Can men and women just be friends, generally speaking?

• Yes.
  • No.

3154

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes its possible but a lot of people are thirsty and lonely and will relationship/fuck zone someone instead of appreciating their friendship.

• Dude, mutual friend zoning really exists. I know my guy friends see me for me and want to hang out with me bc they call me weird/goofball/dork, laughing always, talk about anything and we enjoy playing pool, hiking, camping, playing pubg or nobody minds me taking lead in what I want to do for the group or when I’m with any 2 males or I don’t mind doing whatever the guys wanna do. I also think it’s mainly because I can find literally anything to talk about in order to make a fast connection... But then I also know when to stfu or when to fight back or just be a playful ass lol. I guess I try to be extra friendly bc I require friend approval? But I mean, not everyone is into the same shit and not everyone’s gonna like u. I’m high, hi.

Most Helpful Guys

• It's so commonplace here in Japan that it surprises me that it's a question. That includes close friendships among friends who find each other attractive (but maybe not dating because they're not each other's "personality types").

In my case I have close male and female friends split just about right down the middle (as many close female friends as males). And sometimes I'll even go to dinner with them, and my wife doesn't mind, because we're just friends. And sometimes my wife will go out for dinner with one of her guy friends, and I don't mind because they're just friends. It's very normal here but somehow bizarre in some other cultures.

• I think one of the reasons it is so common here compared to, say, the US is because:

1) There's no "cooties" thing segregating the two sexes from childhood, so guys and girls will often play together even as little kids (ex: play video games at each other's houses) and become lifelong friends, and that teaches from a very early age how friendships are valuable between the opposite sexes.

2) Friends tend to have out in rather large friend groups. That'll tend to invite a more eclectic mix of people, including some who want to bring their own friends and introduce them to the group, and they could be male or female. It kind of cascades.

3) It seems easier for people to find dates here sometimes. Like just about every one of my friends will not be absent a date for long periods of time. So there's no need to obsess and fall for an attractive friend of the opposite sex if you can easily get a date elsewhere.

• @sunsweet By the way, have you seen this film: Starship Troopers?
      https://youtu.be/zPYuV_jGk7M

I love that film, and I love how the opposite sexes interact there. There is definitely no ignorance of the fact of male and female, but they cooperate and work together. The politics is a bit imperialistic and perhaps a parody of USA foreign affairs, but the gender relations are so interesting to me... and rather idealistic.

I would like to see a future like that at least in terms of how men and women interact with each other and befriend each other. It seems reasonably "realistic" to me, in spite of being in a science fiction setting.

• I think it'll get there, just right now people are focusing way too much on racial and gender differences. I have a black friend who struggled to be accepted by other black people because he "didnt act black enough." Now that he's changed the way he talks and switched his music to more modern rap, more people accept him, and it's not just a music thing. Right now everyone is trying to celebrate diversity by keeping people diverse.

I have a friend who learned I liked to cosplay and she wanted to do so to, but we were talking about cultural appropriation and I told her a portion of Japanese cosplayers really hate Americans for taking the idea too. She was conflicted whether to do it or not after that. Ironically though, cosplay comes from games but especially anime, and anime was appropriated from Disney because it was inspired by the cartoons and large eyes.

I watched the trailer, but not the movie. I like the sense of rapport between the characters. I think it will get there.

• I honestly don't think so unless the dude is really gay or she is really butch. Reasons... friendship is two people with a common interest. If the common interest has anything to do with just getting attention or sex... I'm going to call bullshit. Nothing I hate more than guys complaining about being friendzoned (don't approach them as a friend then). But a woman that pretty much just lets a guy oogle over her and claims to have no idea that he wants to fuck is just as much bullshit... especially if she is a taken woman.

Friendship is a common interest... it's why new friends will share past stories to see how much in common they have. Again if its just a chick telling her stupid problems and him sympathizing with all of it with eyes darting to body parts... what would make a person think that is a friend in either case?

So I'm not saying they can't... but I am saying usually they aren't even though that will be the claim.