It bothers me that my girlfriend keeps talking to this guy. Do I have the right to be upset?

My girlfriend of one year and five months talks to this guy who she considers her best friend. The thing is they used to like each other before she ever met me and even though my girlfriend and I are together he keeps being persistent trying to get at my girl. He would call her babe, sends kissy faces, send her roses and gifts, she always goes to him when my girlfriend and i are arguing, he would try to break us apart by making rumors and he even tried to kiss her, actually he did kiss her but my girlfriend says he kissed her on the side of lip. All of this happened when we were together. I told her that it bothers me countless times and she has told me she promised me to stop talking to him and also says "fuck him I only want you" which does make me feel better; but days later she ends up talking to him again. She has promised me more than 5 times about stopping to talk to him. She told me today she is going to his graduation. I told her that I can go with her but she said that would be awkward. I told her that it bothered me again that she still talks to him and that she is going to his graduation. She didn't say anything she just said she was going to sleep. I don't get why she still talks to him when he doesn't respect our relationship at all. I don't want to be controlling I just want her to be in my shoes because I don't talk to a single girl because I know it would make my girlfriend jealous. I just don't know what to do. Do I have the right to be upset or am I just overreacting things here?
4
1