Is my boyfriend actually poor?

When we started dating, he was giving me money every month... like 500, 600, 700 euros. Taking me on trips and shopping. Even though I work. Now he gave me his card. I don't plan to use it. I told him it's stupid and makes me feel uncomfortable. He is planning a vacation for my birthday. It will also be one year since we started dating.

But he quit on the idea of buying a new car. He sold his old one and he told me he has to get used to public transportation cause it's cheap. He also sold a building and is starting to build a new one next year. Is he just investing all of his resources in that project or is he actually a bit poor? He only has one apartment and he is basically taking care of his parents. They have their own apartment and house but their income is very small. His bro doesn't have his own place, he lives at his girlfriend's now. I didn't know these things before. Is he telling me now cause I cost him too much?
  • Yes, he is kinda poor
  • No, he is ok
  • He is investing in that project, he has to save
    Vote C
  • He is getting poor
    Vote D
  • He doesn't wanna spend that much on you anymore
    Vote E
  • He doesn't really love you
    Vote F
  • Stop overthinking
    Vote G

113

Most Helpful Guys

• Years ago there was a story about a multi-millionaire who tried to pay a shoe-shine boy with a $100 bill. The kid couldn't make change so the millionaire walked away without paying.
    The moral is that thrift is unrelated to wealth. In fact I would suggest the poor are relatively more generous than the rich, FWIW.

• He was poor as a child. He grew up in the countryside with his grandparents while his mom was working abroad to send them some money and his dad left them.

• i think he invested to much in you to make you happy and honestly if he treats you right above that you should be proud and respectful of him, i hope you are not with him cause of money and if not even if is poor, you sould be even more proud cause he tried to give you what he had and what he didn't have

• I really love him, but I wanna know what future will be like... as we live in different countries, he wants me to move there at some point and I don't speak his language, it will take time for me to learn and to be able to get a job there. If he can't take care of me, we don't stand a chance.

Most Helpful Girl

• What is the issue of asking him?

• It's so hard to get him to talk, and we broke up for a month... I kinda don't want to start some conversation which could lead to conflict.

• Do you not have any money of your own? I would not be comfortable having someone give me 700 euros monthly like I'm their sugar baby or personal escort...

• I do. I have a job. But if I move in with him, which he wants to be before New year, I won't be able to work anymore.