GF still talks to guy who sexually assaulted her and I don't know how to take it?

In short, my gf was sexually assaulted by an old high
schoo friendl. This attack happened last summer (we only met and started dating this December). What complicates things is that she still talks to the guy who assaulted her and I'm not sure how to feel about that. She opened up to me about it a couple of weeks ago. The assault happened while swimming at a public beach. They were in the water and he came onto her and she tried to push him off of her but he kept being aggressive to the point he forced his fingers inside of her. She told me she was vocal in trying to push him off of her and deterring him from touching her but ultimately he disregarded her.

What scares me is that this happened in public where people could have seen. What if next time they are someplace less public. What if he decides to do the same thing but next time he's even more aggressive and forceful and she isn't able to deter him?

He also did this in spite of knowing she had a live in boyfriend of almost a couple of years at the time. What kind of friend would decide to utterly disrespect someones relationship like that? This guy identifies as gay and she's told me that he tells her things like "you're the only girl I could ever be with. I'd be straight for you." It scares me to think of what lengths he'd go to have her if he ever got desperate (like that day at the beach).

Frankly, I don't understand why she still contacts him. She tells me that he hasn't done anything to harm her since the incident and that he was a good friend (prior to) but that rationalization scares me. They've only just now started talking again so he hasn't been around to hurt her, and even before, they often were around others when they hung out so I worry would this sort of thing have happened sooner had he the opportunity (were they alone and not with others).

I know I can't protect her from all of the bad people, but I feel this is a friendship I should discourage her from. Anyone have advice for me?
2
2