Is it important to share the same political views in a relationship?

641

What Guys Said 41

• To an extent yes. I think it's a good thing to have many of the same values and opinions to avoid unnecessary many conflicts and disagreement. It's not like you've to be agree all the time, but being agree often is an advantage. A strictly religious person that wants a partner who follows the same lifestyle may be too disagree with a none-religious for instance. Same with politics. If you've children for instance, a liberal may like the government to pay for the healthcare or give them disability benefits if they needs it and a conservative may think it's bad. Some may believe it spoils their children and wants to raise their children in a way the left-wing may find too harsh.

I for instance wants to date a childfree pro-life person because I don't want children myself, I finds contraception very important and don't want a partner supporting abortion. I may be surprised and end up in a relationship so it's possible for an unwanted pregnancy and the person demanding abortion. I would in a situation like that divorce/leave if I couldn't better the situation. I wants to avoid pro-choicers in dating because they may make unnecessary conflicts if an accident happen.

• I don't think so. I think having differing political opinions can cause some friction, but in a relationship with two mature, and intelligent, adults can actually help the relationship and keep things interesting. Two mature and intelligent adults should be able to have healthy discussion about their differing beliefs and maybe even learn a thing or two from each other.

• You can think what you want. But you have to be able to respect other's opinions too even if they differ from your own one.

• I wouldn't date a social justice warrior / progressive so it's somewhat important. Values and similar world views are actually extremely important for a great connection so I do think it matters.

• Somewhat.
    But if we can't have similar view, at least dont try to degrade their views or force our views.

Many times in relationship they dont talk such things atall.

• Not at all, aslong as its not in the far left or right my partner can have whatever belief they want. In fact Id prefer a different political view as it forces me to think of things from different perspectives too

• if you can respect the differences thats fine but it seems today that politics is more of an emotive issue than religion so its better if you at least have some common ground

• Depends on how far away the two are on the political spectrum. Farleft and Farright will probably not work out very well.

• Yes, it would make the relationship that much easier.

• Of course not everyone has its own opinions (taste and preferences) , it doesn't mean that u have to share same thoughts on anything while in a relationship, love is not called sacrifice...

• I wouldn't say important because
    it isn't a must. However, I believe
    it to be beneficial to share some
    of the same views on social
    issues.

• it can help for sure. but more important is respect for each others views, values, etc

• Some views like a pro-choice view have a effect on a relationship, others are not.

• only if the other person political views are dangerous, or support any kind of hard to any innocent person

• I think its not the political views are the same but the values. If you dont share values then its not going to work. Personally i value responsibly and self reliance and naturally that makes me more on the conservative side. I dont really want to be with a liberal because they tend to not value those things in the same way and think things like universal basic income is good whereas i think its morally corrupt to accept "free" money. I worry that if you believe in things like that you will be more likely to divorce me and try to take every penny you can in the process. So id not be with someone who didn't share those values with me for example.

• If you're dating for a short period it won't matter.
    If you want to marry the guy it's essential that you share the same basic worldview and religion.

• Very.
    No fascists.
    No liberals.
    No social democrats.
    No "centrists".
    No conservatives.
    No nazis.
    No monarchists.

• I would not have cared so much a few years ago but obviously things have changed

• Somewhat I guess. I mean, I wouldn't date anyone or even be friends with someone that was a neo-Nazi, fascist, or a Trumpite.

• the best way to lose a romantic partner is to state political views. especially if you want to get laid anytime soon.

• Nope as long as neither of you force your beliefs. It all depends how political you are as a person

• Not necessarily exactly the same but at least somewhat the same

• 3d

I'm a Centrist Liberal Monarchist so no Fascists/Nazis or Communists or Republicans ( I don't mean GOP btw) or Putinists.

• Nope i would date a girl whose political party
    is different than mine.

• I dont think so, there could be some discussions, but if you are mature enough is the same shit

• As long as there is respect.. and I do mean respect from both sides, than no it's not important

• No, as long as you too can respect eachother's opinion.

• Yes for me if it’s not the same political view then we are done

• 4d

I think once you age and mature a bit, you'll understand that if someone has a different opinion to you, you can still get along with them and have healthy discussion with them. There might be some friction occasionaly, but that can be healthy and keep the relationship interesting.

• 4d

No that’s not how I am so don’t think that’s how it is. Oh and your answer to my OPINION is wrong

• no it's more important for you to be you, and not go along with other even your partner

• it does help to alleviate arguments but it is not necessary

• No. As long as you don't try to push your view of your partner

• Show more from Guys
    11

What Girls Said 6

• Like Religion, It could be a Problem. xx

• Depends. Is your contrasting political difference about the efficiency on the voting system or whether or not people of color are subhuman?

• No, but I think it's a plus. As long as both people don't discuss it in a toxic way, it doesn't matter.

• Better not to enter into discussion if both have different political views. Sometimes it may lead to antagonism for nothing.

• It’s not necessary but it helps if you have similar political views

• I think it is important