What is the difference between an open relationship and a polyamorous relationship?

Finished watching a tv show (Sense8) where a woman and her husband enter into a polygamous relationship with another man. I was shocked that this is a thing. This got me thinking, is being in a polygamous relationship the same as in being in a open relationship?

P. S. Even though I would never consider an open relationship...
I firmly believe people can live their lives the way they see fit if it’s not hurting any parties.

2360

Most Helpful Guys

• In an open relationship you are emotionally attached to one person but can have sex with anyone. In a polyamorous relationship, you aren't just sleeping around, you have multiple romantic partners and you wouldn't sleep with people outside that. Its like being in a monogamous relationship but with multiple people at the same time.

I was glad Sense8 got a finale because the end if season 2 was such a cliffhanger... but I was pretty disappointed with how they ended it. They tried way too hard to tie all the relationships and stories up in a nice, perfect little bow. It was like an optimistic, lighthearted fan wrote the finale episode.

• An open relationship is where two people are in a relationship together, but still date or have sex with other people on the side. Essentially, they are not exclusive with one another. Example: Mark and Jessie are boyfriend and girlfriend, but every Saturday night, they go out to different bars, meet different people, and have sex with them... and the other person is aware.

A polyamorous relationship is where an exclusive relationship exists between more than two people. Example: Mark, Jill, and Caitlyn are all "dating" each other. They are all committed to each other, and ONLY date or have sex with the other two.

Does that make sense, or should I put a little more detail into it?

Most Helpful Girls

• Being in an open relationship means one or both is allowed to see other people. This is usually kept entirely separate, and people don't know about their partners other partners.
    Being in a polyamorous relationship means one or both seeing other people if they wanted, or finding someone to join them. Either way, people know about what goes on with others seeing others.

• No, not at all. An open relationship is a normal committed relationship where both parties are allowed to have sexual partners outside of one another, but the romance stays between the two. Think of it as going out and having sex as you like, but always coming back to the same person at the end of the day.
    Polyamory is a little more complicated but at its simplest you can break it down by its morphemes (or root words).
    Poly= many
    Amor= love
    So its a person with multiple romantic partners. It comes in many different forms however and is often misunderstood because of this. Not all parties are always dating one another, however. To make is simple let's say there's 3 people involved in the relationship. We'll call them Frank, Hazel, and Leo. I'm this scenario Frank and Hazel were initially in a normal, managomous relationship. The couple meets Leo and all become very close; now this could go one of many ways. The one most people would assume when thinking of Polyamory is that both Frank and Hazel develope a deep, romantic attraction to Leo. Which is common and very normal, so in this case Frank and Hazel would decide, since both love him in a romantic sense, to include him in the relationship. So here all three are dating one another but it's only involving these 3 parties, just like between two people except there's another person also dating the couple and no one outside those in the relationship are involved.
    But, there are other options where possibly ONLY Hazel or ONLY Frank falls in love with Leo. For this example let's say its Hazel inlove with Leo, but still is completely and utterly devoted and in love with Frank. Upon discussing it together, let's say Frank is comfortable with Hazel also dating Leo as well as her dating himself, but he only has platonic feelings towards Leo (or seeing him as a friend). In this instance, Hazel would also date Leo as well as date Frank, but all parties involved are happy and comfortable with the situation. It's not cheating because all are in the know and happy with the situation, just Hazel has two boyfriends. This could also apply to Frank who would then have a boyfriend and a girlfriend, but Hazel and Leo are not dating each other.
    There's many different ways this could go and more people could always be involved, but this is the simplist way to put it.
    I hope this helps!!!