If you could never be in a relationship, would you be able to live a normal life?

Let's just say you could never be in a relationship; that all you could have are family members and close friendships at best. Would you be able to handle not being devoted to only one person romantically? Do you feel the need to be in a relationship at some point or another? I'm curious what people think of this.
If you could never be in a relationship, would you be able to live a normal life?
  • I could handle a life without being in a relationship!
    Vote A
  • I'd be broken without being in a relationship at some point...
    Vote B
  • I feel indifferent about this at the moment.
    Vote C
  • Other! (Comment below)
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I’d probably associate myself closely with a small community and become a teacher or a midwife. It’d Allow me to have a semblance of a family and a closeness with children. I wouldn’t adopt if I was single. Children need a father.

0|1
    0|0
  • Interesting. Guys think they'd still be able to have a sexual relationship/dates with a woman and still have it be considered single (a friendship or a family relation) so they are okay with no relationships for the rest of their lives. I guess you did only stress the romantic relationships. So in their minds the women would disappear as soon as they started feeling things beyond sexual for her. But I think you meant anything that goes beyond platonic/family would be off limits. Not many people would be able to do it if they weren't allowed to be close to anyone they are attracted to except as friends.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• You don't need a relationship to survive and live. And if "all you could have are family members and close friendships at best" then that's better than nothing at all. Besides trust is hard to come by anyway. At least you wouldn't have to worry about all of the drama, responsibilities and difficulties that come with a relationship. If you have nobody, then you have nobody to lose. You're free to decide how you want to live your life, where you you want to go and what it is that you want to do and accomplish, without any additional worries.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have been in several long term relationships and one was very healthy; loving, fun, productive and functional. I’ve also been in chaotic, hyper-sexual, dysfunctional relationships.
    What I’ve learned is it’s better to be single, than in most relationship scenarios, as it’s easy to get into just any relationship, and so many exist for the wrong reasons... insecurity-driven, dysfunctional, Co-dependent, and it’s not good for either person.
    So, unless you are in a healthy relationship, you are removing yourself from realizing your full potential. So, you should figure out how to live a life you want single, because of being in a relationship feels needed, you will likely get into one, that isn’t in your best interests

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 15

• 17 years of my life without a relationship, I think I can continue that. I'd be fine.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know if I want a relationship - I like having somebody to care for me and love me and having somebody to love and care for but I'm scared of the responsibilities that come with marriage.

1|1
    0|0
  • I could handle a life without being in a relationship, I think. I don’t really dream about an own family (I mean having kids). But if that was my biggest dream, then living without a relationship would be much worse. I also have some passions, so I think I wouldn’t feel my life that empty or joyless

0|1
    0|0
  • I could handle it. Actually looking forward to the life of a "cat lady" I don't mind being lonely even tho sometimes hurts, but getting your heart broken and shattered hurts a lot more.

2|1
    0|0
  • I’m in between, hard choice so, for right now I’m happy and enjoy being single it’s that last thought I have in mind. But I’m sure in the future it will start to get to me feel the needs to want to be with someone.

0|1
    0|0
  • I could handle not being in a relationship. In a lot of ways life is a lot less complicated not being in one. There are still physical needs but those can be satisfied without being in a relationship to be perfectly honest.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd be broken without being in a relationship at some point.

1|4
    0|0
  • Most of us have had moments in our lives without a relationship. Who is say one of us isn't going to end up alone anyway?

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd be broken without being in a relationship at some point.

0|2
    1|0
  • I could handle not being in a relationship. There are things that are more enjoyable when you are single, you also have less problems being single.

1|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 35

• I am a very romantic person and would love nothing more than to be married to the woman I love and have kids. I know this but I'm 26 and never been in a relationship. At this point, I'm sure I could continue on without ever actually being in a relationship though it's what I want most in the world.

1|1
    0|0
  • I recently ended my 3yo relationship (3 months ago) and I feel like my life has been very empty. I tried the hooking up with other girls but I feel nothing when I'm right there kissing them. So I think I'm bad at being single and my biggest dream is to have a daughter so yeah, I'd be broken without someone to love till the end.

0|1
    0|0
  • I mean I’ve managed to live without being in a proper relationship, sure I’ve been with girls but when I’m not with them I realise it didn’t matter to me as much as I thought.

0|1
    1|0
  • Easy.
    You don't need a relationship to feel good about yourself, or to have fun with the opposite sex (or whomever you're attracted to).
    I always go years without a girlfriend and I'm always fine.
    As of now I don't plan on getting married ever (not unless I get back with my ex). So my plan is to avoid GFs altogether for as long as I can.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's fun to be single for a while, but sooner or later, you'll feel the need to want to be with someone special, being around family or friends can only help so much.

2|1
    0|0
  • I could handle it, sure. They are nice but they aren't everything. There is plenty to enjoy without relationships.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think I could, but that would be at detriment to my relationship. I don't open up and I don't devote too much time to one person. So even if I got into a relationship, I don't see me being able to give her enough attention

0|1
    1|0
  • I'm pretty happy for someone who's guaranteed single for good. I remain unaware of any other manner of living.

0|3
    1|0
  • After 8+ years of being alone I already know that I will be alone. The only time I have women interested in me is when they want me to fix their computers. I am now keeping everyone away.

0|1
    0|0
  • I still think most guys dont care for the relationship. Most seem more interested in getting their rock off.

1|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes