Do you think it is rude too ask a non-native English speaker if they can speak English?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No. Why would it be?

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

Because it might make the non-native English speaking person feel dumb or confused if they can not speak English or if there English is not very good

• Show All
    • 4d

English is considered the universal language it might make a person feel uneducated not knowing English.
      Most non-english speaking countries teach English at schools

• 3d

"I have never been taught this foreign language and therefore don't know it. That makes me feel uneducated."
      Thank god I'm not that person.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• It would only be rude if the non-native English speaker spoke English, and then the native English speaker bellowed rudely: "What's dat? I can't understand your foreign tongue! Speak English for goodness' sake!"

0|0
    0|0
  • asking is not that rude, he can say yes or no but have the choice

0|0
    0|0
  • No. If you can only speak English, then you need to be able to know if they can, too.

0|0
    0|0
  • No..

0|0
    0|0
  • No..

0|0
    0|0
  • Why would that be rude?

0|1
    0|0
  • Not unless you also don't speak their language

0|0
    0|0
  • Not rude

0|0
    0|0
  • Bcause u donno their language u can ask

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• No. It just a way to try and find a common language to communicate in. There's nothing rude about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the context. When you’re talking to them? No. When they’re minding their own business and not talking to you? Yes, very

0|1
    0|0
  • Meant no

0|0
    0|0
  • No why would it be rude?

0|0
    0|0
  • No, especially if they worked in tourism industry

0|0
    0|0
  • Well if they speak to you in English, they obviously can speak English so I don't understand the point of this question

Unless you mean asking a random person on the street if they can speak English, then that isn't rude.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes