How "Honest" should you be in a Relationship?

How
I always wonder about this because, like most things, what you have to be honest about changes from person to person. I've been told in some relationships that I'm either too honest or not honest enough. I seldom meet a happy middle ground on the issue. What do you think? How honest do your relationships need to be?
  • Absolutely Honest! (No secrets)
  • Emotionally Honest (How you view and feel about things)
  • Actionably Honest (Admiting and taking responsiblity for any actions you carry out)
    Vote C
  • Personally Honest (All that stuff you mainly keep to yourself)
    Vote D
  • Selectively Honest (Honest only when asked)
    Vote E
  • Other/Results
    Vote F

4749

Most Helpful Girls

• As honest as possible. Of course you shouldn't feel like you have to share EVERYTHING with partner, ranging from what you had for lunch today to your deepest, darkest secrets. But definitely tell them about things that concern them and affect them, and not just when asked. I still like to keep my privacy, like I don't share any passwords with my partner and I'd prefer it if he didn't read my conversations between my friends, my family and I unless it concerns him. Otherwise I'm upfront about pretty much everything; how I feel, what I expect, what I want to do, what I like/dislike etc, and I expect the same level of honesty from him. Like an open flow of constructive communication. No passive-aggressiveness, no mind reading or hint dropping, no explosive arguments.

• Be honest as you can but in a filtered and understandable way. Know the time and place and who your audience is. If you know the person is argumentative or sensitive, tailor what you have to say to get what you need to say across in the best way. And always let them know that you are constantly evolving as time goes so you may change your mind on things and they should be understanding to this because they will grow and change too, especially as they grow more comfortable with you , the relationship and in life. But in terms of being honest about you’re past, I would say only if it would actually have an impact on the relationship , than share it. Otherwise no need to lay all the horrible wrongs you’ve down out because (im assuming) you’ve changed and grown. If they ask, be honest , and if they can’t accept that the past is the past, let them go

Most Helpful Guys

• If one of the biggest fundamentals to a healthy and successful relationship is "trust"; that means honesty is a key policy here. If someone isn't able to handle the truth about you as a person, your past history and such, they are not ready to handle a relationship with you. When starting out in a relationship, it's perfectly normal to feel uneasy about commitment issues, losing interest and cheating, especially if you have little to no background history of your partner/significant other. If you were to always be honest from the start and followed that rule all throughout your relationship, it'll become stable much sooner!

Some people will say being too honest from the start is considered unattractive. If you can't handle what they throw at you, how can you expect to handle anything that'll happen in the future with them? We all have problems and weird things about ourselves that make us who we are today! It's important to realize that if we can't be ourselves in the relationship, we'll feel trapped in our own minds when we want to be as free and comfortable around our partner/significant other as possible!

With that said, complete honesty from the start in my opinion is an absolute "must"! That doesn't necessarily mean you have to blurt out every little detail about yourself; only when you're partner wants to talk about it. Honesty is so healthy in a relationship as it clears up conflict quickly and gives both of you peace in mind. The moment you start to build up lies is when the relationship starts to go downhill when you don't feel completely comfortable with them and can't openly tell them the truth...

• This is a really really complex question. I don't think anyone completely shares everything all the time (nor do I think anyone actually wants a relationship with someone who said every single thing that comes into that person's head). It depends so much on knowing your partner and the sorts of things you really should share with them and the things you should bite your tongue on.

The easiest guideline is don't be deceitful, thus you shouldn't ever actually lie, and you shouldn't keep something from your partner that you know they would want to know, and strive for sincerety at all times. Most partners will accept a sincere "sorry, I actually didn't even think to tell you that," on a subject... once at least, but when you find yourself having to say that to someone you need to pay attention and ensure you share information like that from now on with your partner without fail.

• It's not really a complex situation/question at all.
      Here is my reasoning.

No you don't have to say everything that comes to your mind but you should be 100% honest with the person that you are with because without fail if something slips and they find out you were lying the consequences could be bad for doing such. As most couples like 100% truth between them.

• @xButterflyKisses87x I would generally agree with you, but I have learned from experience that I shouldn't throw out everything I'm feeling with my SO, especially when I'm in a bad mood.

For instance she's not too fond of hearing, "Baby, I don't care, alright? I'm tired and annoyed and I really am not interested in hearing about your day or every single conversation you had, okay?" So I bite my tongue and try to just listen until she's done in such cases. She knows I do this and she appreciates that I listen even if she figures out I was in a bad mood and didn't want to listen. It's about knowing your partner. It's not lying to her, even though I'm definitely hiding feelings, she sees it as civility and putting her first. Another woman might see this differently as she wouldn't want a man to be sitting there "pretending to care" when they talk and would rather him say something. It all depends on knowing who your SO is, in my opinion, and that's where I see some complexity.

• Can agree there, I wasn't saying to say that though but I agree because saying something like "baby, i don't care alright?" will upset her, i get you there.. but I am talking on other issues