What should you expect when moving in with a SO?

A few days ago my boyfriend told me if certain things work out then he may move in next month. Obviously I am very excited. I’ve lived with him before while we were away at college.

This experience made me think of what advice people may want to give others about moving in with their SO. What advice would you give? What would you expect?

3958

Most Helpful Guy

• Personally, I think you have to live with someone for 2 years or so in order to really get to know them, lots of what you will learn, is the other stuff... like “oh... bleh” - the dirty habits, smell their farts, they just go from cute to simply really human, and annoying. However, you are either the type of person, where all of it will make you even closer or you will look forward to the day you have your own space again.
    Best advise: don’t try to change him all the time. You will want to. Learn the difference between asking someone to be considerate of you, and trying to change them, they aren’t the same

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Honestly, in my opinion, it’s the #1 mistake girls do in relationships, they don’t see a difference or know how to

• Something tells me you are just excited is all, and want to make it happy. Maybe it’s more of a feeling of being in love, as it’s hard to think of ones own needs, boundaries and how the other one can help you, when all you feel like is to make them happy.
      Just know this, this intense feeling, it isn’t going to always feel like that, and your feelings can solve all relationship challenges, so you need to talk to some older women, who have been married awhile, ask for advice, and challenge yourself to enable a successful marriage through both feelings and wisdom

• That is very wise. Thank you

Most Helpful Girl

• Moving in with a partner is very exciting but also comes with it's challenges. You have two separate lifestyles coming together as one so if you aren't on the same page, that can lead to some frustration.

For example, when I moved in with my boyfriend, I was SO annoyed at some of his habits and the way he maintained his apartment (of course I knew some of these things before moving in, but you don't really see the FULL aspect of the other person's living habits until you actually live together). He found some of my habits annoying as well. Ultimately, it just takes patience, communication and compromise to work it out.

Another important thing is privacy and personal space. Living together doesn't automatically mean you have to be together ALL the time and share everything. It's still good to have your separate interests and time alone (at least for me, that's important). It's okay to ask for space and do things by yourself sometimes, even when you live together!

Honesty and communication about finances is VERY important as well when you live with your partner. Your financial decisions don't just impact yourself anymore, it impacts the other person too so it's always good to talk about that before moving in and figure out how you're going to share the financial responsibilities when you live together.

Those are the main things I would advise a couple moving in together to think about. :)

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE