a month before college started... I thought "Hmmm, I wonder how he's doing" and I text him! Hahaha we started talking again :) then we started to hang out and we became very close! Then as time went by he asked me to be his girlfriend and... Here I am lol we've been together over a year now! :)<3 yeah... We have our ups and downs... But which relationship doesn't? We always work it out everytime! We have been through a crap load of things together but we always make it through:)

0|1
    0|0
  • I met my bf when I was 12 and he always tried hanging out with me an he always tried kissing me. Anyways when I was 18 I had a party at my house and I found out he was in town and I got his number an invited him over. After a few weeks of hanging out he asked me out and 3years later were as happy as can be!(:

2|0
    0|0
  • We had Biology together freshman year and we talked a little but it was really awkward. We shared a few friends so we would hang out at lunch every once in awhile. Then we just kinda stopped talking towards the end of the year when everyones classes changed. Then Sophomore year (this year) we have AP World History together and after the first week of school we were going out. we haven't even fought yet. Almost three months together and it couldn't be better :)

0|0
    0|0
    • Nice, how did he ask you out?

• He was to shy to do it in person, so he did it through fb... but he was really sweet about it

• hi,, can you share? how did he ask you out? i want to add that idea, because I also typically shy guy but i want ask this girl out. Thanks!!!

• We met at work and flirted constantly and then one day a couple weeks after he started I pretty much flat out told him I was attracted to him and he said he felt the same way. We went out to lunch a couple times and then that was it, he told me he loved me less than a month later.

1|1
    0|0
  • Wow umm well we actually ended up meeting thanks to my ex, lol! My ex and I were going through a pretty rough patch (he was a player, I was loyal ) and one night he was out with a group of guys downtown and we were chatting on the phone. He decided to go all Mr. macho on me because he was with a bunch of other dudes and started getting verbally abusive and mean with me to impress the other guys. One of the guys that was with him ( my bf) heard him and was like you know that's not cool man. He literally grabbed the phone away from him when he wouldn't stop and told me that he'd deal with him and he wouldn't let him bother me again... we ended up exchanging numbers, meeting up, and we got to be really close friends.. we just kinda understood each other and always seemed really happy when we were together.. ( I was still with my ex at that point, but it wasn't getting any better) so finally my bf said you know you deserve better. Don't let him keep treating you like this! I broke it off with my ex a few days later, he begged me to take him back ect... I flat out refused, enough was enough. A month later my bf said he'd like us to be more than friends, we became official one month later. A month after that he was deployed. We get to see each other on and off when he gets to come home. Those times we spend together are definitely unforgettable. He's mentioned numerous times throughout our relationship that he wants us to be in it for the long haul since we've been together.. and said that he has some surprise for me on our upcoming anniversary, I'm really excited, I think this might be it :') !! Couldn't ask for anyone better ♥

I was 18 then, him 19
    I'm now 20, him 21 ♥

0|0
    0|0
  • I swiped him right on Tinder. It was quite romantic.

3|2
    0|1
  • i met my boyfriend at church, id known him for 3 years but never actually spoke and never did i ever think id fall in love with im. funly enough i was in a relationship at the time id actually spoke to him and felt some sort of a connection. the relationship wasn't right though. met that guy online he was very older and didn't really like me for anything other than my body. but jason was completely different like i instantly felt an instant connection with him. but the thing is if i hasn't left church and experienced that relationship jason wouldn't have been the slightest bit interested because lets be honest before i rebelled from church i was boring haha i was being religious and closing my mind to different interests i was nothing more than a sheep. after that relationship rocketed to the ground which may have hurt at the time. but it brought me and jason togethor and honestly i have never been happier. he treats me like a princess he's always there for me and respects me wanting to wait for erm other things :)

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess kind of through facebook.
    Wed met like once or twice face to face before but wed just occasionally talk on fb. I ended up staying at this strict womans shelter and told him lets hang out, mostly cuz i didn't wanna be there. Then after we chilled a couple times i was pretty much head over heels lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • tbh my friend showed me his profile on MySpace ha ha and i added him started talking to him then we ran into each other at the mall and started hanging out after that as friends because we we're both seeing other people but somewhere down the line things didn't work out with the people we we're seeing. Eventually after hanging out a while we made it official. lol nothing crazy or special.

1|0
    0|0
  • I met him through tinder. :-) He's the sweetest guy on earth.

2|1
    0|0
  • we first heard of each other when i was 12 and he was 13. started dating at 13 ( he was 14). he had a crush on me since the first day of school. we'd skip church and go and hang out secretly at the park, then at school do more stuff. and now we're 18 and soon to get married :D

its our personal choice of getting married so young.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well i was 15, and i would get on this other site just to talk to people because i had nothing else better to do lol. and i had asked people to rate me and someone commented and said they would rate me a ten! and so i messaged him and he messaged me, next thing you know we exchanged numbers and here we are two/ almost three years later and engaged :)

0|0
    2|1
  • It was pretty random. I walked into a food joint with my former roommate. The place is small and was pretty empty, then he walked in. I thought he was cute. So after he was almost done, I stood within his vicinity, lol, and asked him what he was drinking (it was a yogurt drink, never seen it before). We talked for a bit, exchanged numbers. Now we've been together for 2 years.

0|0
    0|0
  • Chatted on Okcupid, exchanged numbers, met up in a pub a week later and BOOM nearly 3 years together, lol.

1|1
    0|0
    • Well that is a lucky catch.

• Yeh, he seriously lucked out there :)

• @Mesonfielde @LastGirlScout

It was very tongue in cheek chatting as well, I thought nothing of it, because I was on the website primarily to troll. Well, at first I decided to be serious about it, but after getting flooded with sexual messages by creepy old guys, I resorted to purposely troll instead.

Then he appeared, didn't take the whole thing seriously, which resulted in me going "fuck it" and meet up on a Saturday afternoon. Didn't come off suspicious, since he set for us to meet at 2 pm in a public place in broad daylight and we have been together ever since, haha.

• We met at a nightclub. My friend knew I was looking for a guy to be in my life and she saw a hot guy and told me to go over and speak to him. So I did. After a whole speaking to each other he asked me out on a date.

1|0
    0|0
  • Me and my now boyfriend were feeling like our relationship wouldn’t work and he wasn’t ready so we were in between more and friends till he finally asked me at like 1 am when I promised to go to bed if he asked what he wanted to ask but wasn’t sure if he should or not

0|0
    0|0
  • He was in my class when I moved to where I live now in fourth grade. We hadn't really been close friends back then, so I kind of forgot about him during the two years he moved away (we had no way of communication). But in seventh grade, he moved back. We began texting every day. Became best friends a year later. Had our first kiss a year after that. Now we've been together for a year.

0|0
    0|0
  • well we started talkin on kik and then out of nowhere he told me he liked me and asked me out and weve dating for about 4-5 months now i love him a lot good luck finding your love x

0|0
    0|1
  • well i know him for 2 years now we're bestfriends, and everyone thought we had something going on about two weeks ago we we're playing t or d , and someone dared us to kiss we did and he admitted to me that he wanted to do it again , in order to save our friendship we decided to havea friends with benefits relationship lowkey but then feelings got in the no strings attached and here we are dating

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, I needed an accompanist for a gig at school. One teacher brought me to this one guy who, as she said, had mad skills on the piano (for the record, he does). We talked everyday and one day, I just randomly kissed him and it happened. Yay :D

0|0
    0|0
  • We met at work, we work in different departments. We use to have small talk for a year before we actually started dating. Someone told him that I found him attractive and then he invited me out for lunch

0|0
    0|0
  • Ours is probably the most hilariously unromantic meeting.

We met... Because of a printer.

Basically, we used to work at the same place. I was an apprentice but fairly high up (it's a very large company, like 10,000 but I worked for one of the managing directors reportees) and that day I had to print and get a copy of a document out ASAP. It was a massive contract. But the printer ran out of literally all it's ink. I called his manager, and he picked up the phone. He was a gentleman and helped me carry everything. I knew personally someone on his team who let him know it was my birthday coming up. And he emailed me to say happy birthday but he was a week out! Turned out my birthday was the day after his.

So yeah. We met because of an empty printer.

3|1
    0|0
  • At my best friend's engagement party. I was sitting in the living room drinking punch telling my friend's little sister, "Stay away from guys. You're too young. They're bad news." Little did I know my future boyfriend was sitting right across from me. He carpooled with another one of my friend's friend. Suddenly we all found ourselves in the kitchen and before you know it it was just him and I. He asked about my life, and we were both baffled by how much we had in common. Conversation got cut off, and I could tell he was definitely not ready to leave, but had to. I asked questions about him. He was asking questions about me (which we both found out later), and then we were able to swap contact information, arrange a date and we've been together ever since.

