Do you think it’s a sign of insecurity to always post about your relationship on social media?

When you post about your relationship on social media all the time is it a sign of insecurity about the relationship?
Do you think it’s a sign of insecurity to always post about your relationship on social media?

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• Depends on the content but excessive, overly "mushy" posts after the "honeymoon" phase usually leads me to believe they are compensating for a lack of romantic sustenance in the relationship or are trying to make the relationship appear stronger than it really is.

8|5
    0|1
  • yes, they say that the people who do this are usually those who are in toxic relationships and sadly I personally know a few people who do this on a constant basis are currently at war with each other on the down low.

seriously, if you're happy in your relationship or with life in general then you would feel very confident on your own and won't have the need to constantly tell the whole world about it as if you were trying to make an image of yourself or something

12|6
    1|1
    • thanks for the mho

• Show All
    • @Redeemed i understand that part but what I'm trying to explain is that the majority of people who do this, who have the need to tell the world about it are usually bullshitting and just doing this for the sole purpose of seeking attention.

• Totally Agree

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes. There have been studies and articles on this as well. Just google “social media relationship insecure” and you’ll find tons. Here’s one: www.independent.co.uk/.../...s-nikki-a7530911.html

In my opinion, oversharing does mean you’re a little insecure because that’s basically what social media is for—making sure people know that the things we are most insecure about are what we’re supposedly most confident about. If you’re constantly pushing something about you in everyone’s face, then that means that part of you isn’t really that stable or strong so you continuously have to reinforce that statement.

1|1
    0|1
    • Think of it this way: if you’re having a really good time, would you always stop to take pictures, or would you just enjoy the moment and maybe take one or two photos later on? That’s how I can tell my real friends from my acquaintances. With my real close friends, we rarely take pictures until we’re saying goodbye or something really interesting happens because we’ve been spending real quality time with each other instead of being distracted “capturing the moment.”

• Show All
    • I think this almost exactly.

As a parent, and a photographer, I do endlessly take pictures. But I don’t post until the end of the day when all is said and done. But for me - taking pictures is part of what we do as we do it.

But I agree with the rest. If you constantly have to show how “happy” you are on social media with your relationship - you probably aren’t that happy or secure in what’s going on.

• I was gonna say I take pics of our fun together just like I do with our kids. But I do wait till our fun is over before I post I on fb for like family to our fun adventures. It would be rude to do it while spending time together.

• Either that or they're trying to overcompensate for the fact that one of them has a wondering eye. I remember this guy that was initially pretending to be single once started flirting with me on Facebook, then a couple of weeks later started constantly posting pictures of his girlfriend and ranting about how women don't respect his relationship. That was obviously him trying really hard to make people think he was actually being loyal to his girlfriend.

8|4
    0|0
    • I find it funny when one of them is posting how in love they are and the other is always posting about what they’d do if they were cheated on. Things that make ya wonder what’s going on behind the scenes 😂

• Show All
    • Not when its two tards, mind you the language, you have at hand. Whatever the real explenation is i smell thick and hevy smoke. Good call

• I have one friend who will start posting pics and declarations if undying love after a month or less.

And yeah, good call. Men like that are shits.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 198

• It is not about insecurity. It's about lack of maturity.

The immature people who don't know how relationship works, do this posting activity.

For example: There was this girl, who always posted each and every activity in her relationship. She used to speak in sweet tone and addresses him as baby and other such cute type names.
    She never supports him in any ways. She was irresponsible too. She wants to be pampered always. She used to fight for silly reasons for reasons like, not taking her to parlor, not buying eateries which she selected, not telling her that she is beautiful when she wore something new, not liking her FB posts, not answering her call.

she won't go by herself to parlor. She never comprises to lesser things. She wants what she wants. She wants to be treated as princess, no matter what situation he is in. She wants him to answer her voice call even when he is busy at work. She never understood him.

Such people either it be a guy or a girl, are always living a good life but aren't satisfied with what they have. They compare their lives with others'. They want to be appreciated always. They don't bother about others' feelings. They don't care for their spouse as well as in-laws. They are selfish. They cry a lot. Their emotions are hyper and in extremes only. They are extremely excited else extremely sad and depressed.

