Is monogamy dead?

Let’s face it. Relationships and society in general isn’t what it was like in the past. Youth in America (I can’t speak for Europe) have a freedom they’ve never been exposed to before. Is this new millennium a beginning to the end of monogamous relationships?
What was I just called? A dumbwut? Lmao

3469

Most Helpful Girls

• Not in my opinion. I for one could never be in a poly relationship. As my morals of relationships are contrasted with that system. I would never want to share my guy like that. Or myself. Ew... But if others want to, go ahead. you're just not for me.

• No. Do not believe the hype there is no such thing as hook-up culture. Millennials are actually engaging in less causal sex then previous generations (bummer for us, if you ask me) and Gen Z looks to be carrying on the trend. The irony of it all is the people using click-bait headlines to call down the next generation for the sake of newspapers are the people who came of age in the Free Love Movement. Boomers as a generation were having casual sex left and right and don't let them try to tell you any different. Monogamous relationships are still the vast majority, we are just giving visibility for those who choose to exist outside of it.

Most Helpful Guys

• It's mainly hookup culture and people prefering lust over love that makes them fuck around instead of want to settle down. Ever since I was 12 I've wanted to have a real, stable relationship, compared to others who seemingly didn't even care about breaking up and appeared to cherish it instead. The simple way to thin that out is to just refuse dating anyone who's ever been into hookups or one night stands, like a lot of people actually do

• Good point but hooking up is almost like an itch. You could marry girl who’s never done it, than by her 40th birthday she’s dressing up like her teenage daughter, trying to hook up with guys half her age.

And I wouldn’t say love, but commitment. Something even I would agree I have trouble with.

• It comes down to how someone sees sex and intimacy. If they don't care about it they'll treat it casually, while someone who cares about it/values it will treat it more special. It's like diamonds, some people think they're special and others consider them worthless gems, and neither wants to back down and see that everyone diffrent in their morals and values, because that would be an insult to their own values, etc...

• I mean yeah I agree. People who have lots of casual sex do not value sex. However you can value sex but make a mistake here and there - which is what I think most people do. Alcohol is usually to blame.

• I think the practice of devotion to a single partner has been dead for decades, however I don't think cheating or amorous relationships are standard. There's no certainly no societal emphasis on the value of one's chastity anymore and I think that leads to what OP is talking about. Too much casual sex or relationships that aren't taken seriously. It's more common to fuck up (literally and figuratively) a hand full of times before "finding the right one". Personally I think today's dating culture and the attitude around sex is pretty toxic. I'm not too happy about it either.

• good to see some young still think :)

• Maybe the both of you should re read the first sentence of your opinion.

• @swolecook I'm not sure I get what you're saying. Was I off on something?