1|2
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 25

• she rode into me with her bicycle out of nowhere while i was jogging... seriously. then she made it all my fault that i "ran" into her bike (even tho we both had our earbuds in). if you were to ask me that time, i would say she was a bish and i didn't think the situation was least bit romantic. but i guess stranger things have happened.

5|0
    0|0
  • She was a music teacher where I did my student teaching. I heard her playing Beethoven on the piano during lunch. I walked into her class and listened. She didn't know I was there. When she finished, I clapped. She was a bit upset that I snuck up on her and listened (I don't know why as she was a very good pianist and she was used to performing). We talked at work and did lunch, and then on my last day there I asked her out. To my surprise she said yes. The rest is history.

2|3
    0|0
  • I was supposed to get on a greyhound to ride to another state and I spotted a vintage book shop. Had twenty minutes so checked it out. Found Of Mice and Men which is a personal favorite of mine. Not exactly vintage, but it was awesome so I bought it. By the time I got to the Greyhound it turned out I had already missed it so I started wandering for a place to read. There was this beautiful huge tree outside a hospital so I climbed it and was hanging upside down reading the book. Totally tuned out to everything but the words on the pages and the world that it painted. -I was ripped from the book in an instant when I heard this strange, adorable voice outside from the novel, quoting it's words. I moved my gaze and I was face to face with a cute girl. She wasn't physically radical, but her eyes were mesmerizing. It was like when I was looking in her eyes I became captivated and I felt like I was staring at the depths of the ocean. Her eyes were liquid blue and intense. Not in an insane way, but in a scary beautiful disaster revived sorta way. Anyway I got like sincerely enchanted by her eyes and I literally fell for her cuz I lost my balance staring into her eyes and face plummeted out of the tree at her feet. And this girls reaction wasn't some cliche flirtation. Instead she laid down on the ground next to me and handed me a granola bar. And we just laid there together silently eating granola for a little over an hour. And then she broke the silence to say, "just so you know, I just came out of the psych ward due to a lot of reasons that scare everyone away. So if this winds up turning into a friendship I apologize in advance for scaring you and or potentially pissing you off." And it was beautiful and cracked and transparent and honest. And idk, just caught my interest. Hadn't met anyone so real in a long time. We talked there side by side all night until we fell asleep there together. Woke up and hopped a train car the next day together. Things evolved to love.

0|0
    0|0
  • At the university, I did some deals in notes of courses. Selling notes I'd taken, typing them out, even buying notes from others and selling them with a profit. Thus for once I wasn't broke.

I had decided to let go my girlfriend because she cheated a number of times on me and because our idea of a future life weren't the same. Then came a guy she fell in love with and she got pregnant by him. Thus we broke up. No tears or drama.

Then I invited a nice girl I'd met at the uni cafeteria (a fiend's friend), invited her to a show I happened to have tickets for.
    I wanted to make a trip during Christmas break, asked my best female friend but she was in love with some guy then, thus I got a 'no'.

-On her side The girl I had asked out wanted to visit Paris, had asked her best female friend , got a 'no'. Mentioned it to me when we were both getting a coke at the vending machine, asking if I wanted to be her companion. I know Paris very well since my uncle lives there. I accepted.
    I met her parents, -got inspected (lol)- booked two rooms.
    We visited Paris thoroughly , flirted a bit, first Christmas and New year's eve in Paris, first kiss at a romantic place.
    We started dating when we got back home. We took our time before going further.

1|0
    0|0
  • Basically, she was my tattooist for 5 years :3
    we were always super close friends and had a laugh and got along great.
    then i went through some crap and she was there for me.
    and when she had crap, i was there for her...
    and it just blossomed ^_^

5|0
    0|0
  • Last year I had this class with a girl who I thought was really cute, but I didn't have the balls to talk to her, or at least have a real conversation with her. Flash forward to the end-half of August, my friend and I are talking over Kik messenger and he gives me her account. We start talking and I tell her I like her - and she didn't decide to kill me for it! - and now here we are as best friends in an almost-relationship. ('Tis complicated.)

0|0
    0|0
  • Grad School

Study Buddies -> Drinking Buddies -> Hang out all the time -> Ask her out

4|0
    0|0
  • Alright mate, here it goes.