I'm not accusing them. This is what they are. I've seen more such people. They are never happy and they always feel lonely even when there are lot of good people around them. They feel good only when they are treated as prince/princess by all of them. Anything lesser, would bother them a lot and they get sleepless nights seriously.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes it can be, people post positive things about their relationship to make it seem like its a heathy long lasting love filled relationship so when they look at their own posts it kind of creates this fake reality where to them its like their relationship is going quite well while in reality its actually pretty shitty...

2|1
    0|0
    • Or one or the both of them are super insecure and need validation.

• MOST of the time it's either insecurity OR out of annoying show off mode.
    But really this only applies to the people who constantly post like every day saying "my boyfriend did this" "I'm so lucky my girlfriend does.." If it's once in a while it's fine.

0|1
    0|0
    • Every day, 2 or 3 times a day?

• If it's every day more than likely. Then again it could be the honeymoon phase so can't reaaaaally knock them there.

• Not necessarily. I think it's more of a habit for young people, although some people get a rush when they get likes, this is a documented phenomena. And people can give too much information. I've actually seen stuff like a girl posted: "Yay! I put on my new leather harness and my boyfriend f*cked my brains out! Me happy now."

0|1
    0|0
    • Middle aged person.

And - eww! That is disgusting

• U know it but will still do it cuz
    1. Like to show off like it is competition.
    2. Taking lust for love
    3. Get in a relationship to complete you without knowing and understanding what it is.
    4. Do what everyone else is doing.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes. I think it's fine/okay to post certain things, like things you are proud of, or certain really nice dates or when you've finished genuinely having fun with them, and need an outlet to talk about it. Like, if you just got back from a particularly expensive date, or he surprised you with a picnic date in a secret area with a gorgeous view (personal favorite), and these things aren't like, ALL THE TIME, then it's fine. I personally believe it is totally fien to brag about the nice things in your life, but in moderation. Cuz if it's constant thing, then it's like you're trying to prove soemthing about your personal relationship to others, which practically scream insecurity all over yor profile picture. Cuz it's either braggy or showing off for the sake of showing off. But it's only a really big problem if it's almost always either questions, or a semi-negative subject, or when the post has negative or controversial tones, I believe that should be kept in private. But the issue with that is when it's an abusive relationship, unknown to everyone else, and these things can be either a subconscious or intential cry for help. So, it's really difficult to say, but since you are asking about insecurity and not whether it's a good idea or not, i'll say yes. Very much so, a sign of insecurity.
    The solution though is simple: try and be tolerant of these people. Don't engage them, just ignore. Unless it's very obvious it's a bad situation, in which case, reach out and ask.
    But even there, these people with insecurities need to pull themselves together on their own, of their own strength and will, or they'll just fall apart again. So, be tolerant, ignore them, and you'll have more peace of mind, and they'll probably cut the shit and get their act together. Won't be overnight, might take a while. but it'll happen.

0|0
    0|0
  • LOL I think some people are "relationship exhibitionists"... They openly talk about their relationships on social media, argue with boyfriends on it for everyone to read, make up, and talk about their "make up sex"... I'm not sure if it is a sign of insecurity or what, as I don't "get it" anyway... LOL

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not necessarily sure than it's a sign of insecurity but it is clearly an attention seeking behavior. I don't post about my relationships because my relationships are my business. If I want to tell someone about something going on in my relationship then I will single them out and talk to them.

1|0
    0|0
  • I post here, but not on social media. I'm not trying to hide our relationship but it's ours - not the worlds.

I get it when people are proud or excited about their SO and feel compelled to post.

However I think regular updates is a little odd. If you post doubts then yes you are insecure.

1|0
    0|0
  • Its a way to eliminate privacy that normally would exist in a relationship. Its not Facebooks business whether my girlfriend liked the movie I took her to or not. Yet we silly humans make it everybodys business to know what we argued about, how we made up, how many times we had sex etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • Can't be called as an insecurity, but this is a way of expression, though it's grounds are very weak... we tend to show the world that we too are going places or cool things are up in our lives... no matter how torn apart your relationship is, there is a constant projection of fake emotions on social media saying things are coll

1|0
    0|0
  • If you mean constantly posting pics of your significant other with different captions that are poorly created then yes 100% insecurity. If you mean they just put on their profile "in a relationship" with a few pics here or there then no.

1|0
    0|0
  • They want attention... People who are avoiding attention don't post shit about shit on social media. Some attention whores do it in mundane ways... look at who 'likes' and 'comments' their shit if you want to see what is the fuel for that fire.

Like nobody cares that basic bitch just got a latte, but someone will like her comment and write her about how pretty she's looking today.

1|1
    0|0
  • It's very immature. Like what is this 8th grade reality T. V? Talk to your partner not "friends" on social media who give likes and emojis and feedback to YOUR relationship and what YOU should do cause they know best. I break up with any girl who post our business online like that. Especially personal information just to get people to hate you from a one sided story.

0|0
    0|0
  • I been posting about my girlfriends narcissistic disorders because she needs some public shaming. For her particularly bad behavior. She is violent and got her own ass sent to jail with a black eye. Yes i went to jail too, but i tont take well to getting punced in the face. I'm trying to get her to break the no contact order. Brandon lee thomas on Facebook. Ad me! I'd me glad to confirm. .

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that you need to be confident in yourself and not rely on the comments of others, which I think social media can play a huge role in this. It also plays a role with pride and ego. I'm in a relationship. There can be pride with having a boyfriend but it can go too far. Those are two themes that I could see happening

0|0
    0|0
  • Not necessarily. But I think there's some truth behind girls who are overly proud of their relationships, that deep inside they're very insecure. If you constantly post quotes and sayings to justify your relationship, that's a big sign that you're insecure.

0|0
    0|0
    • And if it’s a guy doing it?

• Show All
    • Simps?

• Beta males, soyboys. The nice guys who put women in a pedestal and worship them. That's my definition of a simp.

• Insecurity no but not the healthiest way to deal with it bringing others in on the not so great part about your relationship... insecurities are typically just the intrusive acts of invading privacy... ie. hacking his/her page doing things like making post uplifting yourself in someone’s eyes forcefully that’s the only insecure act on social media besides doing things on his/her inbox

0|0
    0|0
  • It seems a bit double edged either way you look at it.
    In one way, it's a way of sharing. In another its a way of meeting new people.
    Guess, it's just in how you look at it.
    I also believe there is a definite right and wrong way of posting.

0|0
    0|0
  • Posting on Facebook and getting a bunch of likes is like sitting at the cafeteria table with all the cool guys and then realizing the cafeteria is in the mental hospital

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 83

• I think it shows confidence in the relationship when faced with potential disapproval but if they do that with every basic ass relationship, it means nothing.

If I post a romantic picture with a guy on my social media, I’m either planning to marry him or he’s holding me hostage.

1|2
    0|0
  • I don't necessarily believe it is an insecurity to post about relationships on social media. Social media is now included into the way we live our lives and its the means to share; instead of calling or message people one on one. I find that sharing one's daily activities has become more open - things that for many is an unnecessary glimpse into private life and moments.
    It is harder to keep privacy intact when it's a show case of everything from food to illnesses, gossip and shopping.

To tell people about the relationship is sometimes sharing out of pure joy, other times it can be pride. Sometimes revenge, and even less times because we're insecure.

I find insecurity about relationships end up in closed forums, on messenger, in anonymous threads, reddit, therapy pages, G@G or similar.

The need of the "tribe's" approval of one's status/life/relationship has, especially in the younger generation, created a greater and larger platform of opinions that ultimately can keep you unsettled, because what one friend says will be opposite to another's. Suddenly even strangers can make you or break you, and opinions of unrelated and unimportant people can creep in and destroy what is none of their business. Not because you started out insecure, but because so many thrive on others misfortune and you keep the door open by telling everyone about everything.

To allow a relationship's details to exist outside of social media, not secretly, but privately; it becomes what you both put in.
    When it's on social media, everyone else have access to the power of either your victory or your failure. And unless you know wholeheartedly that the people you have around you have your best interest at heart, the majority of your relationship shouldn't be that visible and detailed.

