Do you consider love to be an important part of your life and why is it so important?

It is quite confusing for me to see how most people seem to put so much emphasis and importance on attracting a girlfriend/boyfriend and eventually wanting to marry them.

The foundation of this state of mind called love is sexual attraction. The desire to reproduce caused by an imbalance of hormones in the brain gives people the instinct of wanting to search for a partner, even animals have this.

A lot of people say that attraction to personality is very important too and I agree, because we as humans are of a higher intelligence than other animals so naturally we'd be able to seemingly add greater meaning to love.
However the fact of the matter is that if not for the primal sexual attraction, even if you were very compatiable in terms of personality, you'd most likely only be great friends at best.
This is the reality and love is not some magical connection or spark as some would put it. Of course as learned, intelligent beings you all know that right?

I'll ask again why do most people seem to put so much time and energy into forming these romantic relationships? All I seem to see is problems and more problems arising from things ranging from cheating to losing interest, all of which is completely natural though some are morally questionable.
As I said, the 'want' and the 'desire' is more just primal instincts, so the only reason left is for necessity. What sort of necessity are most people fulfilling by frantically chasing such a thing as love?

1618

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people feel as though they NEED a significant other to feel happy and successful in life, others find that they're fine alone. The key is to figure out which kind of person you are, and then base your life around that. I personally am doing okay being single, since, like you said, I don't have to deal with issues like cheating and whatnot.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yes same here. I'm happy with my life as it is and so I don't feel the need to risk my mental stability in the battlefield that is love, somewhere where anything can happen.

Most Helpful Guy

• You aren’t going to understand love by being it’s devils advocate. In fact, you left out a sentence “Love has basically the same bio-chemical response in humans as reaction to chocolate” - it’s a great point

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Actually no I didn't leave out because taste uses a different signalling pathway than the feeling of love. Also yes it does help me understand love better because knowing more about the facts never hurts and these are facts. People feel intimidated by the facts because they either don't understand it or don't want it to ruin their perfect illusion and fantasty.

• What is your favorite food? Why is it your favorite? Is it because you logically and rationally, figured out, all the ingredients... then studied the biochemical reward system you have, to explain why you like that meal more than others, through careful analysis?
      Or, do you just like the way it tastes? For whatever reason that doesn’t really matter?

• Thinking you can dissect things, that you haven’t experienced, because you think, you have it all figured out, and therefore, the experience is just as easily understood, as a non-participating casual observer, is delusional