So there was this girl, her nickname was Zo. Now Zo and I didn't exactly know each other but I knew of her. Anyhow, one day, out of the blue, I was summoned to command and given a new assignment, to watch over and ensure the protection of the world from the wrath of the one they call Zo. I was and am willing to take one for the team, mate. It's for the greater good you know and there you have it that's how @soccerchick4eva and I came to be... hahaha ♥ ♥ Love you Zo ♥ ♥

Well, no, it didn't really happen that way, it all started with a single message and one word... Hi
    She and I are both soccer players and fans and that was the reason I messaged her, to ask. And before I knew it my reality, with her, was better than my dreams ♥ ♥ And you know what mate, although she drive me nuts and turns me completely insane, I wouldn't have it any other way... Love you Woman @soccerchick4eva ♥ ♥

1|1
    0|0
    • hahahhaah love you too ♥ ♥

• Show All
    • OH IM TAKING THIS INTO MESSAGE!! 0_0 its the other way around tho, you're the sandwich maker :D hahha

• HAHAHA oh shit, Asker, my good man, if I go missing, Bud, under 'mysterious' circumstances, please point the police in her direction, please mate :D Cheers :)

Yeah, you wish :P I'm not the one doing hospitality.. besides, practice makes perfect, wouldn't want you killing me with that food poisoning haha ;) ♥ @soccerchick4eva

• Haven't met my SO yet, and I probably never will! But I'm cool with it! :)

0|0
    0|0
  • At a nightclub back in April.

I suppose it was quite random as I wasn't clubbing to find a girl, I just wanted to go out for some fun.

It wasn't anything too special... but it might not have happened if I didn't come back after being mugged.

0|0
    0|0
  • Random meeting at a lunch table in college, followed by nsa sex. Then ended up dating the next semester after she broke up with her boy friend. She was single during the one night stand.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was siting on a doorstep and she came up to talk to me,.

1|0
    0|0
  • I was at a pool party at my friend's house and he asked his girlfriend to bring a friend for me. Me and my friend were in the pool when they got there, so we got out and walked over to meet them as we got closer to them I whispered to my friend "dude she's gorgeous" he said "damn she is isn't she." As we were walking we could see they were talking to each other as well apparently she said "Jesus, that's his friend" then his girlfriend said "yeah, I thought you would like him" and she replied "you were right." The we started talking and we ended up hooking up that night and started dating after that.

1|1
    0|0
  • i was just a baby. I looked down and touched my weener. We've been in love w/ each other ever since!

0|0
    0|0
  • Billy Bob's Pizza Place. The manager would let us stay after closing and illegally consume lots of beer and wine. Bear in mind we are all 16 and 17 year olds. A few beers or glasses of wine down and the ball crawl becomes the perfect spot for a very sexually charged wrestling match. Wrestled her once. Made out with her in the back of the arcade later that night. Got married. 27 years, 4 continents and 5 children later we will still wrestle just the same way we did the first time. I'ts kinda beautiful in a white trash kind of way but I'm very proud of us. We done good.

0|1
    0|0
  • Never found her. I imagine that I'll meet her in the gym sometime in the future

0|0
    0|0
  • At the ballet.

0|1
    0|0
  • Junior year of highschool, Me and my friend started rapping about this girls ass while we were walking home. Apparently she didn't think it was sexual harassment, because after that she was so beyond thirsty for me. She forced me to hold her hand and hug her and walk her home everyday. Then she asked me to be her boyfriend lmaooo. She was unvelievably hot, out of my league. It was like a disney movie. Dorky kid with insanely hot girl. My only girlfriend, to date. I remember on that like a dream. I think it was because she was having issues at home that she was willing to be with anybody. Poor girl, I was so mean to her too :(

0|0
    0|0
  • Found her on Gag and she was a nut

1|1
    0|0
  • Met on FictionPress when we were 14, wrote several books together over the course of four years, met up at an author fair in her State when we were 18--she ended up kissing me rather unexpectedly--and now she's my fiancee.

0|1
    0|0
  • She was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar.

1|1
    0|0
  • I met her online, and despite the stigma associated with it, she is one of the most incredible women I've met.

2|1
    0|0
  • Through a friend. She didn't like me so much at first. ;)

3|1
    0|0
  • It was on the Phone

0|0
    0|0
  • Well became really really really close fridnds and it ended up becomibg a realtionship lol all my friends that i was friendzoned but i got out boys its not impossible to break out cause i did. Just gotta be that guy she's always wanted of needs. 😉

3|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes