Would you dump the girl/guy you love because your parents or family don't like him/her?

Would you dump the girl/guy you love because your parents or family don't like him/her?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|1

Most Helpful Guy

• The way I see it is that you can regret listening to your parents for the rest of your life or not listening to them and following your heart for the rest of your life.

The most bitter older people I've ever met were always those who didn't follow their heart. I never met an old man who proclaimed, "You know what? I'm really glad I didn't pursue that girl I was madly in love with in my youth!"

Instead I know many of the opposite type. However foolish, there's few I see as being more potentially bitter than those who deprived themselves of their biggest dreams and hopes in response to the advice of a friend or even family member.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No, because all though I do respect somewhat of what my friends and family think, at the end of the day I'll be potentially spending the rest of my life with that person who makes me truly happy. My friends/family aren't going to be my partner

4|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I'm super close to my mom so if she didn't feel a guy was right for me then I'd probably take what she has to say into great consideration but ultimately the final decision will always be in my hands. With that said, if parents are concerned they generally are cause they have your best interests at heart. They might see things that you don't.

2|0
    0|0
  • If I was in love with a girl and learned that my family disapproved, I would look for a way to harmonize the relationship and my family. However, I have lived through a marriage in which my family disapproved of my wife and I know how awkward and difficult that was for me. Therefore, I tend to introduce women to my family early in a relationship. If I sensed that my family disapproved of a lady, I would probably be dissuaded from pursuing a relationship with her.

It is easy to stubbornly insist that "I have the right to fall in love with whoever I want; my family can go screw themselves!" but I have lived through that experience, and experience is a very efficient teacher.

0|0
    0|0
  • No , he is my choice.
    I am going to live with him not my parents.
    My family have to respect my decision ❗

0|0
    0|0
  • My almost mother in law has issues with me because I'm "stealing" her son away from her... it's rather annoying. She's desperately trying to hold on to him when he's a grown man who is ready to fly out of the coop.

I'm glad he doesn't listen to her because she tries to twist everything around to suit her. She convinced him to stay at home with her (I live with him and we live in her house) rather than us moving out into an apartment on our own... that's how badly she wants him to stay and he wants to appease her. I quit my job to do schooling so now moving out is an impossibility on just his part time income, but as soon as I'm finished we are moving out into our own apartment or I'm leaving him. That's what I told him and he's like "thank god"

He doesn't like to live here, either. It's a lot of annoying obligations and she drives me crazy. She always expects us to drop whatever we're doing and do whatever she wants at a seconds notice. She shouts for him to come do stuff for her from across the house and gets angry when he doesn't come running to her (like a dog would). It's caused a lot of fights between us because I really don't like living here but we have to for now.

I like her perfectly fine, and normally she's really nice. She's never mean to me, but the things she does and says really annoys me sometimes (okay, most of the time).

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is that you have to judge why your family doesn't like the person. If it's because of their own selfish reasons, you shouldn't listen to them. If it's because they think he's a piece of crap who is rude to you, you probably should take what they say into consideration. If they just think he/she's boring or not good enough, that's none of their business and you should be with him/her if you want to!

0|0
    0|0
    • Also, I'd like to add, that as a teenager you should listen to what your parents say! They know more than you do about those kinds of things and can spot trouble a mile away while you're just starting to figure it out. But once you graduate and enter adulthood you should take their opinion with a grain of salt and analyze why they think the way they do.

• Yes, because my parents see trouble before i see it in someone. When you're blinded by lust, love or whatever you call it.. You won't notice the wrongs and flaws in someone till something bad happens and you can see clearly now the rain is gone.

Many people may say: "thats my bf/gf i can do whatever i want."
    Yea thats when ignorance comes into play and you wonder why we have so many people on here sobbing about an ex- they wish they never dated.

1|4
    2|1
  • My family can go fuck themselves if they didn't like the guy I'm with. He's the greatest thing to ever happen to me. Along with he helps me get through the worst of times with my mental disorder. So like I said They can go fuck themselves because no way in hell I would dump him because of what they think.

