Homosexuality is not a mental illness, why do so many ignorant people still believe that?

I mean its 2017 its becoming quite ridiculous now

1359

Most Helpful Guy

• What makes you think that homosexuality is not a mental illness?

There is a clear definition on what is normal and normal behavior in the human population. Two eyes, two arms, two legs, one head... all normal. When a person is born with one eye, one arm, no legs... etc... this is not normal and we call it a physical disability.

This applies just as much to the mental state of a person, and whom they are sexually attracted to. Normal is being heterosexual. Any deviation from that is just a variant of the same mental illness where one has an odd attraction to something. Some people (pedophiles) are attracted to little children and infants. That's a mental illness. Some people are attracted to inanimate objects like cars. That's a mental illness. Some people are attracted to other species of animals, and go about sodomizing cats, dogs, goats, chickens. That's a mental illness. Some people are attracted to the same sex. That's a mental illness.

This behavior is not normal, but it is natural in the sense that it is naturally occurring. Even if your genes are perfectly normal, the body does not always develop properly. Just as the body can develop physical abnormalities and deformations, so too can specific body parts like the brain, or hormone secreting organs and glands develop abnormally. When the brain develops abnormally, we see problems like schizophrenia, bipolar syndrome, autism, and confusion over sexual attraction (i. e., pedophilia, homosexuality, etc).

When we look at someone with Down's Syndrome, most people can tell something is wrong by the traits commonly seen with Downs Syndrome people. Enlarged head, droopy eyes, distorted facial structure.

When we look at people who are homosexual, their mannerism, speech etc... makes them easy to identify. Clearly, there are certain traits among many homosexuals that make them easy to identify. This is called a syndrome, a group of symptoms that consistently occur together or a condition characterized by a set of associated symptoms.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because that's what they want to believe. Plus, majority of people who think that way are the older generations who grew up being taught that it is a mental illness. So it's difficult for them to suddenly change their opinion. But just because they have this belief, doesn't mean they're a terrible person and should be cut out of your life. They can still be supportive and loving of you, even if they don't agree with homosexuality. :) I have a friend who is very Christian and homophobic. She dislikes homosexuality, and sees it as a sin. But can also understand that it's not her place to control or preach to others. I'm bisexual, and we're friends :) We have a little silent pact, where I don't talk about my homosexuality, and she won't preach about Jesus to me lol~ But it's also no one else's business to force others to believe what another believes. So long as they aren't hurting you (verbally, emotionally, or physically), then I don't see a reason to worry about it. :) Everyone will always have their own opinions, and we can't always change that. So it's better to learn how to get along together, rather than constantly butt heads.

• Finally common sense entered the opinions section

• @CTaiger Good point. :) But also people who grew up that way truly do think it's a mental illness. But there's many things that are considered mental illnesses that don't always get treated, or that people don't believe need to be treated. So thinking of it as a mental illness, from their point of view, doesn't always mean they want you to be "fixed". They may want it internally, but if they see you aren't suffering, then there's no reason for it.

• ✌✌✌✌✌

What Guys Said 58

• Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT).

It has been defined as contempt, prejudice, aversion, hatred or antipathy, may be based on irrational fear, and is often related to religious beliefs.

Negative attitudes toward identifiable LGBT groups have similar yet specific names: lesbophobia is the intersection of homophobia and sexism directed against lesbians, biphobia targets bisexuality and bisexual people, and transphobia targets transgender and transsexual people and gender variance or gender role nonconformity.

Disapproval of homosexuality and of gay people is not evenly distributed throughout society, but is more or less pronounced according to age, ethnicity, geographic location, race, sex, social class, education, partisan identification and religious status.

I strongly believe that #weakness is what brings ignorance, cheapness, racism, #homophobia, desperation, cruelty, brutality, all these things that will keep a society chained to the ground, one foot nailed to the floor.

• I'm more confused how in 2017 some people believe that Gender Dysphoria is not a mental disorder, when it's classified as such from the DSM. It only changed from Gender Identity Disorder to Gender Dysphoria, because there were advocates who lobbied for this change for years so as to remove the stigma that exists around "disorder" when regarding transgender.

So it's a disorder, they just don't want you to call it one because of the social stigma that comes along with disorders. Which is odd because we can comfortably accept anxiety and depression as serious disorders, but we're expected to not also consider gender Dysphoria a disorder when it's arguably more severe a case.

• Dude, I think I've explained this to you already. Gender dysphoria ain't the same thing as being transgender, but rather something being transgender can sometimes cause.

Basically, neither homosexuality nor being transgender are disorders or illnesses, as neither cause distress or cause major issues with social functioning.

• @cipher42

" I assumed you were talking about transgender people in general"

You were wrong. Move along now. Clearly you're not emotionally together to handle this right now.

• Sweetie, I explained why my assumption was what is was. I'm so sorry for assuming that your response was actually relevant to the question asked, my mistake. I guess from now on I'll remember that you're inclined towards giving nom sequitorial nonsense responses.

• ''It's the current year!'' Lol

Seriously though it technically is, whether you think it's right or wrong is irrelevant. It's a psychological abnormality that inhibits your ability to function as a normal human would function - with a sex drive that directs you towards reproduction. I think it can absolutely be defined as a mental disorder.

There's nothing wrong with Tourette's Syndrome and it's a mental illness, so I won't give special treatment to homosexuality solely because our culture puts it on a pedestal.

• That's not how mental illnesses are defined though. To be a mental illness, the condition has to cause significant distress, which homosexuality doesn't. So no, it absolutely cannot be defined as a mental disorder.

• You're taking this way too personally. Why do you care so much whether it fits the textbook definition or not? It doesn't change what it is or whether it's right or wrong, or anything. It literally changes nothing

• Lol no I'm not. Sorry u don't like the way I talk, but it's just how I talk, nothin to do with you.

Same to you then. Why do you care so much? You're the one contradicting the experts after all, seems to me the one insisting the scientific experts are wrong cares more than the one backing science. That said, I do actually think it matters, since something being a mental illness puts negative stigma on it, and makes it out to be something that should be "fixed"

• You shouldn't care what others are thinking they won't change.

You are you.
    They search for an easy life and you are searching for an easy life.
    A little thought experiment.

In 500 Years all humans are created artificially in a lab that's just normal.
    So what would people think about sex and getting baby's the normal way.
    SEX would be just for fun because the natural way to get baby's is way to risky because off reasons.

So what do you think people would say.

Back to today
    What if your hetero and don't want kids is it okay to have sex because it's fun.
    And does it matter if your gay or not?
    Are you ill because you don't want kids?

Or your hetero and can't have kids you still have sex and adopt a kid does it matter here if your hetero or not?

And if it would be an illness would it be bad?

Or is someone mentality ill because he/she is hetero and it's just lucky coincidence that our nature needed it the last million years?

There is no mentally illness in a world who everybody has the same mental illness because it would be normal.

Easy thought if you live in a word in which everybody cuts of his left toe and you don't want to do it are u mentally I'll?

I could go on and on.

We are what we are and what we want to be because we are made to want to be like we want to be.

• You can live in fantasy land all you want but if people want babies, then it must be between men and women.

• That was not my point.

The question was is homosexuality a mental illness.
      Not is it possible to get babies without both genders?

Sexuality has nothing to do with human reproduction not in a direct way.

If your argument is it's an illnes because they can't have babies theb your the one living in a fantasy it's like saying.

Trees are made of plantmatter because fish are pissing in the ocean.

And you could get babies without men and it's probably not legal in most countrys but you could clone humans.

That wouldn't be a good argument. Their ill because they can't have babies.
      Because they could.

So try not to be so close minded, try understanding and try to have good morals who applie to everyone the same way and it doesn't matter what gender race believes sexuality they are or basketball team they like.

Welcome in the real world

• i think because it helps a lot of people feel justified in condemning homosexuality if they can say, "look it's a mental health issue".

if they accepted that it wasn't a mental health issue then they'd have to find some other excuse for being against it

• Oh yes, it is the current year, "The prophecy has been fulfilled!" great, now I will continue carrying on with my life.
    Turns out I'm supposed to say something pro-gay (I'm assuming from your stance on the issue) For me, as long as LGBTQRSTUV+ people don't mind me I won't mind them. Do I find homosexuality immoral? Yes, slightly, but again if I were to compare the morality of a serial killer as compared to a homo, I'd say the homo is more likely to be redeemed.

