What is an Emotional Affair?

What is an Emotional Affair?
When did talking to someone inappropriate become cheating? It makes no sense to me.
Updates:
Sucks I posted same question twice my phone died My Bad

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• An emotional affair is often what leads to cheating.

4|2
    0|0
    • Show All
    • Contributes, friendships are cool. But if the friends replaces the mate for emotional needs it’s a dangerous path to walk. And leads to heartbreak , not worth the pain it can cause.

• I know, I lived it.

Most Helpful Girls

• If the OTHER person THINKS you're interested in them MORE than you REALLY are... it's kinda messed up. It's bad enough when people do that and they AREN'T seeing anyone else!!

1|0
    0|0
    • Be straight up. I'm pretty open and I tell people about my "not-relationship-relationship" LOL and they get it. Seriously though, if the relationship IS very serious, it's more needed to tell the new person.

• THANK YOU!

• Seeking comfort in another man/woman.
    I think that’s what emotional cheating Is. I don’t think talking to another person inappropriately is technically cheating.

0|1
    1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 31

• An emotional affair is not having a sexual affair involving actual intercoarse and sexual touching of between a party whom is involved in a sexual relationship with an outside group, the outside group having previously agreed to refrain from sexual acts outside of their agreement. I see people conflating talking as sex which is wrong, therefore adding that emotional affairs is not a viable concept. The mistake is that the emotional affair is misrepresented.

The question is: What is an emotional affair?

The term is used colloquially to conceptually form simularity between an actual sexual affair and a "love affair", then to prescribe condemnation or blame relative to cheating. The main reason being that an emotional affair precedes a sexual affair.

A emotional affair is to break the non verbal or verbal conditions which the party has agreed to base the stipulations for compliance to a romantic contract. Each party member explicity or implicity makes stipulations for one another to abide to for them to abide and continue within their relationship. These include and are not limited to, behaviours, thoughts and participation or a lack there of in certain events. As well as any other condition agreed upon.

It can be assumed that in entering such an agreement, there is an implicit stipulation that one does not commit murder against the other. The fact that a term needs to be explicity proclaimed is false. One must conclude through basic rationality that one must discern and abide to the implicit stipulations, unless they are explicity and implicity disagreed upon prior to a violation and mutually understood. One is not subject to comply to a implicit demand if that demand can be discerned to be something mutually indiscernable or unagreeable. Such an act may mean that the "contract"
    is terminated due to violation which removes all other agreed upon stipulations adhering to this specific contract.

So far thats what it is... I could go into it a great length though...

1|0
    0|0

• To be more brief, it can be convoluted by how its portrayed. What people mean by it is that you're investing your emotions into somebody whom is not the person deserving and entitled to those same emotions. You are acting loveless towards your mate, or in some way inhospitable.

Construing sex as talk is obviously wrong but they share same similarities in how they are performed. Obviously, you wouldn't treat a white lie with the same punishment as murder. They differentiate in degree immensely to the crime.

but im going to cut itcshort fron there and hope that covers enough

• Show All
    • @Tomblebee technically a psychic. The product of an advanced breeding program. She’s 213 at the time of the movie, but when she was 16 she was fuckin hotttttt.

• It doesn't really matter whether you call it "cheating" or something else. If it is something that you must hide from your partner, you are violating their trust in you, and you know it is wrong.

5|2
    0|0
  • It's what you do with your beta orbiters whenever you aren't getting your brains screwed out by Chad Thundercock.

You know, talking, spending time, flirting, being "just good friends," that shit.

It's kind of like you're cheating on both guys. And yet you expect to build a happy life and happy marriage one day when all you do is spread misery and break hearts. LOL.

0|5
    0|0
  • It can easily be that. An emotional affair is when a person not only invests more of their emotional energy outside their marriage but also receives emotional support and companionship from the new relationship. In an emotional affair, a person feels closer to the other party and may experience increasing sexual tension or chemistry.

2|1
    0|0
  • It can easily be that. An emotional affair is when a person not only invests more of their emotional energy outside their marriage but also receives emotional support and companionship from the new relationship. In an emotional affair, a person feels closer to the other party and may experience increasing sexual tension or chemistry.

3|1
    0|0
  • I think it happens when one or two people are not happy
    in a relationship and one starts having feelings for the other
    it could include or not include sexting but i really want love
    i like to love a girl and not just talk to her for the sexting or
    the cybering sexual over email. But i don't want come between
    two people who are already in a relationship and are together
    i don't want to be the second stepping stone or boy toy of her life.

1|0
    0|0
  • Its actually a really good question. I wouldn't say the short answer is it isn't though.. Id say the opposite, to some degree.

But I only wanted to say that and I might have a think about that.

1|0
    0|0
  • Emotional affair is when a man turns to a woman other than wife to tell personal stuff about marriage and some things he doesn't tell wife. Maybe hugs her or even kisses her. Wants to call her first.

4|0
    0|0
  • Talking to someone differently than if your SO were present. Talking about problems in your relationship to other girls. Sexting.

1|1
    1|0
  • When two people are emotionally attached like in a romantic way. Yet each of them already have a bf/gf. Talking inappropriately isn't cheating in my eyes.

1|0
    2|0
  • Usually:
    If she's talking to a guy about intimate details, "nothing to worry about"
    If he's talking to a girl about similar details "OMFG HE CHEATING!!! RNSHGRL:OSGJLR:DF!!!"

0|2
    0|0
  • When your partner stop invest her emotions in the well being of the relationship and instead invest them with another person, for X reasons that comes down to a relationship crisis.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's what drama queens who want to accuse their partner of cheating, invented for partners who didn't actually cheat.

1|1
    1|0
  • Well, if you have a boyfriend and you keep flirting, it's a promiscuous behavior, if you don't tell him it, it's cheating.
    If you need to flirt with more people because one isn't enough to you, think about polylove before cheating, it's my advice

0|0
    0|0
  • It means one is seeking emotional support and companionship from a source outside the relationship, which in good times would be sought from within the relationship. Clearly actionable words like "I love you" are not necessary for emotional cheating. The emotions of love could easily be communicated by the amount of time the allegedly cheating parties spend talking together.

For hetrosexual couples, there's an unwritten rule that guys can look for such emotional support from guys but not from girls.

0|1
    0|0
  • When it lead to actual sex. It’s bad. When your married anyway

2|0
    1|0
    • Thumbs Downer... Not sure why you did that. So an emotional affair that leads to sex, is OK?

• To me, It means having a connection with someone such that they hold a place of priority in your life and which feels threatening to your partner.

So a person could talk to their X because they share kids, and even get some priority time due to all involved, but the emotional disconnect should be in place. This is not EF.

An EF would be you have a choice to go to a play with your boyfriend, but in your heart and mind you'd rather like to go rock climbing with your buddy because you have such good chemistry, or you love his kids more than your.

I was found gilty of an EF, didn't know what it was...

0|0
    0|0
  • Okay, so it's not really entirely cheating in the traditional sense of the word, but let me throw a scenario atcha.
    You catch your boyfriend in a series of chat rooms/sext conversations with various people. The interactions are just flirtatious, bordering phone sex (mostly dirty flirting), but he's 100% never met with any of them, nor plans to. Or let's just say that he's been speaking to an ex a lot more lately, no heavy flirtation like the others, but they've both been saying to one another that that miss each other.
    Is this not a problem in your eyes? I get that it's not technically what we call cheating, but I feel we just use the phrase "emotional cheating/affair" because we've yet to create an actual term for it.

0|0
    0|0
  • i do not see that talking inappropriate could be cheating. you are then just talking.

1|0
    1|0
  • I think it happens when two people aren't close or happy with
    whom they are with in a relationship. I've talked online to some
    girl from Canada over Yahoo Messenger , she had a boyfriend
    and had kids to him but was not happy, it was never nothing sexual
    but it was getting to the point we were getting attached to each other
    he wanted to marry her but she was not too much into marrying him
    so i quit the online communication with her cause i felt something
    more than just a online friendship , she was wanting to talk with me
    when he was not around and she would only talk to me when he was
    working yes it was going to turn into something i felt it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Emotional affairs are what women call fucking around on their husband when they don't intend to actually leave him.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think its wrong to give your heart to another if you trusted it with someone else.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cause if it were okay you would not have guilty conscience

0|0
    0|0
  • It's when you have a romantic connection to another, but you don't act on it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Would you be ok with your SO talk about sex and stuff with someone else?

0|0
    0|0
  • that could be it. toying with peoples mind

2|0
    0|0
  • Sorry, I think double post?

0|0
    0|0
  • Cheating does not just mean sleeping with someone.

0|0
    0|0
  • All the crap things women want to do

0|0
    0|0
  • I love it when ugly girls feel confident enough to cheat

Gives me an excuse to talk about their hideous looks 😒

0|0
    1|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 20

• Emotional affair is a relationship more than friendship. You turn to this person about your relationship problems and more...

0|0
    0|0
  • An emotional affair is when you feel like the affection and attention you get from your partner isn't enough, so you seek it elsewhere, usually resulting in falling for someone else. Just talking isn't necessarily cheating, depends what you're talking about. Are you using affectionate language, telling someone else that you love them, and generally saying things to them you'd only really tell a partner? It can even get to the point where you start neglecting your partner in favor of this other person and their company. If you suddenly start prioritizing someone else over your partner, because you want attention and affection elsewhere, I'd call it emotional cheating.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pictures Aiza Khan and Danish Taimoor. The lady is Aiza Khan, she is a Pakistani actress. She works in Pakistani drama. She is married and a mother of 2. She is sitting with her husband with her Danish Taimoor who is also a Pakistani actor. Even though they are still young but their love story is an inspiration.
    The other two pictures are from her drama called, "Koi Chand Rakh," which I watch every Thursday. One is a selfie.

Regarding your question, Karan Johar made a movie on this called, "KANK" which is the short form of Kabhi Alvida na Kehna.

Sometimes, people are in a loveless marriage, they are not treated right and the affair gives them hope.

Human beings and human world is confusing.

It is like playing with words.

0|0
    0|0
  • Talking to someone and leading them ON, while not telling them you are IN A RELATIONSHIP with someone else!

1|3
    0|0
  • Depends what they're saying. If, for example, they're promising to leave their current partner, or saying they love the other more, that's cheating to me.
    I would prefer my partner to fuck a girl while drunk, whose namd he doesn't even remember, than to have him faithful but loving someone else.

1|2
    0|0
  • I think it's when two people are deeply close bonded to each other in a romantic way. Thy share a lot of emotions with them and spend lots of time together and personal, intimate moments but they can't be physical for some reason what is holding them back.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nothing wrong with having friendships with the opposite sex. But having friendships and having an emotional affair are very different. Emotional isn’t just talking but having feelings for this person beyond being friends, confiding in them and even maybe talking about being intimate, hiding the messages or phone calls from your current partner. Therefore those few things would be having an emotional affair. They can be more dangerous then just cheating. My opinion of course.

0|1
    0|0
  • When you confide personal and intimate details about your honest emotions that you normally reserve for your partner. Emotional cheating connects the souls, spirits, hearts and mind... the intimacy with those connections is often harder to break than simple sexual connections.

Getting naked is easy, being honest and vulnerable is a completely different monster.

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s worst then physical cause then develop feelings for person your Lusting for. Then person your with.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you are emotionally connected to someone other than your significant other, its cheating; maybe not physically, but emotionally.

0|0
    0|0
  • Where two people have the same FEELINGS for each other, but are in a relationship with someone else. I hate that. It I Get a boyfriend I'll make sure he has the same feelings as me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have been emotionally cheated on. My ex started opening up about our relationship to another woman. He would confide in her. He would go to her because he felt like he couldn’t come to me. He started hiding his phone from me, that’s when I became suspicious. Then I found out he started telling her things like he would kiss her if he didn’t have a girlfriend. Started saying things like whoever ends up with her I s going to be very lucky. That all made me feel like shit. An emotional affair takes time and emotions to build. I think it’s even worse than physical cheating.

1|3
    0|0
  • an affair that involves emotions😎
    #captainobvious

Sorry i couldn't help being a troll😅

0|0
    0|0
  • It all depends on how you are talking to this person and your body language is important too.

0|0
    0|0
  • No such thing.

1|1
    3|2
  • When you start having feelings for this person.

0|2
    0|0
  • Lots of insecure people here

0|1
    0|0
  • Talking dirty is also wrong

0|0
    0|0
  • Emotionally having fun with someone

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know