Since turning 21, what is the longest you've gone from the end of one relationship to the start of the next?

I'm curious how long people have gone between relationships after turning 21.

Some people seem to quickly get into a new relationship after one ends while others go years between relationships.

If you've never been in a relationship since turning 21 or are still in the same relationship you were when you turned 21 please choose the last option. I'm interested in how quickly people over 21 get into a new relationship after the prior one ended.
  • Less than 6 months
  • More than 6 months but less than a year
  • About a year
    Vote C
  • About 2 years
    Vote D
  • 3-5 years
    Vote E
  • More than 5 years
    Vote F
  • I'm under 21, haven't ended a relationship since I turned 21, or just want results
    Vote G

83

Most Helpful Girls

• If the feeling is right. I would not wait even one day. An ex is an ex for a reason. But, if I loved that person a lot. It’s usually a shorter time that I wait because I’m trying to mask the pain with a new person. I know it’s not good to do. If I didn’t love him much. Then, I’m in no hurry because no pain involved. I know this is probable the opposite for most people. Everyone is different!

• I think your approach probably is the opposite of most people. I think most people need longer after a particularly painful breakup.

I agree with you that if someone good comes along you should jump on that opportunity no matter how long it's been since the breakup. That happened to me once and lots of people thought it was just a rebound relationship but it wasn't. It became a serious long term relationship.

I did once do a rebound relationship and that lasted less than a year because we really weren't a good match. She was rebounding too though, so I guess we both helped each other even though we really didn't belong together at that time. I learned from that though, so I don't think I'd ever let that happen again.

• Somewhat between 6 and 7 months was the longest, about 3,5 months the shortest period of time I've been single.

• It sounds like you recover pretty quickly from breakups if you're ready to get back into one within a few months. I'm usually like that too.

• It usually takes me about half a year to recover from a breakup. And yes, I wasn't over my ex as I started the relationship after 3,5 months. Had led to me feeling toren apart between being lovesick and feeling guilty towards my partner because of it for about a year inside the relationship...

Most Helpful Guy

• For serious relationships, 7 years was my longest but I had casual relationships within that time. My longest time with no relationships at all was 3 years but that was an strange time in my life as I had some serious mental issues happening to me. Under normal conditions I usually have a new girl within a month or 2.