• I hate to say it but if people are allowed to be as insensitive as they want no matter how much you and I hate it. You are allowed to act in whichever ways you desire just as much as they are. There are no correct or incorrect ways of living within the limits of the law.

That being said, people are ignorant as hell and there is likely no way of educating those who are stuck in their ways. On the flip side, there isn't much they can do to get the gay out of homosexuals.

There will always be differing points of view and it will always be frustrating to the opposing side.

Sorry!

By the way, it is ridiculous. I agree...

• Sure people are allowed to be shitty, but why is that at all relevant? Assholes are still assholes, and we have just as much right (if not more) to call them out on their idiocy and to try to teach them better as they have to be idiots.

• Useless to you, meaningful to me. It may be cliche and a useless defense, but it's also true when people have good intentions and legitimately care about the direction humanity is headed. Unfortunately, most people only care about themselves.

Kids have no preconceived notions though. Bigots are set in their ways. Then they have kids and teach them to be little bigots.

Teach the younger generations tolerance. Wait for the old ideologies to die out. Problem solved? Nah, probably not.

• I find it useless because it can be applied to absolutely every position, as well as because no one is seriously questioning it. Again, saying "I think people shouldn't believe X" and "I think people shouldn't be allowed to think X" are incredibly different. "people have a right to their opinion" only refutes the second, not the first, and yet it is most commonly used (and is here being used) to refute the first.

Some bigots perhaps, but not all. Even bigots can learn. And even for those who can't, society refusing to accept their beliefs may still teach their children better.

• you're confusing two very different things

we accept homosexuality because it does nobody any harm. we dont judge gays lesbians (etc etc) because there is no reason to. they fit fine in today's society and, again, their existence harms noone

but its still a mental illness

• like calling homosexuality a mental illness

• That's not what a mental illness is though. Like if you wanna make up your own definition then sure, but that's pretty fucking stupid. Besides, it ain't even unnatural. It may not be as evolutionarily advantageous for the individual as Heterosexuality, but less advantageous variations are still natural. You wouldn't call ugliness unnatural, now would you?

• I don't think you have the professional authority to claim what it is or isn't.
    We don't know what causes alternate sexualities, but we know that they correlate with a higher occurrence of mental disorders and that they are linked to the way the brain functions.
    Humans clearly aren't designed to be homosexual from neither biological nor evolutionary standpoint, so it clearly is an irregularity of some sort.

I know it's 2017 and that liberal retardation is favored over facts, but it is becoming quite ridiculous now.

• Well, the people who do have that professional authority say it's not. So there ya go.

• You wrote it: "ignorant people"

• From an ecological perspective it's quite strange.

At the very least this type of sexual behavior is considered deviant; it represents a relatively small percentage of the population. The deviant behavior is ofcourse rational in the sense that it's occurrence serves a purpose. Deviance ensures a more specific population is actually contributing to the gene pool.

Now, it is not my place to determine the 'fitness' of individuals who display deviant behavior. I can only say objectively, that social institutions are in place which provide notable resistance against this type of deviance. You can live however you wish, I am simply stating my observations.

• homosexuality means an attraction to the opposite gender. Modern liberals would tell you that there are more genders than you can count so it's not a very accurate term any more if that's the case

• What does the year have anything to do with that discussion?

Anyway. The most recent studies imply that homosexuality is mostly environmental (aka NOT "you are born with it") - and that means it very well could be a mental illness.

• No, it could not very well be a mental illness, because regardless of whether it's environmental or not (you do realize mental illnesses can be genetic?) it doesn't fit the definition of mental illness.

• @cipher42

Well that's clearly a lie. You're telling me that people "act" gay because society tells them that's how gay people act?

Even when I was a kid in the 80's, I could tell when people were gay. Yes... the 80's. Before the time when people thought being gay was cool and trendy. Back then, homosexuals were severely ridiculed, and there was nobody who wanted to be openly gay. Regardless of whether they were openly gay or not, I could still tell them apart quite easily (and so could everyone else).

Not only that, I could also tell when people were gay from other cultures aside from Western society. So yes, they do have similar mannerisms and traits regardless of what part of the world they are from.

Society does not tell gays how to "act gay". That's just plain bullshit, and I'll bet you have nothing to show for that.

• @meowcow Yep. Just like jocks act like jocks because society tells them that's how jocks act. Have you never noticed how great the variations in typical behaviors between different cultures are? Are you legitimately that blind to reality?

You may think you know who's gay and who's not, but I highly doubt it. There are certain behavioral patterns that gay people tend to adopt, but plenty of LGBT people don't do the same, and to believe that you can identify all LGBT people by just their behavioral patterns is plainly arrogant and ignorant.

• I agree it's not a mental illness, I support the LGBT, but it's retarded to say "it's 2017, people should accept gays", what's next? "It's 2045, people should accept zoophiles"... "It's 2100, people should accept pedophiles".

The year we live in has nothing to do whether something is right or wrong.

• There were only 2 genders created! And are still existing in all species except humans!
    These homo things really freaks me out, but I act normal as it's their desires!
    But still it's like a malfunction of the nature system or dis-function of our body!

• And soon in 50-60. years people will start to interact sexual things with apes & other mammals!
      And some of them like u will be like come on it's 2067!!!😂😂

I see our horrible future...

• Well Canada has legalized oral sex with animals...

• Quite simply, because it defies natural law. The penis isn't anatomically designed or optimized to penetrate the anus, and the anus certainly isn't designed or optimized to be penetrated. This is why deadly diseases and STDs are so common in the sodomite community, and it's why they're always dying-off.

• People are stupid. Homosexuality was listed as a mental illness, but they removed it years ago. I will rather listen to a scientist than a dumb hillbilly in the backwoods of West Virginia.

I bet they're gay themselves

• Okay so some people still believe in this as there was false science to prove that it is a mental illness and since it's in history many ignorant people will believe in it. Maybe the person was brought up on it or maybe they follow their religion a bit too hard.

Either way this is something that happens when people refuse to believe in the real facts that it's not a mental illness.

• Just because society doesn't currently recognize it as a mental illness, doesn't mean it isn't, or vice versa. By the way, are you a certified psychiatrist/psychologist? Even if you were one, you could be pushing the agenda of others that is not right.

• Especially if you were certified by the others whose agenda you are pushing.

• They are ignorant and they assume that just because homosexuality is uncommon then it's a mental illness. There are many more ignorant people who think asexuality is a mental illness, but should I care? We're not responsible for what people believe.

• Damn right 😎
      It's like the sheep effect. Anything different from them is considered unacceptable by the dependent mass.

• Some people would rather convince themselves that they are right than admit they were wrong.

• The phrase "It's 2017" is so annoying and overused.. Anyways I don't consider it a mental illness I don't know about others.

• I mean scientifically, it's been proved and studied that homosexuality is a mental disorder (not a disease tho). However, I'm straight and don't care what it really is. I have a girlfriend and we get kinky as fuck, lol. Also, I like to see her making out with another woman ;)

• I'd like to first say that I don't think homosexuals are bad people or any less than us, nor am I trying to argue that it is wrong but I do get annoyed when political correctness infects science.

By definition homosexuality is a mental illness. It inhibits the ability of sexual reproduction and rewires the brain to like the same sex if acted on resulting in harm (Ruptured sphincter).

• What exactly is your definition of mental illness, cause it sure as fuck ain't the one used by any reputable scientists. Homosexuality does not at all fit the ACTUAL definition of mental illness, as it does not cause significant distress. So please, do your damn research before making any more unfounded claims.

• Yes, you were. You attacked the way I made my argument rather than the argument itself. That's an ad hominem kiddo. Now, address the damn argument.

• Soo no counterargument then? What happened to "clearly refuting" my argument?

• Listen what gays do is their business, but it is a mental illness there is a reason why there is a man and woman and not man and man

• People are asshole and stupid assholes at thag

• God forbid you think two people of the same sex isn't supposed to be a natrual thing. It's an illness of some type, mental is what input my hat in for.

• Or... Mental disorders also exist in other biological entities?

I know, it's something hard to grasp with. If your attraction stops you from being a to reproduce then it's an illness and defect. Nature doesn't care about people's sensitivity, it's about sustaining life and producing more.

• Nature doesn't care about anything hon, it ain't a conscious entity. Nothing is "supposed to be" a natural thing. That said, there's plenty of reasons as to why homosexuality is both natural and evolutionarily advantageous.

• Well if it is a sexuality which doesn't make children it can be seen as ill by some.

• I always love the "current year" argument. Do you think the passage of time somehow negates Natural-Law? And homosexuality is indeed a mental-illness... Homo sapiens have evolved to behave in a certain and specific manner. Part of being Homo sapiens is attraction to the opposite-gender. This is what propagates the species. When the brain and endocrine-system of a homo Sapiens malfunctions, they sometimes experience attraction to members of the same gender. We call this a "mental-illness".

• Really how do you explain all the mammals, insects and birds that have shown homosexualitt

• @cipher42

Despite all your yammering, you still haven't said why you think homosexuality is a normal mental condition. Aside from saying "animals do it too, therefore it's normal", which I have proven to be false, you have provided nothing tangible to this conversation.

As I said, just because you see it in the animal world, does not mean it is normal. It may be NATURALLY OCCURRING in a large population... just as physical deformations are naturally occurring (nature doesn't get it right 100% of the time).

Also, calling homosexuality a mental illness does not equate to homophobia. It is simply the truth, and what science says. Nice try though. You're using failed arguments of social justice warriors with no backing in truth or science.

Just like other types of mental illness, if I were to determine that someone is a schizophrenic or bipolar, that does not equate to having a phobia of schizophrenics or bipolar people.

• @meowcow I didn't say it's normal. It's not normal. However, abnormality is not automatically a flaw. You wouldn't call red haired people disordered, would you? And being a super genius isn't a mental illness either, even though it's certainly not normal.

And nature NEVER gets it "right". There is no right. There's evolutionarily advantageous and evolutionarily disadvantageous if that's what you mean, but even there the fact is that variation is advantageous even if some of those variations themselves are disadvantageous (which homosexuality isn't even necessarily, not if you're looking at evolution beyond the purely individual level).

Calling homosexuality a mental illness is homophobic because homosexuality simply does not fill the requirements for being defined as a mental illness, because despite what you want to believe, abnormality alone does not make something a disorder or an illness.

• Lots of people are still stuck in WWII-era ways of thinking.

• More from Guys
    28

What Girls Said 12

• I dont believe homosexuality is a mental illness. But I believe people are entitled to their beliefs.

• Some people are just not smart enough to recognize that things that they don't like are still natural and have been observed in other animals apart from humans.

• Because they are ignorant sweetie you can't change that...

• Why even ask this, people who think like that are beyond learning how to be tolerant and respectful. You'll just fuel their fire.

• That true but its important to talk about it you can't ignore it just to avoid other options.

It's okay to talk about it and if someone thinks different that's okay but after the discussion we should agree on one thing it doesn't matter who is thinking what just everybody has his opinion that's good an we can move on.

• It was classified as a mental illness until the gay lobby called them bigots and spread the lie that they were born that way. What's natural about a man having sex with another man?

• You answered your own question. It's because they're ignorant.

• The year has nothing to do with it. Some people who disagree with you thinks you're ignorant for thinking it's not a mental illness.

I've had people who told me they were delivered from homosexuality and I was like really? Then when I introduced them to the opposite sex, they seemed to be clueless. What they were probably doing was suppressing their homosexuality, not changing it.

• No idea. I hate it when people say that. I'm lesbian, but I'm not mentally ill.

• Because they're stupid

• Homosexual is the worst mental disease and all gays should die in pain

• Don't think it is a mental illness, those people are just mentally unstable and confused.

• Because stupidity. There's nothing wrong with liking who you like.