Dating someone with depression?

So im on the brink of starting a relationship with my significant other, who just told me that they have had depression for most of their adult life and didn't know it, they thought it was completely normal and that life just sucked. Now due to this they say they a emotionally "Very very numb." I really like this person and I want to support them with this but im not sure how I can if they aren't emotionally 100% there. What do y'all think?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 2

• We all have things that others might perceive as faults. It was very brave indeed of this person to tell you about their depression - I know just how hard it is to tell another person something that is very private. The fact that they have told you means that they are aware of the problem and are facing up to it.

0|1
    0|0
    • 7d

I know I mean she's super closed off usually I have to dig information out of her. I just am worried that her "Emotional numbness" isn't just in general and she doesn't have any true feelings for me.

• 7d

I can understand where you're coming from. But I have never told my own problems to anyone I did not totally trust, and I expect she's the same.

• I had depression for quite a while because I was abused as a child. It took me a bit to warm up to my boyfriend, but when I did, I gave him my whole heart. I love him so much. If your significant other had/has depression, they definitely could use more kindness and love in their life.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

• Work to make them do things. Even if they say they don't want to do something, have them go on a walk. Just get up and move around do something. My fiance has depression as well and at first it feels one sided but the harder you work to make your SO feel happy the more you will feel that they are there emotionally as well

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes