My boyfriend doesn't like saying I love you or doing romantic things, what should I do?

I've talked to him about this and he told me that he isn't a romantic person and he doesn't like doing cheesy or mushy things. He also told me that he doesn't like saying i love you / i miss you because he feels that it loses its meaning if it's said too much (he barely says it to me). He also said that he's not good at showing affections. One last thing, he texts me really little (around 5 texts from him a day and slow replies) and he says it's because he's busy and also he doesn't feel that a relationship should rely too much on texts because then we'll run out of topics to say. I've told him I feel neglected and unloved and he has explained everything above to me. Now I don't know what to do... I want to stay with him because I love him but sometimes I feel very unloved and not in a relationship because of all this.
Updates:
4d
What's with all the replies except for grayarea's lol. Seems like I came back to this site to see it change - for the worse.

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 10

• I would tell you that I love you multiple times a day. I would text you till my phone broke. I lost my late wife and I felt like I didn't tell her that I loved her enough. You may tell him that one of these days you might not be around anymore and he will never get a chance to say it again.

0|0
    0|0
    • 3d

You would drive her off on the first week of knowing her.

• Show All
    • 3d

So, whose going to miss you?

• 3d

I hate to tell you this. . . But that's neediness. It's clear you're grieving, but ig your grief determines how you conduct yourself in your relationships? That's a form of neediness.

• ... You either accept how he is and stay with him, or you don't. If you think that this stuff you're talking about is THAT BIG of an issue for you (even though it's completely ridiculous), then tell him you can't be with him. He doesn't have to change to suit you, just like you don't have to change to suit him if you don't want to.

0|0
    0|0
    • 3d

but shouldn't he be willing to at least put in some effort to do things that make me happy.. I've told him that it saddens me and yet he's not doing anything

• Show All
    • 2d

what do you mean by "what more i can do for him"? i put in a lot of effort into this relationship and spend a lot of time for him / with him, but it's mostly one sided. I'm always the one initiating conversations, asking him about his interests, remembering things about him etc. On the other hand he doesn't show much interest.

• 1d

Maybe you guys just aren't super compatible?

• Find a new boyfriend... this one has attachment problems.

0|0
    0|1
    • 3d

Awww, you children are so cute when you don't know what you're talking about.

• I do agree with his stance on the matter regarding text messages, texting and social media are destroying our relationships these days and they help with nothing really.
    But it does seem to me like he is trapped in a shell of insecurity.
    He does not want to involve himself so much in "lovey-dovey" things mostly because he is afraid to do so. He is afraid of the thought of breaking away from the shell and in doing so, loosing the perfect little habitat he has come to know so well.
    That is not to say that he can't or won't do so eventually, but he needs to realize - even on his own that compromise for the good of the other is always necessary in any healthy relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Raise his taxes!

0|0
    0|0
  • Read "The Five Love Languages" with him.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dump him.

0|0
    0|2
  • get a new guy

0|0
    0|0
  • some guys are like that

0|0
    0|0
  • Rape him