Homosexuality is not a mental illness, why do so many ignorant people still believe that?

I mean its 2017 its becoming quite ridiculous now

1359

Most Helpful Guy

• What makes you think that homosexuality is not a mental illness?

There is a clear definition on what is normal and normal behavior in the human population. Two eyes, two arms, two legs, one head... all normal. When a person is born with one eye, one arm, no legs... etc... this is not normal and we call it a physical disability.

This applies just as much to the mental state of a person, and whom they are sexually attracted to. Normal is being heterosexual. Any deviation from that is just a variant of the same mental illness where one has an odd attraction to something. Some people (pedophiles) are attracted to little children and infants. That's a mental illness. Some people are attracted to inanimate objects like cars. That's a mental illness. Some people are attracted to other species of animals, and go about sodomizing cats, dogs, goats, chickens. That's a mental illness. Some people are attracted to the same sex. That's a mental illness.

This behavior is not normal, but it is natural in the sense that it is naturally occurring. Even if your genes are perfectly normal, the body does not always develop properly. Just as the body can develop physical abnormalities and deformations, so too can specific body parts like the brain, or hormone secreting organs and glands develop abnormally. When the brain develops abnormally, we see problems like schizophrenia, bipolar syndrome, autism, and confusion over sexual attraction (i. e., pedophilia, homosexuality, etc).

When we look at someone with Down's Syndrome, most people can tell something is wrong by the traits commonly seen with Downs Syndrome people. Enlarged head, droopy eyes, distorted facial structure.

When we look at people who are homosexual, their mannerism, speech etc... makes them easy to identify. Clearly, there are certain traits among many homosexuals that make them easy to identify. This is called a syndrome, a group of symptoms that consistently occur together or a condition characterized by a set of associated symptoms.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Because that's what they want to believe. Plus, majority of people who think that way are the older generations who grew up being taught that it is a mental illness. So it's difficult for them to suddenly change their opinion. But just because they have this belief, doesn't mean they're a terrible person and should be cut out of your life. They can still be supportive and loving of you, even if they don't agree with homosexuality. :) I have a friend who is very Christian and homophobic. She dislikes homosexuality, and sees it as a sin. But can also understand that it's not her place to control or preach to others. I'm bisexual, and we're friends :) We have a little silent pact, where I don't talk about my homosexuality, and she won't preach about Jesus to me lol~ But it's also no one else's business to force others to believe what another believes. So long as they aren't hurting you (verbally, emotionally, or physically), then I don't see a reason to worry about it. :) Everyone will always have their own opinions, and we can't always change that. So it's better to learn how to get along together, rather than constantly butt heads.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Finally common sense entered the opinions section

• @CTaiger Good point. :) But also people who grew up that way truly do think it's a mental illness. But there's many things that are considered mental illnesses that don't always get treated, or that people don't believe need to be treated. So thinking of it as a mental illness, from their point of view, doesn't always mean they want you to be "fixed". They may want it internally, but if they see you aren't suffering, then there's no reason for it.

• ✌✌✌✌✌