Privacy in relationships. Would you let your partner go through your phone?

I have never had an issue with someone that I'm dating or in a relationship with who wanted access to everything nor have I ever wanted access, so this concept is new to me. However, one of my couple friends allows each other to go through each other's phones as a "check up." Seems very distrustful to me. Would you do it?
  • Yes, it is their right in a relationship to have access to everything concerning you
  • Yes, only if I'm around to watch them go through it.
  • Yes, who cares
    Vote C
  • No, my phone is my privacy/boundary
    Vote D

2320

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends, if they are actively checking up on me all the time then no, I would not allow them to and if they insisted I would break up. However if they just want to borrow my phone or are bored and want to look through it then fine, I have nothing to hide. I have no problem with them knowing things about me, they are my (well at this point hypothetical) partner and that should be something that I and they should be comfortable with. IF however it becomes an issue of them not trusting me, they get one free look then if they continue to try and check up on me I would stop them, either they trust me or the relationship is done.

Most Helpful Girl

• There should be nothing on your phone worth hiding in the first place. That being said, I don't expect my partner to be insecure/immature enough to feel the need to look through my phone. If sthey have any issues they should be able to just ask me a question, not resort to spy tactics. I had that experience and it was annoying as hell.

Totally faithful, totally trustworthy and 100% transparent, yet due to his own uncalled-for insecurity he always bothered me and made me feel bad if I even spoke to a guy. It got so bad he would look through my phone/social media... find nothing, then try to add on extra meaning to messages that were completely normal. People that paranoid need time to learn what trust is. I tried hard to deal with this as well as many other insecurity related issues until I couldn't handle it... and decided to give him a forever break.