What do you call your SO's parents?

And what do they call yours? By their first name? "Mom" and "Dad"?

After 3 years I still have no idea what to call my boyfriend's parents. I feel like using their names are too formal and calling them "mom" and "dad" seems odd. My boyfriend calls my parents that though, but they're much more laid back than his parents.

So what do you call your SO's parents?
  • Mom/Dad
  • First names
  • Mr/Mrs _____
    Vote C
  • Other
    Vote D
  • Results
    Vote E

77

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't call them anything... I don't call them 'Mr./Mrs. ___' because last I heard, in China the females keep their maiden name in whole even after marriage. I don't know his mom's maiden name plus that sounds a bit overly formal of a way to refer to people at whose house I've spent the night several times, went to family dinners, etc..

I don't call them mom or dad because that's just weird. We're not married or anything.. that would be a bit overly casual in my opinion. Likewise with calling them by their first name. Many times they've told me their first name so that I could use it as have my boyfriend but I've always felt super weird referring to people, be they profs or friend's/boyfriend's parents by their first-name. A bit too buddy-buddy in my eyes. Maybe that's just too different from how I was raised but yeah..

Most Helpful Guy

• Same as you you azure girl, same as you.. no fucking clue lmao. Also in a 3y6m relationship.. Would you believe me if I tell you that I've never called them by their name nor anything else of the above? HAhahhahha Dunno why I just didn't have the chance to do so although I talk with her parents and they're really nice people, nothing wrong with them, I just find it awkward and weird to call them by their name, or even Mom/Dad... I just start a conversation right away, I don't say "hey (name) ..." I'm weird I now but they didn't complain about it so no issues with this.. If they had complains about it I would've known by now cause they're pretty open when talking to me.