What do you call your SO's parents?

And what do they call yours? By their first name? "Mom" and "Dad"?

After 3 years I still have no idea what to call my boyfriend's parents. I feel like using their names are too formal and calling them "mom" and "dad" seems odd. My boyfriend calls my parents that though, but they're much more laid back than his parents.

So what do you call your SO's parents?
  • Mom/Dad
    Vote A
  • First names
    Vote B
  • Mr/Mrs _____
    Vote C
  • Other
    Vote D
  • Results
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't call them anything... I don't call them 'Mr./Mrs. ___' because last I heard, in China the females keep their maiden name in whole even after marriage. I don't know his mom's maiden name plus that sounds a bit overly formal of a way to refer to people at whose house I've spent the night several times, went to family dinners, etc..

I don't call them mom or dad because that's just weird. We're not married or anything.. that would be a bit overly casual in my opinion. Likewise with calling them by their first name. Many times they've told me their first name so that I could use it as have my boyfriend but I've always felt super weird referring to people, be they profs or friend's/boyfriend's parents by their first-name. A bit too buddy-buddy in my eyes. Maybe that's just too different from how I was raised but yeah..

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Same as you you azure girl, same as you.. no fucking clue lmao. Also in a 3y6m relationship.. Would you believe me if I tell you that I've never called them by their name nor anything else of the above? HAhahhahha Dunno why I just didn't have the chance to do so although I talk with her parents and they're really nice people, nothing wrong with them, I just find it awkward and weird to call them by their name, or even Mom/Dad... I just start a conversation right away, I don't say "hey (name) ..." I'm weird I now but they didn't complain about it so no issues with this.. If they had complains about it I would've known by now cause they're pretty open when talking to me.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I think if i call them Mom/Dad it sounds like a flattery.
    I have only one mom and dad

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it is perfectly fine to call them Mr A and Mrs A or Mrs B. If you want some informailty, call them Aumty and Uncle. If you really want to make that whole family feel like you are very close and possibly married in future, no harm calling them mom n dad.

1|0
    0|0
    • I think the part about it that makes it awkward for me is for the longest time they didn't really like me :/ but now I guess they realized I'm not going anywhere so they're nice to me and including me in stuff now. It's so odd. Plus I never got formally introduced to them, I just kind of picked up their names by listening to them talk to one another.

• Show All
    • Oh... by the way... I did not mean to say you are fake, or being fake. Wrong choice of word. I meant, "try to sound as sincere as you really are when you bring that up'.

• You're fine! :) I may have to speak to them about this. I know the only times I've ever addressed them was over the phone in the beginning of our relationship and I just called them mr and Mrs. ___. But given the time my boyfriend and I have been together I feel a more familiar term would be nice.

• Depends on how formal they are in our economical social caste system they are. I call one informal as hell, and the other I use the first name for. You got to read them, if confused, just ask them what they want to be called. If they respond, "call me Dr. Feelsgood," then maybe you should just avoid them ;-)

1|0
    0|0
  • Usually I call them by their first name if they introduce themselves as that.

1|0
    0|0
  • The outlaws if not married
    If married the in-laws. MIL and DIL mother-in-law and Father-in-law.
    When my MIL is misbehaving I have many many other names for her but I choose not to share them.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't know, in my country we call them 'Ammi/ Uncle and Khalti/Aunty.
    So that's how I would call my future father and mother in law unless I don't get married to an Arab and in that case I would ask them how they want me to call them! :)

1|0
    0|0
  • I call my SO's dad George and his mom Mrs... But his mom is super shy and I feel awkward calling her Kathy. I've been with him 4.5 years mind you. He calls my mom Mom though

1|0
    0|0
  • I call her by her first name or I just don't say her name :P He doesn't call mine by anything since he doesn't talk to them, it's usually just 'your mother/father'.

1|0
    0|0
  • In HS I always referred to them as Mr and Mrs. ____
    But now older, I call my boyfriend parents by their first names.

1|0
    0|0
  • Bitch and bitchtress

1|0
    0|0
  • i call her mom mom and her dad by his first name

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't call my friends parents "mom and dad", after all, I'm not gay

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes