Can I start a relationship with the mutual understanding that the guy will walk away when he becomes unhappy, rather than try to force change?

What I struggle with most is the way people you get in relationships with feel ownership over you, your body, all of your time and your decisions.

My last serious boyfriend was extremely critical and demanding. He put me down all the time for not making the right meal, gaining 12 lbs, not wearing the right clothes, having to work when he didn't want me to. Etc.

I just don't want all that resentment in my life. Is there a way to start a relationship with the understanding that if the guy decides he doesn't like my looks, weight, pastimes, interests... He can just break up with me and I'll understand?
3
1