2|3
    0|0
  • No but to be honest I probably should because in the long run I don't think the relationship would go anywhere. Me and my family are very close and while I wouldn't want it to it would most likely plant seeds in my head and I would most likely self-sabotage the relationship.

3|2
    1|0
  • Not immediately, but I would consider not including them in my future. I've seen first-hand what happens when families don't approve of a significant other, and it has always turned out badly. I'm very close with my family; they are loving and supportive and have always been there for me. Besides, usually those on the outside see more than the person in the relationship; they see the faults and negative aspects that someone in love may overlook. And I'm not talking the normals faults people have; I'm talking about the actual character flaws that show a person is not good for us. If my family truly doesn't like who I am dating, I will consider their opinions and try to make a decision based on that. I know they would never do anything to spite me or hurt me, and have only my best intentions at heart. Thus, if they truly believe someone isn't fit for me, I would be more inclined to consider their reasoning. I'd make my choice in the end, but most likely I'd side with my family. Funnily enough, anytime they have disliked a person that someone in our family was dating, and our relative married that disliked person, the marriage never turned out well, often due to the faults of the disliked individual. So... got to go by precedents...

0|1
    0|0
  • Well I have always been single and I have decided to stay single till forever so, I'll never really have a woman in my life so the situation won't apply to me.

However hypothetically and for the purpose of answering your question, just assuming if I had the woman of my dreams, then yes I'll introduce her to my parents/family, but then I don't really need their approval, I am not looking for their consent hence I don't care if they will like her or if they won't like her ( woman of my dreams). What is important what I want and what I think. Let them have their problems and not like her, that's their choice, that's not going to affect me at all.

Hence hypothetically speaking I'll never leave the woman I love ( hypothetical) just because my parents don't like her, if the woman loves me and wants to be with me then I won't care about anything else, I won't care about any other factor.

If my parents don't want to talk to me, let them not talk to me, if they want to disown me, let them disown me but irrespective to what it may be, I'll do what I believe is right. I am going to live my life, irrespective to what it may be.

However yes, in one situation I'll leave the woman I love ( hypothetical) that is if the woman doesn't want to be with me, for whatever reasons, either due to parental/family pressure or other reasons, I don't care what her reasons would be in that case I'll let her go, there is no point in being with a woman who doesn't want to be with me and who doesn't value me. Only in that case I'll leave her. I will not waste my time in being with such a woman who doesn't want to be with me!!.

For me time is precious and I won't waste my time.

Yes, these were only for explanation purpose, it's an imaginary, hypothetical situation. Hope it was clear and that you understood.

0|0
    0|0
    • You do know this is a hypothetical, right?

• @WhaChaChaKing. Means? I said the situation about me having the woman of my dreams in my life is hypothetical so, but if that happens ( let's say) then whatever I have said above is true, my reaction to that situation will be true, that is not hypothetical.

Hence the situation may be hypothetical but not my actions, reactions to that situation.

• @WhaChaChaKing. Hence I'll choose the one I love and not my parents, it's written very clearly above.

• Fuck no. My parents will never have a say in who I can or can't date.

9|5
    1|5
  • It would have to truly depend on the situation. My mom tends to like any guy I date, so that's not an issue. I'm not breaking up with someone I love because someone else doesn't like him. I need some real logical reasoning to see where they're coming from. Not everyone will like who I date, so tough nuggets.

0|0
    0|0
  • I learned to keep my family and any hint of my love life separate from my family long ago. I don't talk to them about any stuff.

That being said, if I did have someone they didn't approve of, I really don't care tbh. That is their issue, and until I myself don't like the girl, I will keep on dating them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Religious girls do it all the time.

My step father is happy if I get somebody. My mother has shown an extremely judgmental side to her, and has been accurate in calling out my brother's choices.

She and I see things differently and have different values, so her perspective helps but isn't everything. The answer is no, and maybe.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I wouldn't. And I haven't in the past. My first boyfriend was hated by my friends and family. And I wish I had seen the light.
    That being said it felt right to me so that was the right thing to do. Everything happens for a reason.