I don't believe social media is the reason why relationships fail, and shouldn't be blamed for it. I do believe, however, that it becomes a "village" decision in situations where you and your partner knows best.

To bounce off ideas and thoughts, yes. Share moments, anniversaries, special events ; sure.

To display everything, no. Keep your integrity ❤️

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends really. Flaunting your relationship is a bit logical and it's done by most. The problem is when it gets to a point where you over share the relationship and it's no longer a private matter. That's when it becomes a sign of insecurity. When you feel like you have to claim that person in the eyes of others. In a way saying "this is mine, back off." Then at that point it's no longer healthy exposure for the relationship.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don’t think it necessarily is. To me it’s often alarming when people who are generally very active on social media never post any pictures together because it starts coming across as though they are trying to hide the relationship. Posting pics together excessively could come across weird too though. It has to be a balance

0|1
    0|0
  • Not necessarily. But the more people point out how happy they are, the less I believe it.

This goes for people who constantly post about it, I don't mean to say that people shouldn't talk about their relationship ever.

1|2
    0|0
  • I've wondered that myself, my boyfriend's brother's girlfriend always puts their relationship on the map! Knowing her and him personally, their relationship has been on and off. My sister also did this with her then fiance, he was abusive and cheated on her before calling it quits. I think people are subconciously trying to cover up anything wrong to make it look like roses.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's either a). A sign that your relationship is going really well or b). A sign that your relationship sucks and that you use your partner only for showing off on social media and just to say that "oh, yes I do have a boyfriend"

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't know, but most of my friends with boyfriends don't flaunt their relationship, they like to keep things private. There is this one girl from high school though who always posts pictures with her boyfriend, but it's understandable because he's her first boyfriend ever.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some people do it for the attention, a way of showcasing that they're better than everyone else.
    Others, they do it to get back at people, like to make everyone jealous.
    And some people just want to show how much they love someone, show the world how beautiful their partner is. It all depends on the person.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes they r just crazy inlove n so proud of eachother.
    But sadly sometimes it is insecurity coz they need to feel better about their shitty relationship somehow. They know things arnt going well between them but they refuse to accept it n even worse their embarrassed to let people see that their not happy n they overcompensate.
    Plus it's also a tactic to keep over potentials away.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't know. I like posting about my boyfriend LOL. Like when we try a new place to eat or just when we both look cute.
    I guess it can get tiring if the couple are constantly fluffing it up or are at each other’s throats.
    I think it’s best to do what you want and to keep the content of your timeline to your tastes. If you don’t like it, unfollow.

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's casual stuff is fine.

I think posting every day multiple times how much you love them is a red flag. As well as pics of you making out all the time.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would think it is and isn't. Some people just are so proud to show off their significant other. But i can see people doing that to say hey back off he's mine! or some shit like that. in case others are trying to get with them. but no matter what you put out there, people are selfish as FUCK XD

0|0
    0|0
  • I personally don't have social media and yeah I would say it is a sign. Social media is used to stay connected but also for attention; if my partner felt the need to always share our relationship, it's probably for the "aww" and "you're so cute together" comments. Harmless in a way but if it's constant it implies he always needs others to validate our relationship, which I would have a problem with.

1|0
    0|0
  • I share things on social media like of my so and mines adventures we share. Also I'll share if he started a new job or did something awesome so his family can be proud of him like me. Its definitely not an insecure thing.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes it shows everyone that you aren't sure about the strength of your relationship. Major Insecurities!!!

2|0
    0|0
  • no its not, most of the time people are trying to find others with the same out look, I'm into MFM threesomes and I am always interested in others, and how they got into to them,

0|0
    0|0
  • Not at all, especially if you're happy to be in one and want to keep everyone posted.

But I get what you're saying: maybe someone is doing that so others can know that their SO is taken.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, people who are always flaunting their relationship by posting pics of their S/O are childish and will probably not last very long

2|0
    0|0
  • No it's kinda a good thing, that you or your partner are really proud for having you 😊...
    PS:too much of everything is bad, because no one really give a fuck about anyone else life!!!
    Bitter but the truth

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes