Are you an introvert or do you suffer from social anxiety? Do you know the difference?

There are many here who claim to be introverts which gets in the way of their relationships. Are you really an introvert or do you suffer from social anxiety which requires medical attention. The difference below:

Symptoms of Social Anxiety Disorder

People with social anxiety disorder usually experience significant emotional distress in the following situations:
-Being introduced to other people

-Being teased or criticized

-Being the center of attention

-Being watched while doing something

-Meeting people in authority ("important people")

-Most social encounters, especially with strangers

-Going around the room (or table) in a circle and having to say something

-Interpersonal relationships, whether friendships or romantic

Introvert symptoms
1. dont like small talk
2. introverts dont go to parties to meet new people they go to hang out w/people they already know.
3. you feel alone in a crowd
4. networking makes you feel phony. Introverts like authenticity.
5. You've been called too intense.
6. easily distracted and overwhelmed in environments with excess stimulation. Meanwhile the extrovert is easily bored.
7. downtime makes you feel more productive
8. giving a talk in front of 500 people is less stressful than mingling with people afterwards.
9. On a plane, bus, or subway you sit at the end not the middle
10. you shut down after being active for too long.
11. You're often in relationships with extroverts
12. you rather be an expert at one thing than try to do everything
13. you avoid shows that involve audience participation
14. you have low blood pressure
15. you screen calls even from friends. you dont answer the phone even from people you like. when you get the energy for a conversation you call them back.

Are you an introvert or do you suffer from social anxiety? Do you know the difference?
  • I'm definitely an introvert
    Vote A
  • I have social anxiety
    Vote B
  • I have both
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• I'm a introvert but don't have social anxiety. In my mind all humans are my personal slaves.

I own them.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yeeey! I'm both. :-D And probably much more.
    You see, ladies? The full package, with some extras. It's not good deal, it's steal.

1|0
    0|0
    • 2d

Same here I'm both

• Show All
    • 2d

No it is not awesome πŸ˜†. I hate ut

• 2d

Yeah, that was sarcasm. :-) Do you remember when I was writting about me having something extra? Well…that's part of it.

• I'm slightly introverted. That changes when I can talk about "my subject", than I open up even in front of a large group :D

0|0
    0|0
  • I have anxiety but not in social situations. Definitely more introverted though.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm an introvert with extrovert tendencies.

1|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• I am an introvert but I don't have social anxiety. Being introverted means someone gets their energy and strength from alone time. I can be very social when I need to be (in fact, in my job most people would probably assume I'm extroverted because I have to be social, outgoing, and work with people on a daily basis), it just feels very mentally draining so I need some time to myself afterwards in order to "recharge."

1|1
    0|0
    • 2d

Omg same, people at my job can't tell I'm an introvert. I put on a good show in front of them which is very draining.

• 2d

Exactly, that's why it's just important for us to take that time for ourselves too. For me, I enjoy my drives home every day because I can listen to music and I'm by myself so that's my form of "relaxation." Lol

• 2d

Me too omg I thought I was a weirdo πŸ˜‚πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

• Both, but I know what you mean, people use those terms like they mean the same thing and that gives introversion a bad imagine. Oh, introversion has no "symptoms" because it's not a disease.

1|0
    0|0
    • 2d

Right, a lot of people got it mixed up including myself. Social anxiety is a disorder while introversion is just, well introversion lol.. yeah I didn't mean to put symptoms under introvert. i ment signs

• 2d

I have both

• I'm a shy extravert :) meaning that I gain energy from people around me, but that I only become really social when I'm comfortable with the kind of people that are around me. When it's the wrong kind of people I shut down.

0|0
    0|0
  • i have both introvert and extrovert i dont like chat with all people i just like different persons

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm a bit of both. I'm definitely an introvert and certain situations give me social anxiety

0|0
    0|0
  • Introvert

1|0
    0|0
  • Being an introvert and not being social has caused me to have social anxiety.

Sometimes its hard dating my boyfriend as an introvert. he's very much an extrovert. When we started daying he was completely bewildered by the concept that I needed "recharge" time. Then he saw what happened if I dot get time alone. I get anxious, short tempered, emotional, tired and stressed.

0|0
    0|0
    • 2d

Omg me too! every guy I've ever been with were extroverts. Im not sure why but my social anxiety is why I have difficulty dating.

• Show All
    • 2d

At the beginning of our relationship my boyfriend thought i could just have recharge time hanging out with him and it took him a while to realize i need 100% alone time. Now three years in, i can manage recharge time with him as well.

• 2d

Wow you two been together for 3 years? that's really good. i tend not to last long because I need so much alone. my longest relationship was 2.5 years

Recommended myTakes