I'm lucky. My new boyfriend is loved by everyone. But even if he wasn't, he had helped me through everything, I couldn't leave him because of my parents. He knows me better than they do.

1|1
    0|0
  • If I loved that person? no, I wouldn't. If I wasn't yet sure of my feelings, I would listen to them because they know me and proved to be right in the past.
    At first, my brother and dad wasn't that sure of my boyfriend but he proved them he was good for me and now they get along with him great.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends. If I'm in love with them but they abuse me some how and so my family doesn't like them, I'd end it because I'd know it's for the best.
    But if they didn't like them for some stupid reason like skin colour (which they wouldn't say anyway) I'd tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

0|2
    0|0
  • Not at all.. However depends on your age, your religion and upbringing, all these factors can tear true love apart but if your parents are at loggerheads with your SO, it takes a longerrrrr time for them to adjust, they need reassurance and trust from you and your partner... Patience and open communication is what wins at the end of the day...

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd probably reconsider the relationship. If there's a legitimate reason as to why they don't like my partner, which I am somehow unable to detect because I am deeply madly in love and virtually blind, I might listen to them but if their reason is stupid to me then I'll probably choose him over my family.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, I went through that and I made as if I would do what they said but at the end I secretly talked with him, it was a LDR, at the end mom knew, and she understood my decision but eventually we broke up from some other reasons... Besides my parents have always told be that they won't obligate me to marry someone I don't want so I will always remind them of that! 😌 BUT by the way, your parents and family agreeing is DEFINITELY a big deal

0|0
    0|0
  • Certainly not. I would do everything to stay with my partner even if my parents, and friends do not accept it. It's my life after all, if I love him then I'll do anything to make it work despite what other people think.

0|0
    0|0
  • You should take what your family says in consideration because if something bad happens they will be in your face with some "i told you so"
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...3bc6112302.gif
    But I would not dump her, just take a step back and think.

0|0
    0|0
  • um.. NO.
    I wouldn't cuz my parents can't decide whether i love him or not for me. Yes, their decision is important but they can't make the choices in my relationship.
    Plus, the guys I like or would date my parents would love anyways so thats hard to imagine

0|0
    0|0
  • No... But I would listen to what they had to say. They are usually very perceptive, but so am I so the reason someone I date might not be to their taste would probably have something to do with his manner of dress or how hard working he is more than anything else... But then again - I set the same standards for the ones I date as they are for me - no more no less... =)
    So probably not gonna happen...

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on why they don't like him. If they have valid reasons, I would do some serious thinking. But knowing my mom, she doesn't need a valid reason, and knowing my dad, his reason would be based on skin color or socioeconomic background. So yeah considering how my parents are, I wouldn't put much stock in their opinion.

0|1
    0|0
  • No - although there might be a valid reason for them feeling that way, and if that's the case I should think again.

(Not that "valid reasons" ever really play a part in my feelings for someone, but that's another can of worms!)

1|0
    0|0
  • I just broke up cause my ex-girlfriend's mom was way too crazy annoying for me ~

I put up with it a lot, but since things were not getting better we came to the mutual agreement that it would be easier to break up, since we are both young.

And honestly I don't regret the choice, cause I would have had to put up with that for the rest of my life.

But I would not break up with her unless we both agree that it's better that way.

0|0
    0|0
  • depends on what they find to be a put off about her.

I respect their opinion and we get along well, but if she's rude to my family for no reason then yes (of course I'd talk to her first).

Really it depends if its warranted or unwarranted.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how validt their reason and if my partner did anything to warrant their dislike.

