How do you keep a relationship that’s hit a wall and needs some work?

Andiepandie1990
My boyfriend appears to be taking space. We’ve been together for 2 and a half years but recently we’ve hit a bit of a bump in the road. He nearly wanted to end things, but he gained perspective and realized that we just need to develop as a couple and take time apart. He was always way too dependent on me but now he’s constantly busy with college.

I've bad anxiety so when he’s not texting me at all, I freak out. In person he does seem fine though and the spark seems present but he just seems very stressed. He does message me once a day, it’d be worse if he ignored me altogether. But when he messages me he doesn’t seem to care enough to ask me details into how my day was, but maybe he’s saving everything until we see each other in person?
Should I just keep giving him space until he’s back to himself?
I don’t want to push him or cause another problem because I understand he’s stressed with assignments, this is a vital year for him in college
3
1