Girls, What kind of support do you expect from your man during childbirth?

when your water breaks and you're about to drop another human outside your body what kind of physical, emotional and psychological support from your partner would you desire and expect?

detailed and thoughtful answers are appreciated

34

Most Helpful Girl

• Hold my hand maybe? But I don't want him to see me in so much pain.

What Girls Said 33

• Personally throughout pregnancy I don’t feel there is a whole lot for him to do... he doesn’t need to give up alcohol or the foods I can’t eat, nothing really needs to change in that aspect for us. In the last trimester as some things become a little more difficult depending on how big I am I may need a little help with physical aspects.
    For the birth I want him there for it all, including Lamaze classes and to make sure our birth plan is stuck to until or if medical advice deems it necessary to change. I need the back rubs and ice chips to birth his watermelon, and for him to tell over enthusiastic nurses to shut the fuck up when I want to punch them

• I know I will get downvotes.

I actually want to move somewhere safe, where my partner doesn't require to work long hours.

I'd definitely want to plan the child with my partner.

I'd definitely want us to further improve our nutrient intake. Especially mine.
    During pregnancy I'd want lots of intimacy and spending time with my partner.

I would want to avoid doctors much as possible and I would like to give birth at home with my partner.
    I want him there. I don't want to spread my legs up in the sky... I'd want to be in a relaxing hot water bath... safe with my partner.

I don't care if I die during pregnancy but I don't want to give birth at hospital. It's a choice I made. It's scary. But its my decision. It's my body and I very much like the comfort of my house not a hospital.

If I survive after pregnancy... I'd want him to be there with me. It's his child as much as mine. He needs to be there... its very important to form the correct bonding.

• my husband was great at supporting me during labour.
    our last born was the most difficult so when our OB came to help with the delivery it was pretty frantic. My husband was asked to hold onto one of my legs so he saw everything. he gave our daughter her first bottle while I showered.

• I don't expect all that much from him, I know he's not very good with any emotional stuff 😂 I know that he'll be there with me though and he'll hold my hand and reassure me and tell me I can do it and stuff like that and I know he'll be there to comfort me as best as he can. Even if he's not comfortable at emotional support, he does his best and that's what's most important to me 😂 I'll only be unhappy if he just decided not to be there at all.

• I really have no idea, but I expect I just need encouragement (not in the "you can do this" sort of way, but more in the "you're doing so well!" kinda way, if you get the distinction). Definitely would want him to be more chill, and not overbearing.

• I've never had a kid so I can only speculate. I'd just want them to do as they're told. If I want you to hold my hand, please do so. If I want to be alone because you being in the room is distracting, then go. I'd just want support but I imagine I would tell my partner ahead of time and we'd come up with a birthing plan.

• I don't know.. just be there, take me to the hospital, let squeeze the life out your hand, maybe cuss you out and tell you im never gonna do this shit again.. then repeat maybe a year or 2 later cause we at least having 3 kids so get that hand ready.

• Maybe I am not the right person to answer since I don't have kids yet. But maybe I would want him by my side in labor, showing me how excited he is to receive together our baby. Show me how much he cares about me and how he feels bad to see me suffering. Telling me how beautiful the baby is, just like me... lol
    Without leaving me.

• I guess the best thing a husband can do for his wife is to be there for her, rain or shine.

Be There For Her.

Do the following things for her when she is pregnant :

Ensure if there would be enough fruits at home and is consumed regularly by her.

Keep two extra pillows in her bed to keep under her feet to prevent any swelling

cut her toe nails

. Load and unloaded the dishwasher and washing machines.

. Bear with all the tantrums she will throw on those days due to hormonal changes.

Comfort her whenever the anxiety of an upcoming delivery would frighten her.

. Compliment the wife. Tell her she is looking great, tell her that you appreciate whatever she does for you. Keep her happy.

. Encourage her to walk a lot - it is good for her physically (even though she might need a lot of bathroom breaks as her pregnancy progresses) and it will give you ample time to discuss everything - from baby names to finances to baby care - without the intervention of TV and wifi.

. Download an app on her mobile that will remind her to drink water at regular intervals. Hydration is very important in pregnant ladies.

ALL THE BEST!! :)

• Be right beside me, give me support , tell me "it's gonna be over soon", or like other calming things. Just to be there, hold my hand, kiss it, share my pain you know? and don't be like "EW IT LOOKS GROSS"

• I expect him to keep me calm, hold my hand and to make me feel safe. He shouldn't leave my side no matter what. He should make sure that everything is in order and take all of the stress off of my shoulders leaving me only with one responsibility > delivering the baby. He should love my body for what it is at that moment and understand that it might take a while for me to get my old one back. He should make me feel loved, appreciated and protected.

• My labor lasted 10 hrs. Husband tried to keep me calm by talking, giving back rubs, going to fetch more ice chips. Then gave me oxytocin to move me to hard labor. At that point they are there mostly for you to scream at, curse at, run around the halls trying to find a nurse to get help because “my wife is in unbearable pain”. Nurses nod and send them back. When you are ready to push you probably will barely notice him - except as a hand to squeeze. Hopefully he won’t want to stand behind the doc and videotape. Mine didn’t.
    As soon as the baby is out, it will be wonderful to have him for emotional support as you’ll be a mess. In a good way.
    Just tell him to not take it personally if you say some mean things to him. No one means it. I grabbed the doctor by his tie, dragged his face closer to me and snarled, like something from the Exorcist, “Get It Out. NOW!” I sent a muffin basket to his office the next day.

• I don't plan on having any.

• Probably just comfort and to know he's there

• I don't expect much lol.
    Guys can be clueless about such stuff and you sometimes got to remind them and tell them what you want. So if he does some things on his own, great. If he doesn't, I'd tell him to do them, depending on the needs at that time

• Not be in the same room as me when I give birth, I don't want him to see me like this. I will surely ugly while doing it and wouldn't be comfortable with him seeing me like this.

• If he could just carry it for nine months and deliver it, then I would do most of the work after

• As long as he is there and being as supportive as possible, then I am happy. I expect him to be there and talk to be.

• he better stay in there with me.

• Moral support OUTSIDE... Hahaha

• I'd expect him to go elbow deep and just yank that little fucker out.

• Just be there with me for the ride, and say couple of encouraging things

• I expect him yo hold my hands till the baby is there

• FUCKING DRUGS

• Probably not to be sitting off the side eating a cheeseburger like my dad was when I was born. Lol

• Be there and hold my hand and tell me that I'm doing fine

• I hope he's there with me in the delivery room because I know I'll get violent if I'm in pain lol

• I expect him to be supportive and understanding as I'm snapping at him lol.

• I never really thought of having a child of my own so I don't know.

• To be there and hold my hand and support my legs when ready.

• More from Girls
    3