I would never dump someone because my family disliked them if in general he made me happy and tried to make an effort with my family regardless. Its my life

0|0
    0|0
  • not solely because they didn't like her. i'd consider the reasons they don't like her but ultimately i'll only take their opinions into consideration. if i don't feel their opinions are legitimate enough to break up with someone i'm not going to

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on how honest and loving your family has been to you in the past. Are they productive, supportive, and kind people of their word? You could be blinded by love bug and other things and they could be the only voice of logic willing to tell you the truth, it depends on their reasons, if they sound valid and they aren't jerry springer type of allegations (or maybe they actually are) you should listen. It depends on their character and your character.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm very close with my family; my sister is my best friend in the entire world and knows me better than anyone else. I'd most likely give her opinion the most weight if asking for thoughts on a guy I'm dating. If she didn't like him, what I did with that would depend on the reason (s) why.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends why the family doesn't like them. If he was a total douche or sold drugs I could see why. Sometimes people can see things you can't. But if they don't like them because of the way they look or something minor like that and I really liked them, I would keep dating them. It's my life not theirs.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. My life not theirs. I control my life and the decisions I make. If they don't like it, too bad. I respect their opinion, but it will not change my mind on how I feel about my SO.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. My parents and my family hate my partner. Doesn't mean that I'm going to break up with him - what matters is that I love him and he treats me well and as long as that happens, then I'll stay with him.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you love her/him never break up with them because of someone else's opinion.
    A lot of parents tend to be very protective of their kids and they'll never think anyone's good enough for their son/daughter.
    They chose who they wanted to be with now it's your turn.
    They'll get over it, my parents are the same way.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't give a shit if someone doesn't like him, unless their reasons are valid. It's MY boyfriend anyways.
    Happilly, it never happened so I probably have good taste in guys and a cool mum. *puts sunglasses on*

0|0
    0|0
  • My mother hates everything with a heartbeat lol if I had to wait for her to like a boy I'd be single forever. Dad is easy to please so his opinion is a little more important but not a deal breaker. After all it's still my life.

0|0
    0|0
  • BAck when I was a teenager I just accepted when a girl's family said she had to have a boyfriend from the same ethnic group. But i would fight that now...

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I would. My happiness is my family, I wouldn't want to lose them over someone who is replaceable; plus, they must not like them for a REASON, that I might not be able to catch.

0|0
    1|0
  • No I ran away with mine and didn't care what my parents had to say.

4|0
    0|0
    • @AJJC2012. You are a brave woman!!. Excellent.

• How did that turn out for you, out of curiosity?
      Did your relationship work out?

• Depends on if they had a good reason or not. Considering that I've never had too many friends or close loved ones apart from my family given how much we constantly moved growing up, I am very close to my family and wouldn't want to alienate them.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on why they don't like him. My parents hated my ex boyfriend and tried to tell me how much of an ass he was. I didn't believe them, we broke up, and I realized that he really was a terrible person. My parents don't like my current boyfriend because they think I'm too pretty for him, even though he's wonderful to me. There's no real reason not to like him, so I wouldn't leave him because of it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I could careless what my parents decide is right for me. I consider those that talk for me dead. Because I can think on my own.

And if my girlfriend's parents or brother don't like it, then they can just watch.

0|0
    0|0
  • You should!. Because if the relationship becomes serious, you both will be in for a lot of problems and fights further down the road. P. s. Stay away from mamas boys!

0|0
    0|0
  • No, because I know best what makes me happy and is good for me. My mom's parents didn't like my dad and my dad's parents didn't like my mom, but they've been happily married for almost 30 years now, so...

0|0
    0|0
  • I hope I wouldn't date anyone so bad as to be hated by my family. I value their judgment-they know when something is wrong. Reguardless, it's ultimately my decision who I date

0|0
    0|0
  • I voted no. Simply because family doesn't really know who you really are. However there is no harm to listen for what they say because sometimes it's an eye opener.

1|0
    1|0
  • I would probably see him less because my family are a big part of my life but I would never dump someone if they didn't approve. 😉

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I trust my mom's instincts most of all. So far, she hasn't approved of one of my past boyfriends (I've had two). The one that she has approved of is now a really good friend of mine.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would never. It isn't up to them to decide who I'm with. Of course I would take their opinion in consideration but I am not letting my family decide whether or not I can be with the guy I love.

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes