Do you consider love to be an important part of your life and why is it so important?

Do you consider love to be an important part of your life and why is it so important?
It is quite confusing for me to see how most people seem to put so much emphasis and importance on attracting a girlfriend/boyfriend and eventually wanting to marry them.

The foundation of this state of mind called love is sexual attraction. The desire to reproduce caused by an imbalance of hormones in the brain gives people the instinct of wanting to search for a partner, even animals have this.

A lot of people say that attraction to personality is very important too and I agree, because we as humans are of a higher intelligence than other animals so naturally we'd be able to seemingly add greater meaning to love.
However the fact of the matter is that if not for the primal sexual attraction, even if you were very compatiable in terms of personality, you'd most likely only be great friends at best.
This is the reality and love is not some magical connection or spark as some would put it. Of course as learned, intelligent beings you all know that right?

I'll ask again why do most people seem to put so much time and energy into forming these romantic relationships? All I seem to see is problems and more problems arising from things ranging from cheating to losing interest, all of which is completely natural though some are morally questionable.
As I said, the 'want' and the 'desire' is more just primal instincts, so the only reason left is for necessity. What sort of necessity are most people fulfilling by frantically chasing such a thing as love?

1|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people feel as though they NEED a significant other to feel happy and successful in life, others find that they're fine alone. The key is to figure out which kind of person you are, and then base your life around that. I personally am doing okay being single, since, like you said, I don't have to deal with issues like cheating and whatnot.

1|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yes same here. I'm happy with my life as it is and so I don't feel the need to risk my mental stability in the battlefield that is love, somewhere where anything can happen.

Most Helpful Guy

• You aren’t going to understand love by being it’s devils advocate. In fact, you left out a sentence “Love has basically the same bio-chemical response in humans as reaction to chocolate” - it’s a great point

2|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Actually no I didn't leave out because taste uses a different signalling pathway than the feeling of love. Also yes it does help me understand love better because knowing more about the facts never hurts and these are facts. People feel intimidated by the facts because they either don't understand it or don't want it to ruin their perfect illusion and fantasty.

• Show All
    • What is your favorite food? Why is it your favorite? Is it because you logically and rationally, figured out, all the ingredients... then studied the biochemical reward system you have, to explain why you like that meal more than others, through careful analysis?
      Or, do you just like the way it tastes? For whatever reason that doesn’t really matter?

• Thinking you can dissect things, that you haven’t experienced, because you think, you have it all figured out, and therefore, the experience is just as easily understood, as a non-participating casual observer, is delusional

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 15

• I just want someone to enjoy the things that I love. I like my alone time a lot, so if I want to spend time with someone I find attractive physically and personality wise it means I enjoy their company a lot more than being alone. They right match will want me to become a better version of myself for them because they're special to me. I think the little things they do and say matter the most. I am finally in a decent relationship where I am comfortable with where we are all the way around because we have trust. I am not scared he'd cheat on me, and he's not the jealous type. Of course love is a chemical in the brain that causes some hormones to change. I wouldn't consider sexual attraction and wanting to make babies or wanting a marriage to be the main aspect wanting someone. Personally, my significant other and I don't ever want kids, and we might get married just to make things official in the future. We're not very traditional or religious so we'll just sign the paper for financial benefits and the honor to call him my husband one day. Its nice to be matched with someone who's your best friend and lover I guess

0|1
    0|0
  • While I agree with the scientific points behind your post, you are overlooking one thing. Happiness is always fleeting, only contentment can be attained long term. But sex and love both provide a quantity of all the "happy hormones". Is it necessary? No. But it is a really nice icing on the cake of life.

0|1
    0|0
  • It is important to me, makes feel important and wanted and ultimately gives me a feeling of satisfaction.

0|1
    0|0
  • We all want someone to love and trust and share with

4|1
    0|0
  • Yes. Since i was very young, my only goal was to find love and be happy. It was never about going to college or making something of myself. It was always about love.

0|1
    0|0
    • But you cannot be happy in society without an education and a good job so shouldn't learning be a priority too?

• Show All
    • Women are incapable of love though.

• Well if you believe that then thats your opinion.

• More from Girls

What Guys Said 17

• To love and be loved is at the core of every human being because we are all made by God who is love Himself, so we are created out of love. Every normal person has an inborn or instinctive need to be wanted, to be needed, to be made to feel important – to be loved. In a normal mom and dad family, as soon as a child is born or even before birth, the mother develops a strong feeling of affection for her child – an intense emotional attachment. That is instilled in her so that she will care for her child until his/her adulthood. The father is in the picture too and forms a similar bond with his child. Likewise, children will love their parents in an also somewhat similar way.
    Men and women seek out each other for security, fun, games and companionship, many other reasons too, and of course for sex which is the strongest attraction of all and the foundation of the other reasons I mentioned because we do need to reproduce to keep the human race growing. In the course of these going ons, couples develop deep attraction for one another without necessarily intending to. Love is something that seems to happen on it’s own… quickly or slowly... or never when it comes to loving another person. We can’t plan to fall in love with another person. It’s something that develops on its own. As this attraction grows it usually turns into love to the point where one will be willing to take the bullet for the other one. They can become inseparable no matter how long they might be apart. So yes, I do consider love to be an important part of my life because that’s the only way I can be happy and fill fulfilled and satisfied with my life. I love my SO and my parents first of all. I would do anything for them that was necessary. I also get the same fulfillment from being loved by them too. I’m sure there will be ups and downs in my life but I won’t ever stop loving. I feel sorry for anyone that doesn’t feel loved or can say they don’t love anyone. Someone like that must be very unhappy because we are made to love and be loved to that’s totally against the grain.

0|1
    0|0
    • Typo correction: Last sentence: Someone like that must be very unhappy because we are made to love and be loved, so that is totally against the grain.

• Ask teenagers. and they will tell you
    But who cares.

1|1
    0|0
    • There is a very thin line between love and lust and is so thin that I don't think it even exists. Both are obsessions with another person, just at different intensities.

• Show All
    • Nope
      Cuz if you want knowledge you can get from someone, but to get wise, you have to acquire it by intro reflecting, anaylsis and dig deeper than everyone.

• @djmzes

You will do great in philosophy maybe even law once you mastered the art of rhetorics. I feel great virtues from you.

• Yes i believe its important. The act of letting someone be so close to you, sharing all your problems and triumphs is good for your mental health.

0|1
    0|0
    • One study observed that the lack of a strong relationship increased the risk of premature death from all causes by 50%. Roughly comparable to smoking 15 cigarettes per day. Put frankly, romantic relationships make our brains and bodies work better and last longer

• That sounds like my body is threatening me with death if I do not comply with my instincts lol

• I think it is very important. I like to have someone to confide in.

1|1
    0|0
    • Could you not confide in a close friend? Why is a partner so special?

• I guess you could but to me it is not the same.

• Love is nothing more than just that. It's just chemicals in our brains & what people consider love is just there to keep the human race producing & surviving. Love is not real.

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes