What have you learned from loneliness?

There seems to be a kind of loneliness epidemic going on. I read a lot about people who want to find a partner, want to have a fulfilling and lasting relationship, but for some reason can't. And as a result are forced to be lonely for extended periods of time.

Have you ever been lonely? For how long? Why do you think you had to experience this? And, most importantly, what have you learned from this experience?What have you learned from loneliness?

2342

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been single for five years. I wasn't lonely all throughout the years but at times, sometimes frequent and sometimes not, a deep sense of loneliness and sadness would hit me. Usually right before bed or when I see a bond I don't have. One of the reasons I don't like romance shows is because of this. Because after watching them, they leave me yearning for something I don't have. The reason why I feel like this is maybe because, I went through something bad before and it made it hard for me to trust people. I have close childhood friends that you can count on one hand, they're dependable and understanding but I have never been the type of person who is expressive. I don't know how to be. So because of that, I tend to feel lonely with all these thoughts. People always told me, "I wish I could be you. You lasted so long without a partner." I get asked a lot, "Aren't you lonely?" And because of my pride, I always answered, "No. I'm used to this." But despite feeling that horrible loneliness in my heart, I learned a lot about myself. I started observing. And witnessing the problems, headaches and heartaches of people with partners around me, I told myself so many times, "I'm so lucky to be alone." Being lonely, sometimes allows you to hear what's not being said. The small actions of people, the change in someone's vibe etc. I think being lonely makes you more aware. There are more things to say but I think I should just end this long ass paragraph here.

• 6d

Long is good. Thanks!

• 4d

@cth96190 that does help sometimes, but not by much. Although I do sleep a lot too. Do you sleep with lots of pillows? Hugging my pillows helps too.

• 2d

I may have accidentally misconstrued how I interact with strangers. I actually don't like approaching others, but i find it to be easier if I have a reason to talk to someone. I suppose the sense of loneliness and longing for something/someone that's just out of reach never really goes away. Perhaps it's an unconscious desire to seek out the unknown and uncover unimaginable mysteries.

Most Helpful Guy

• Loneliness I believe has nothing to do with “being alone” or seclusion, as often people in very crowded cities, with roommates, etc say it is “lonely.” So it really isn’t about being alone, what it is, is two intersection feelings about oneself, that meet together (1) is self-loathing, doubting yourself or feeling “not good enough” or dwelling on things not going as planned let’s say and (2) the desire to feeling wanted, appreciated and loved.
    When those two come together, run concurrently, or intersect in some way, which usually happen when you are alone thinking by coincidence, then you feel lonely. If you don’t want to feel lonely, you can work on either of those, work on being content, less critical of yourself and compassionate to yourself, as far as feeling wanted, you have to fix 1 first, then you appreciate others first, then it comes back around

• 5d

Very nice analysis!

• 4d

Not sure where it comes from, I think what seems to be required is a good sleep pattern, diet and exercise. Aside from that, it is attitude and a general positive outlook on life where stress has been managed. There is also a domino effect, the more I sense girls are into me, the more I have good experiences with girls, physically and/or just a general chemistry, it creates momentum. I think what is more important, than understanding what it tasks to get that momentum, is understanding what is preventing it from getting off the ground, which is basically self loathing, depression, unhealthy habits, bad sleep, lack of exercise and especially not taking risks and engaging with people

• 4d

You have to be able to become selfless to some degree, not self-protective, avoid being cynical or being a casual observer, or skeptical, as it is so easy to get stuck in that headspace, ultimately what it does is gets you into a rut, then you simply look for evidence and reasons why you are in that situation... like I gained some weight and thought, since I did, that is why girls aren’t into me, but what I was doing was having a bad attitude and not engaging and just thinking of myself. Girls aren’t interested in guys who are just thinking of themselves, they want to be noticed, admired and appreciated, and to feel sexy by your efforts, to be able to do that, you have to become selfless and looking outwards, not inwards