How do you tell the difference when a guy is just your friend and when he likes you?

Long story short; We joke a lot, he sits next to me when he can, he helps me whenever I need it, but a lot of that is just what a friend would do. The only indication I really have is that my gut is telling me he likes me. And thats it. He hasn't really asked me to hang out outside of class, just once to study. (He seemed nervous at the time.) My friends all said thats a good sign, but I still dont want to read into it too much.

510

Most Helpful Guy

• It's pretty simple: if he's giving you attention or spending time with you, he wants to have sex with you. There's no such thing as a single guy being "just friends" with an attractive girl (or, at least, it's so incredibly rare that you can safely assume that it never happens).

Now, sometimes they want a relationship with you and have feelings for you - which obviously still means they want sex too, but they also want the other stuff. That's quite a bit more rare than just wanting sex, though, so you really have to look at his behavior over a period of time - or just ask him outright what his interest is.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well are you friends with him? Don't get into a relationship with a random guy you know nothing about. If he doesn't try to talk to you about it then it's best to leave it alone, unless you personally want to try and get to see if dating is possible. Overall, you can just sense it. Hanging out with you isn't enough to see if he likes you. Attraction is just attraction. Doesn't mean he wants to date you. Maybe he doesn't feel ready for that. He could be just a shy person overall. Most shy people are just shy period around the opposite sex. The only way to truly know is unless he is doing ALL of that AND is spending a lot of quality time with you that often isn't normal. As well as trying to get personal. If he isn't trying to get personal, then it's just attraction and a bit of insecurity and shyness. Nothing more.

• Yes you are right actually. I think it is just attraction but thats good enough for me right now, I dont want to rush into anything I just want to make sure he is at least attracted and see if we can build from that as we become better friends. We have only known each other a few months so thats also another reason I dont want to rush. Also he's not like "shy around everyone" its more like he chooses not to talk to everyone. When im with friends he doesn't pay any attention to him and one of them told me he's like those "brooding" type of guys.

• What do you think are some good signs? And yeah I will try to do that

• You can't hide behind signs. Talk to him. Ask him. Don't be afraid to be assertive about this. This is what serious relationships are about. If he's hinting, that are signs that he is not yet mature enough to handle serious dating. Dating is about intentions. You have to make sure this is something both of you would like to pursue in the future. Anybody can change their mind. Like I said. If he is not asking you personal questions, and is avoiding you basically, then more and likely he is still trying to figure himself out.

What Guys Said 9

• If he's always nervous around you and asks about if you're interested in other guys, then that's how you tell. Just see if he does those things. Also, I've found that if I feel in my gut like someone likes me, usually they do, but it may just be sexual attraction, it doesn't mean that they want a relationship.

• Way he talks to you

• Can you elaborate

• Yeah I do actually

• Interesting

• hard to say, friends tend to be playful for fun.

• Unless you break ice by asking him out for coffee you will never know if he would like you more than just a friend.

• ask him

• yo its really hot when the girl makes the first move
    just ask him out, see what happens

• i can't unfortunately say for certain if he does or doesn't like you in that way, all i can tell you is that he might just be to shy to ask or waiting to see if he still likes you in that way after a time, if it is the first one if you truly want to know you have to ask him yourself, i in a similar situation would appreciate you asking me this, but I'm not like most guys nor do i have enough knowledge about your friend to say he will appreciate it, sorry if it wasn't very helpful.

• No, that is helpful. Do you mind if I ask why you dont confront them yourself? Instead of waiting for them to ask you? (I take it thats what you meant?)

• I do, if there is a girl I like, i wait about a month to make sure the feelings stick, and if they do I ask her out because I'm not afraid of rejection, but a lot of guys are, that's why you'll have to decide if you want to know, and ask him about it if you do.

• There is almost no guy who would be friends with a girl and not have feelings for her

• My only 2 other male friends were gay (or presumably gay). But I never thought of it like that.

• Straight guys will have feeling for you

• If a guy initiates making time for you (texting first, hanging out, calling, etc.) he likes you. We do not initiate time for girls we are not sexually interested in. For example... no straight guy wakes up and texts the ugly fat girl "good morning :)"

• No he does but its like stupid stuff. Actually now that i think about it when he does its always about school, like: hey have you done the hw? Are you ready for the test? When is this due?"

What Girls Said 4

• I need a guy to be upfront about any romantic interest he has in me. If he isn't direct by telling me how he feels then I'll never know

If he's friendly or flirty I'll just assume he has a friendly flirty personality, and that's how he is with ALL girls

• He's shy and doesn't talk to anyone of my friends when im with them

• Aww that's sweet. He'll feel so good inside. Guys enjoy helping girls they like. I hope it works out for you both. I'm sure it will. You both sound cute lol

• haha thank you i hope it does

• I struggle reading emotions, especially in relationships. Try to pick up on physical cues and eye contact.

• i think you should try and ask him!

• It's hard to say but if you think he does just ask him that the best way to know