What is the best/fair thing to do when one partner has no income?

I am moving in with my boyfriend, won't have a job immediatly and might even take 4 months (due to some reasons I cannot help) that I won't have an income.

I already told him I would take care of the cooking and cleaning, but I also told him I would pay rent together with him. Not sure how he felt about that tbh as he kinda avoided replying to that and I haven't pushed it since.

I have plenty of savings and not worried about not having an income for a couple months but I just don't want to give him the idea I wanna take advantage of him financially.

Is that a good idea? I also don't want to make him feel like any less of a man. I don't know what's fair or should be done in this situation.

822

Most Helpful Guy

• In my opinion you should insist in paying half of all your living expenses including rent. It is healthier that way I think. Also talk and talk about everything so there would be no misunderstandings about some stuff, including this "issue". Also you are stepping in to another phase of life, the "adult" one, so you should know to be relaxed and enjoy and also just communicate and navigate life in a 50-50 ratio. Good luck and best wishes on your together life! )

Most Helpful Girl

• Do you need to move in now (as in you have no where else to live?) or are you wanting to? Is he living by himself at the moment and will you be moving into the house he already has or did you plan on getting one together? How long have you both been together for?

• Yeah it's now or never kinda. He wants me to move in real bad and so do I. Waiting any longer would just be avoiding the inevitable. It's not his place we are gonna be renting something together.

• If your able to share all the costs though I don't think you not working will be an issue. But if you need him to buy you food he may feel a bit of pressure.

• He doesn't want to wait, he is iniating all of this. I just wanna know what is fair when one person isn't able to work for a short amount of time while living together with their partner.