If you could never be in a relationship, would you be able to live a normal life?

Let's just say you could never be in a relationship; that all you could have are family members and close friendships at best. Would you be able to handle not being devoted to only one person romantically? Do you feel the need to be in a relationship at some point or another? I'm curious what people think of this.
  • I could handle a life without being in a relationship!
  • I'd be broken without being in a relationship at some point...
  • I feel indifferent about this at the moment.
    Vote C
  • Other! (Comment below)
    Vote D

1737

Most Helpful Girls

• I’d probably associate myself closely with a small community and become a teacher or a midwife. It’d Allow me to have a semblance of a family and a closeness with children. I wouldn’t adopt if I was single. Children need a father.

• Interesting. Guys think they'd still be able to have a sexual relationship/dates with a woman and still have it be considered single (a friendship or a family relation) so they are okay with no relationships for the rest of their lives. I guess you did only stress the romantic relationships. So in their minds the women would disappear as soon as they started feeling things beyond sexual for her. But I think you meant anything that goes beyond platonic/family would be off limits. Not many people would be able to do it if they weren't allowed to be close to anyone they are attracted to except as friends.

Most Helpful Guys

• You don't need a relationship to survive and live. And if "all you could have are family members and close friendships at best" then that's better than nothing at all. Besides trust is hard to come by anyway. At least you wouldn't have to worry about all of the drama, responsibilities and difficulties that come with a relationship. If you have nobody, then you have nobody to lose. You're free to decide how you want to live your life, where you you want to go and what it is that you want to do and accomplish, without any additional worries.

• I have been in several long term relationships and one was very healthy; loving, fun, productive and functional. I’ve also been in chaotic, hyper-sexual, dysfunctional relationships.
    What I’ve learned is it’s better to be single, than in most relationship scenarios, as it’s easy to get into just any relationship, and so many exist for the wrong reasons... insecurity-driven, dysfunctional, Co-dependent, and it’s not good for either person.
    So, unless you are in a healthy relationship, you are removing yourself from realizing your full potential. So, you should figure out how to live a life you want single, because of being in a relationship feels needed, you will likely get into one, that isn’t in your best interests